We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cottage on north short of Kauai

North Dakota
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
cottage on north short of Kauai

Any suggestions for a budget cottage on the North Shore of Kauai? I have scanned VRBO. Any PERSONAL experience with any place in particular.

Thanks for any suggestions.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

We split our time between South & North shores. This will be our 4th stay here in Kilauea. It is just like in the photos, only better!

http://www.vrbo.com/131513

Send me a PM if you need more information.

3Chihuahuas

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

We stayed on the north shore in June 09 and July 07. What is your budget? That will help folks make recommendations.

In Jul 2009, we stayed here:

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/275.html

Sister House:

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/276.html

These are RIGHT on the beach.

Also, Hale Makai Cottages are righ ton the beach in Haena:

http://www.halemakaicottages.com/

Anything right on the beach will be more expensive.

And we stayed a Hanalei Colony Resort in June 09. Notreally cottages but we love the area and the complex. www.hcr.com

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

we stayed at anini, 2 bedroom, nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. Don't know what size place you need. I see that new pictures were finally posted by the rental agency to give a better idea of the inside.

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/90.html

Runs $1200 week plus cleaning and tax.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

muffya,

This place on Anini looks great. Was the beach in front too crowded durng the week? We drove down there on a Saturday and it was packed.

Marti

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

It's around the bend from the county park. The only people who came to our section of beach was locals, windsurfers and kite surfers (They liked to use our lawn for set up and take down.) We usually had the beach pretty much to ourselves. It was nice with the kids as we could see the beach from our lanai and watch them as we sipped our drinks.

denville, nj
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

The house next to where"muffya" stayed , called Fortune Cottage is also an option especially if there are only 2 of you. "kimocat" reviewed it previously. It's available thru Serenity Rentals. We rented the property next door to Fortune(on the other side) and as stated the beach was usually not busy at all.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

Muffya, yea that is a great house with a great price! Love the huge lawn. So you are saying the beach right in front of the house has easy access for the kids to get to? How wide was the sand area- how many feet of sand from the ocean to the road there? Is the water pretty shallow there, I know Anini can be real calm with the protected reef- was the ocean pretty shallow and calm in front of that house? I have realized, a house with lots of lawn and the beach in front is the way to go with 3 kids! Thanks for sharing!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

We drove out to the end of the road at Anini and the area around the bend was packed. But it was a busy Saturday. So I know we picked a day to check out the area. I'm still debating on where to stay next June/July. The 1st week will have to be in Poipu but the 2nd week is wide open. But I'm hoping for a place with other kids that are my children's ages.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

Marti- you must have hit a particually busy weekend, because we just didn't see people there on Sat or Sun we were there.

As for the beach. Its a nice beach. Not as many trees as the park area, but some palms to shade. As for width, I'm horrible with trying to figure that out. But, I'd have to say about 30-40 feet of beach from the water to trees (sand part of beach) The road is right at the beach, just a little drop off from the road. The water is very shallow with the reef protecting the beach. Snorkling wasn't the greatest there.

On two occasions, we saw people set up tables on the beach for a little soiree-10-15 people maybe in the evening watching the sun set and having birthday celebrations.

As for 3 kids, it wouldn't work. There is only beds for 4 people. One king and the other is two twins that have been put together. No pull out sofa. Its ideal for a family of 4.

My son (11) loved hanging at the beach and visiting with local kids and families. He learned all kinds of stuff and was taught how to fish hawaiian style. He's very outgoing and social.

I peeked into Fortune cottage next door through the window(no one was staying there!) The kitchen is upgraded, but there is no covered lanai out front, just the side of the house. I don't think the view from the living room is as good as Punahele Hale either. It doesn't have as big of windows and a railing out front that kind of intrudes on the view. Its also more expensive and only sleeps 3.

The measure (in my book) is whether you would stay there again. In a heart beat. Location was great, it was clean, and the price was right.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cottage on north short of Kauai

I know that quite a few of the rentals at Anini have had their permits denied because they are on AG zoned land. Just make sure that whatever place you rent is a legal rental.