We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Can't figure out where to stay, (as in where on the island) for two people in early November. I really can't figure this out and need some help on the weather (heard north shore was bad this time of year)

I'll take suggestions on actual condos/hotels as well.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

North shore surf is iffy by November, but you can still get some lovely, calm days. It will be a little rainier and cooler than the south shore, probably.

South will have more sun and pretty much guaranteed swimming - or at least as far as you can guarantee anything on an island. ;-)

East side has no swimmable beaches to speak of, but they're still beautiful, and there's a nice walking path along quite a bit.

What kinds of things do you want to do? If you want to be out and exploring the island most of the time I'd stay east side for easy access. You'll also be close to grocery stores, shopping and restaurants.

If you want to just lie on the beach, south shore.

What's your budget? That will have bearing on where to stay.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Also, how long are you staying? If you've got 10 days or more you could stay half south, half north.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Aloha!

Poipu Beach(south shore) or Kapaa(east side) would be my choices. Soth shore has great weather and great beaches. East side offers ease for a first time visitor to navigate the island.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Wow, I'm impressed with the quick responses!

We'd probably spend the first few days doing absolutely nothing but laying on a beach, then want to explore the island. Anything outdoors. I'm looking forward to hiking and snorkeling.

Budget is average, my only pet peeve is being tied into paying for overpriced hotel food.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

There are no all-inclusives here, so being locked into eating at your hotel won't be an issue.

If you want your beach time I'd vote for staying on the south shore. You can also snorkel there. You'll have to plan on making a day trip or two up to the north shore.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

My recommendation would be a nice, 1 bedroom condo in Poipu. You can eat out as much as you want and enjoy some meals in. We especially like to have breakfast in the condo. There are several places to choose from but it would help to get a better idea o budget, amentities, etc. My husbandis staying at Waikomo Streams Villas for about $100/night, not on the ocean but fairly close. But other places are either oceanfront or oceanview, etc. My personaly favorite rental agency is Parrish Collection Kauai and you can start there.

http://www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/

Other websites:

www.kuhio-shores.com (ocean front and very nice)

www.kauairentals.com

www.pbvacationrentals.com

www.suite-paradise.com

You can also look at aerial views of these units at

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

These suggestions are great. Lets say the budget is $200/night and would prefer a complex with a pool and either oceanfront or near a public beach.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

Poipu Kai resort would give you the widest variety of pricings. Over 70 acres which includes 6 different developments covering a wide array of prices. You'll find many options in your price range. Units vary widely in price due to location and quality of unit. Suite Paradise has by far the largest assortment of units at Poipu Kai...

http://www.suite-paradise.com/

Look at the aerial view of it at:

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Note however that the aerial of Poipu Kai cuts off the beaches that are right in the lower lefthand corner.

While you're on that aerial views site, take the time to check out all of the developments that are to the left of Poipu Kai, winding along the waterfront. Starting with Nihi Kai, ending at Makahuena. Note though that Poipu Crater is one that is NOT oceanfront. These are all slightly older, good deal, developments directly oceanfront on a bluff and most within walking distance of beaches.

Tucson, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

We are looking into the Pona Kai resort on the south shore i guess. Probably not going to book there from all the reviews we've read. We are utilizing Global Discovery but not yet impressed. Any answers or relief on this company's use for trips? It's all too late now but I would like to hear some good news about these guys. Good luck on your stay. We'll be there in mid November or December 09.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Early Nov, 2 people, where to stay?

<<We are looking into the Pona Kai resort on the south shore i guess>>

I don't think Pono Kai is on the South Shore???? Better check again.