We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

Oregon
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

Aloha! So I am currently on an all expenses paid "working vacation" to Afghanistan, and trying to plan a reuniting vacation to Kauai with my beautiful wife when my tour is over in Feb 2010.

Have poured through this forum, VRBO, and Googled till my fingers hurt! Have a couple ideas, and looking for help/advice from those in the know!

Looking to spend the last week in Feb/First week in March, spend no more than $350/night, and looking for something quiet, romantic, intimate, and breathtaking (I don't want much, huh?)

Potentially really like the look of Hideaway Cove, Coastline Cottages, and Fern Grotto, but open to advice if anyone has a must see, or input on any of the above.

Thanks, and sure appreciate the assistance!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,785 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

Splitting your stay is a good idea but I never consider it unless I'm on the island at least 2 weeks. And I only move once. It does take time to pack up and move and you miss out on a lot of siteseeing time during the day you move. Kauai is not a huge island ad you can easily see the island by car from one location.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Okay, one last comment on this, and I promise it will be the last.....I worked at the Museum today and shared your post with Chris Faye, one of the original owners of Waimea Plantation Cottages and still active in the area - and one of the Sugar Baron families you mention.

She said to let folks know that many former plantation workers actually hold their family reunions at Waimea Plantation Cottages - so I thought I'd share that with you here.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kalaheo
3 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

I think that the Waimea Plantation Cottages would be a great place to stay if you want that feeling of the old Kauai. We have a cousin who stays there when he visits the island with his wife & we love to go spend the evening out there with them. The beach in Waimea isn't the greatest, but the area is very peaceful.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

I've stayed at the Waimea Plantation Cottages and they really are charming and I've had friends stay there as well. We really enjoyed staying right on the ocean and could hear it all night long. We stayed in the one with the wrap around porch. We gave up going to restaurants because we just wanted to eat our meals with our view. Lot's of takeout that trip!

Just be warned that like most habitats near water, the cottages are up off the ground and the chickens particularly like to wander underneath. Now we really love the Kauai chickens and think they are a real hoot! However, at 4 am directly under your bed can be a little startling! After the inital jump we chuckled everytime we heard them and thought it just too unique for words but not everyone enjoys a time challenged rooster like we do! But I would recommend the place if you want something very unique and old Kauai.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

Hi,from to Canadians who wish to bless you for your mission in helping the world find peace. We will also be in Kauai in Feb 2010, we must leave Vancouver as the winter olypmics will be here,and decided Kauai sounds great for us. We have been there many times but the first time to stay in Poipu area, it has the most sun and its very nice .We booked thru VRBO and found a nice condo,there are some fabulous condos in Poipu I guess it depends if you want a kitchen etc. I would suggest your best place for beaches,shops,and great places to eat is Poipu, you must have car,and it takes no time to drive to other places on the island. I would love to hear from you and keep in touch so we can give you and your wife a great big hug. God Bless.Barbara and Salim Nasser

36. Re: Help and advice for February 2010 stay......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:16