We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

Thinking of booking a trip to Kauai and Big Island for late November-mid December. Haven't really done much research yet, other than flight info. Found a great roundtrip fare from home to Kauai. Plan to spend 1 week in Kauai and 1 week in Big Island.

What's the most economical way to travel to both islands? Fly roundtrip from our home to Kauai, and book an interisland roundtrip flight Kauai-Big Island? Or fly one way from home to Kauai, Kauai to Big Island, and Big Island to home? What's the weather usually like at that time? Will it be easy to find reasonably priced quality lodging (nothing fancy, just clean and comfy) at this time too?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,887 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I'll let others help you with your flight questions...I have no idea myself.

As far as weather in late November-mid December....winter weather conditions....rough oceans and high surf on the North Shore...higher probability of rain also on the North Shore as well,

but then it is winter - so rain is certainly something you may have to contend with anywhere here.

I'd look at something here on the South Shore personally...there is usually a higher probability of sun here than any other part of the island during the winter except for the West Side, which is always the warmest and driest part of the island at any time of the year, but with less visitor accomodations.

Our visitor count has been way down here on Kaua'i and if you get right onto it, you should be able to find something - but I wouldn't put it off much longer.

I can't answer for the Big Island....I'm afraid I don't get off-island much...altho' we are hoping for a Big Island trip maybe in October....hope you posted this same question on their forum.

Good luck!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

I don't have an answer for the airfare, just some ideas.

In the end, most airlines are selling you two one-way tickets, that's how they let you choose the flights. Some websites such as kayak.com are like that, and let you do 3-city trips without being so much more like it used to be.

Then it also depends on whether you are on a carrier with direct flights to Kauai or BI. If you fly direct to Kauai, getting a R/T to BI (or vice versa) is fine. But if you fly in and out of Honolulu, you don't want to end up with extra flights. Instead, you could get a R/T from Honolulu, then two R/T timed just right (allow 2 hours in HNL) to Kauai and BI. If you're on code sharing carriers (or all on Hawaiian), they can link your reservations together and forward your luggage.

The only caveat if you book separate airlines is whether they do code-sharing and/or baggage exchanges. We recently got separate Mokulele interisland tickets after taking American to HNL. When the American flight was late, we were stuck with the rebooking fees on Mokulele. No problems on the way back, but we did have to get our bags in HNL, walk to the AA counter, check in again, and go through security again.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

Burrrrr....time to warm up a bit with a trip to Kauai and the Big Island.

If we can book non stop, direct from the mainland to Kauai, or any other island we do. Makes travel a whole lot easier than changing planes, missing connecting flights, loosing lugguage, and hanging around airports.

As far as inter island from kauai, you will be stopping at Oahu, or possibly Maui, for a short time, and then board for your flght to Kona, BI.

Agree, at that time of year, stay on the sunniest side, for the best probability of better island weather.

Also, you might pick up both the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book, and the Big Island revealed to aid you in your planning, and getting around once you are on island.

We are thinking a five day, short visit to the BI in october,and will probably stay in Keahou, about 6 miles south of Kailua, Kona. Condo or hotel, and great snorkeling at Kahalu'u Beach. Much more peaceful, and easy going, than downtown Kialua ,Kona.

Clean and comfy for us, would be the moderately priced condos, or hotels, and there are lists of them in the guide books, with descriptions, prices, ammenties, locations, and phone numbers.

On the south shore of Kauai, you could check out Poipu Kai thru suite paradise...and also Kuhio Shores, and Kiahuna Plantation and see which of those meet your criteria.

Welcome to the islands...

Denny and Erica

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

When we visited the BI and Kauai in May 07, we were able to book frequent flier miles on United DEN-SFO-KOA (or maybe it was through LAX, not sure). We spent four days on the Big Island (not enough time) and then took an interisland flight to LIH. After three days on Kauai (our third visit, but still not enough time), we flew back to KOA and then sat in the airport for a couple of hours until our flight back to the mainland.

I think we flew Hawaiian KOA-LIH (with a plane change in HNL), then Island Air LIH-KOA (with a stop in OGG). I don't think there are any nonstop flights between BI and Kauai.

We really liked the Outrigger Keahou hotel on the BI - clean, comfy, reasonable price, beautiful location.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
885 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

When we do this trip we prefer to fly nonstop to BI/Kauai, take the interisland (which is actually two interisland flights) then fly the nonstop back. If you do a round-trip from either Kauai or BI you will have to do that interisland twice, which can add to the cost and time of your travel. There isn't a non-stop KOA-LIH, so no way to avoid the half day travel and double interisland fare.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

We did a Kauai/BI trip last December. We flew United from Portland to SFO to LIH. LIH to KOA via Island Air. KOA to SFO & then to PDX. They were the most reasonable. I booked it through Travelocity.

BTW, they are my 2 favorite islands. We are heading back to Kauai in 3 weeks! I was telling my husband today I can't wait to just sit by the pool, overlooking the ocean, with a mai tai in my hand.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

BTW, there are no direct flights between Kauai & the BI. You have to either connect thru Maui or Oahu. (not a big deal)

8. Re: Kauai and Big Island -questions on travel, weather, hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:19