We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

We'll be at the Marriott Lihue from Dec.21-26 for our honeymoon. Booked thru priceline at $150 per night a long time ago and now construction is going on. Do you (who live there) think it will be done by Dec. 21st? If not, I might have to see if I can get a refund...don't want lots of construction noise/inconveniences on our honeymoon!

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

This is what the Marriott told me the other day when I called for a guest of mine.

The kid's pool area will still be under construction. The day bar called Kalapaki Grill will not be finished by the end of December and there will be some kind of construction near the garden area, but they said that it could be complete around that time. They just don't know. The kids club will also be under construction but since it's your honeymoon I doubt you'll need the kid's club. Other construction will start back up in January.

Priceline does not refund.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Right now they are jack hammering the area near the pool, and the kalapaki grille ( tiki bar ).

It will still be a while, before they start on the tiki bar itself, and that will be mostly in the kitchen and back, with some minor changes in the working section of the outdoor bar.

I also heard about december, and right now, it is pretty evident that they are working at a pretty good rate.

I have talked with several guests, and asked if they had been aware of the construction going on at the marriot.....and everyone that I have talked with, said that the marriot did not inform them.

Some were not a happy campers, but others just shined it and had a fun time anyway.

December is still a ways off, so I would think that you will probably be pretty much ok.

But, you might keep in contact with the Marriot personnel yourself, and stay up on the project's progress.

Denny

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Do either of you know if the rooms will be done by then? I think that's my biggest concern...I don't want to be in a construction zone in our room (getting woken up early morning by jackhammers). The only other important things to us are sitting by the pool/hot tub for a few hours a day and/or by the beach. The restaurants I could care less about. We can go out to eat. Priceline has refunded before in these cases (I have known a few). I would rather not switch, though. Do either of you have info on the above things?

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

The resort told me the rooms "should" be done a few days before your arrival. "Should" is a big word on Kauai. The St Regis "should have" been open last April.

I think you will be fine. You may hear some construction still going on when you have your window open or when sitting at the pool but you will be there at Xmas and they won't be working during the holiday. Just relax and have a good time.

If you can get a refund from Priceline good for you. I've read their policy and you have to have a pretty darn good reason.

Don't forget to make dinner reservations early for Xmas Eve or Xmas day. I went to Duke's 2 Xmas Eve's ago and by 7 it was packed.

For more information on the Marriott, just call their direct number. The girl I spoke with was very helpful and honest with telling me what construction was going on.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

I was just walking that area yesterday. Lots of folks enjoying the pool and the beach , it looked to me. The walkway along the Kukui grill side was closed up but the pool looked to be wide open. And of course the beach.....no change there.

You asked if the rooms will be ready? Do you mean A room or newly-remodeled rooms? You WILL have a room. Not to worry about that. At no point have they completely shut down the hotel to guests and they certainly won't do this over the holidays. You might not get a newly-remodeled room but you will have a room. My understanding is they're doing a section at a time only. I'm sure they'd try and keep guests as far from any construction as possible. There are like 3-4 seperate buildings.

I'd tell you to call the Marriott a couple of weeks before and lodge a special request for the rooms farthest from the construction. You booked on Priceline for only $150 though. Hate to say it but this is a case where you might get what you pay for. That's a darned low price for this resort at the holidays. Priceline, etc., will generally not be allocated the better rooms for those prices. It's worth a try though.

No matter what, you'll have a room, a great beach and a very nice pool. Walk on down the along the paved walkway running along the water and over to Duke's and a good number of other restaurants. The Marriott restaurants themselves may be closed but you aren't missing much there.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

I will call the hotel. I am sure I can probably call a few days in advance and let them know it's our honeymoon and to put us in a room away from construction. We should be fine if I do this, hopefully. I like the location and I don't want to have to hassle with calling priceline. Good idea on x-mas reservations...I'll look into that tonight. Do you have any suggestions for x-mas eve or x-mas for churches and/or dinner reservations? It would be nice to go to a hawaiian xmas mass.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Napaguy:

Good point about the room you reserve off Priceline. That just happened to me. A hotel I stayed in around the LA area obviously gave us the absolute worse room because we booked it at a very low rate on Hotwire which is the same deal as Princeline. Hotels have a special contract with these sites and block off their below par rooms (this is my experience and my opinion) and you have to really holler and scream if you want a change if anything is available. From about Dec 22-Jan 3 the island is pretty crowded and those that booked either directly through the hotel or using Marriott points probably get the premo rooms. It might be tough to change rooms, but again construction will be after 9AM and probably stops at 5 with little work being done Dec 24-26. I think Sascha will be fine.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Agree, Jebett, about the construction around the holidays. They would be fools to continue, full-steam-ahead, during their busiest and most lucrative time of the year.

Your opinion of Priceline, Hotwire, etal, is mine also. Now we have no proof that this is what happens but it only stands to reason. After all, you've got 2 people checking in. One person booked a room for $290 a night. The other person, booking the identical category, booked it for $150. Who are you going to give the better room to? I know what I would do.

Still, worth the try.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Yes, call the hotel directly...right to their Lihue number, not the toll-free reservationists. The folks who do the room assignments are usually called room auditors. They're located on-premises.

Good luck.

For a nice , traditional holiday dinner with a Hawaiian twist I think I'd try Kilohana.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction done at Marriott in Lihue by Dec. 21st?

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just call and let them know it's my honeymoon and see if they can help us out. I totally understand the rationale, though, but I am still happy we only paid $150 considering we'll be using their pool and beach and getting to use all the amenities of the place, for the most part. If we're really not happy about the room, I'm sure we can pay for an upgrade of some sort, but we aren't going to need it most likely. Not THAT picky...for pete's sake we'll be in Kauai! :)