We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Marathon

Colorado
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Marathon

For those of you not aware, the Kauai Marathon is Sept. 6. Here's a link with more info.

http://www.thekauaimarathon.com/

It starts early (6:00 am) so hopefully traffic disruptions will be at a minimum for those not running. Can't think of a more beautiful place to run for those who are!!

Moondance

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is a BIG event - they have currently 1,500 runners signed up - I believe they have cut it off at that number.

They are doing a half as well as a full marathon - it is going to be starting in front of Keoki's and

after winding up Maluhia Road, and thru the small roads around Lawa'i and Kalaheo, comes back to Po'ipu via Koloa Road and the new by-pass - it ends on Ho'onani Rd. down in front of the tennis courts at the Sheraton.

Big event, tons of people - very well organized - my hubby has been training for it for months now - in fact he ran part of the course this morning in Kalaheo in the driving rain - it will be a VERY challenging course for anyone doing it - lots of hills and since it is starting comparatively late for a marathon (6am) - it will be hot and humid out there in no time. At least the local runners have the good fortune to be able to train on the course.

The whole area here on the South Shore (and elsewhere) is gearing up for this event - at a time when our visitor count is way down - this will do really good things for the economy here -- hopefully it will be the first of many (we had a marathon here a few years ago that was a "one off", but not since then) - they are having a big sports expo, pasta feed, and just tons of activities.

If you are a marathon runner, I'd highly recommend it, except I believe they are at the "max" for entries at this point.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Marathon

Hope this will become an annual event! My husband runs half-marathons and this will give me another reason to plan a second visit. ~Natasha

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The brand new "Kaua'i Gold" magazine has on its cover the Kaua'i Marathon and its organizer - some good info on it and it is nice to see it being so heavily promoted!

Now, keep everyone injury free please!

Malama Pono,

Janet

http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Marathon

I'll be there during the marathon - not running though. I truly hope it does give a good boost to the local economy. I'd say they need it.

Janet, I'm staying at the Hyatt during this time. What sort of road closures can we expect during the race? We're thinking of heading out to the north shore on Sunday to kind of avoid the large crowds. Part of me wants to get out and photograph/watch the race, but yet another would like to still enjoy the crowdless peace of the island.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Let's see, if I can find the magazine that Dougie brought home - I know it mentions road closures in it......time delay......nope, it must be on the website....Okay...here it is in it's entirety:

On Sunday, September 06, traffic will flow in and around the Koloa, Poipu, Lawai and Kalaheo areas however, anyone traveling in these areas should allow extra time and proceed with extreme caution. All times listed below are approximate. Traffic flow will be monitored by KPD throughout the course(s).

Poipu Rd will be closed from Kapili Rd., to the Koloa bypass from 5:30 am until 6:15am

The Koloa by pass outbound lane will be closed from 6am until 8:30am. The inbound lane will be open to Poipu bound traffic only during this time.

Maluhia Rd., from the Koloa bypass thru to Hwy 50 will be closed to outbound traffic from 6:15am until 8:30am. The inbound lane will be open at all times however it will be slowed from 6am until 8:30am. All traffic on Maluhia and the Koloa bypass will return to normal by approximately 8:30am.

Hwy 50 from Maluhia west to Omao Rd., will be restricted to alternating one way traffic in the mauka lane from 6:30am until 8:30am. Traffic flow will be monitored by KPD at both Maluhia and Omao Rds.

Omao Rd., from Hwy 50 to Koloa Rd., will be closed to thru traffic from 6:30am until 9:30am. All residents living in this area are advised to use extreme caution if they must enter Omao Rd., during this time.

Koloa Rd., outbound from Koloa to Lawai Valley and Hwy 50 will be open but slowed. The inbound lane will be closed from 6:30am until 1pm. Runners will utilize the makai lane during this time.

Lauoho Rd., and Waha Rd., will be closed to thru traffic from 7:15am until 12:30pm. All residents living in this area are advised to use extreme caution if they must enter either Lauoho or Waha.

Papalina Rd., from Waha to Pu’u Rd., will be restricted to alternating one way traffic in the mauka lane from 7:15am until 12 noon. Traffic flow will be monitored by KPD at both ends.

Pu’u Rd. will be closed to thru traffic from 7:30am until 11:30am. All residents living in this area are advised to use extreme caution if they must enter Pu’u Rd.

As runners retrace their steps via Papalina, Waha, Lauoho and Koloa Rds., those roads will re-open as indicated above, once all runners have passed.

Kukui’ula bypass road (southbound for runners) will be closed to all traffic for both the full and half marathons from 6:45am until 1:30pm. The outbound lane from the roundabout to Koloa Rd. will remain open.

The Poipu Roundabout will be open but traffic will be slowed as runners enter the roundabout from Kukui’ula bypass and cross over to Lawai Rd and then onto Ho’onani Rd. This area will be impacted from 7am until 1:30pm.

Ho’onani will be closed from 5am until 2pm from Lawai Rd., thru to Kapili. Traffic will continue to flow in and out of the Sheraton Kauai Resort via Kapili Rd.

In summary, traffic will flow in and out of all south shore areas but it is recommended that travel in these areas on race day be limited or deferred from 5am until 2pm.

Hope this answers any questions about road closures -even if you aren't running, it should be fun - Po'ipu is going to be really pumping that day!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Marathon

Janet, thanks so much for the detailed response. It does sound like hanging out around Po'ipu that day would be fun.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Marathon

Thanks for posting this, we are transfering down to Poipu on that sunday and while we planned to take our time getting down there, now we know to really take our time. Hope everyone participating has a good time.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yep, my Physical Therapist said that they have had an increase in patients lately due to folks overtraining for the marathon!

It is going to be such a radical change from the rest of the summer here in the Po'ipu area - a pretty slow time here and all of a sudden - POW - tons of people here for that weekend at least - I think a couple of our friends from elsewhere on island who are running are parking at our place...I'll drive the runners down and drop them off....then (if I'm allowed) meet Dougie at certain points along the course with goo and gatorade - whatever he needs....have to make sure that is allowed first obviously.

It is going to be a blast - I love their t-shirt designs....one of them is a big silouette of a chicken - now nothing says Kaua'i like that!! lol!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Here's a link to the Marathon shirts - including the one with the chicken.....if it wasn't black, I'd be buying it...don't do black t-shirts though! I love the design however. You don't have to run the marathon in order to purchase the shirts - only the "finisher" shirts are for the runners obviously.

I always get a shirt from my hubby's races...since I'm his support vehicle and aid station all thru his training...I figure I'm entitled! LOL.

www.thekauaimarathon.com/Merchandise.htm

Just in case anyone is thinking about doing all or part of the course at this point in time - the registration is now closed to all except residents and they will have to register at the marathon "village" itself and not online.

The lu'au is also sold out.

So nice to hear that this event is being supported so fully....practically every organization on island is manning an aid station also - the island is really getting behind it - which is super!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai Marathon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Article from today's paper on traffic advisories for the marathon a week from today (Sept. 6):

Traffic advisory for Kaua‘i Marathon

By The Garden Island

PO‘IPU — The inaugural Kaua‘i Marathon and Half Marathon is scheduled to take place on Sunday, Sept. 6, starting at 6 a.m., and traffic patterns on the South Shore will be affected, according to a county press release.

Anyone travelling along the marathon course in Koloa, Po‘ipu, Lawa‘i and Kalaheo should drive with extreme caution and allow extra time to get to their destination.

Although traffic will flow in and out of these areas during the marathon, it is recommended that motorists limit or defer travel around the south shore from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m.

It should also be noted that the Po’ipu roundabout will be heavily impacted from 6:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Although the roundabout will be open during the marathon, traffic will be slowed as runners enter the roundabout from Ala Kalanikaumaka Road (Kukui‘ula bypass road) and cross over to Lawa‘i Road, and then onto Ho‘onani Road.

Traffic flow will be monitored by the Kaua‘i Police Department throughout the marathon course

Getting close now - the paper even has a daily "countdown" on the days left before the race!

I heard on the radio that over 325 runners from Kaua'i are taking part in this event - that is a HUGE number of folks here - I know some who are running, some who are race/walking and some who are walking.....let's all keep our fingers crossed for perfect marathon weather!

Malama Pono,

Janet