We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalapaki beach surprise......

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kalapaki beach surprise......

Just crossed off another selection from the " bucket list".

Walked over to Kalapaki beach to see if I could find our friends from the Talk Story bookstore...they are enjoying a 3 day mini vacation at the Lihue Marriot. We are having dinner with them at Dukes ( uptairs) this evening.

Could not find them at the pool or the beach, and noticed a private large open tent, and a sign on the beach, saying massages for a donation....for the Nuimalu Canoe and Paddle Club ( but they are out of Kalapaki Beach ).

Called Erica , and she came over. Aways wanted to have a massage on the beach, but the high cost resort prices were pretty steep, especailly for two of us.

There were two professional tables set up, so we could go at the same time. The two ladies had wonderful aloha filled personalities.

Sign said 15 minutes, and I asked what they would like for a donation, they said $ 15.00..

We both donated $ 20.00 for the 15 minutes prior to the massage.

Great experience...Felt fantastic, could hear the waves breaking on the beach, had fun, and they worked on us for about 30 minutes. We had a grand time and really enoyed their positiveness and easy to relate to attitudes. Super !

cost............$ 20.00 each.

Two things still left on the bucket list at this time.

Skydiving, and a professional helicopter flight lesson. Both are available on island, for visitors who want to add something different into their adventure porfolio.

Don't dream you life, Live your dreams seems like a great idea.

Aloha

Denny

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

sounds wonderful!!! I'm glad that you and your wife got to share the experience together! A massage on the beach has always sounded amazing to me....maybe someday I'll get lucky too!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,102 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

That sounds great. Also sounds like you need to add more things to your list.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Denney - I'd go for the massages in a heartbeat! But you can have the sky diving -- Id be screaming all the way down.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Thanks Kimokat,

I understand....long ago Erica was doing quite a bit of sky diving, and I was flying the fighters but had never had to bail out....although we go over the procedure with our guest pilots, just in case of a midair, or engine fire, or loss of a control surface.

So, a while back, I mentioned that I would like to skydive.

She is all excited and says that she will give it to me as birthday or chirstmas gift.

So I say " Yep, I can do a tandem jump out at Port Allen Airport with Sky Dive Kauai "

She says, " Tandem...you wimp...I'll pay for an accelerated free fall, othewise it is on your dollar"

Acelerated free fall program is being out at the jump site all day long for training and practice on the ground, then in the late afternoon, up you go, and out you go...practicing what you have learned, hurtling toward the planet, with an instructor falling thru space along side of you.

So, the tandem is what I will do, at least the first time, and see how I like it....my attitude is that the instructor who is strapped onto my harness, is not going to let me do anything that is going to hurt him. All will be well.

But, now she says she will probably get me, my helo lesson for a birthday present....so that is even better.

Only problem with the bucket list, is that I have pretty much done any adventure that I wanted to do, and after meeting Erica, added in some more....so any suggestions....other than wrestling with a 25 foot salt water crocodile, and climbing Mt. Everest..

Those two are not on my wish list.

Mahalo,

Denny

boston
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

How about snorkeling/diving in the Great

Barrier Reef Australia? That's a good one (if you

haven't already)...

(this was part of our Honeymoon trip and the

coral life so vibrant with colors is truly

amazing)...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Pretty sure Denny and Erica already did the Great Barrier Reef - I know they went "down under" a couple of years ago.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Sounds like a great experience. We would have done it in a heartbeat!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Yep, had two wonderful live aboard trips. One 4, and then a 3 day trip on the great barrier reef and the coral sea. ( two different visits, of 30 days each.....to long a flight for a short stay down under)

For Scuba divers, we went with Spirit of Freedom, on those two different aussie vacations. Wow !

Also, other aussie snorkel ( not Scub)experiences , sailing and snorkeling Blue Pearl Bay and other sites in the Whitsunday islands, and a small day boat out to McKay reef off Capt Tribulation.

Totally agree with a huge Wow ! rating. Amazing. They have plenty of day boats that provide snorkeling the reef, for those who are not certified divers, as well as intro dives for those who might want to try that.

May every snorkeler and diver get the opportunity to explore the land of oz, what a wonderful experience.

And add in lots of fun, hiking, white water rafting, and exploring of queensland. ( reminds me of hawaii )

In a few days, we will be headed over to the Big Island, here in hawaii, on Oct 1 thru 5 to snorkel the beautiful clear and colorful coral reefs.

Much better diving and snorkeling on the BI, than our beloved home island of Kauai....I know, I know, but that is just what mother nature has given us.

For kauai bound visitors, we are finding Lawaii Beach is pretty darned good for our Scuba fun. As well as being the easiest to get to as far as parking and walking. Again...go early.

The magical garden island is ready to welcome you all.

Mahalo,

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Sorry about that:

LAWAI BEACH is pretty great for SNORKELING fun...

( Scuba is actually down the road at Koloa Landing, or out on a boat dive at the sheraton caverns.

Denny

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalapaki beach surprise......

Denny, I could not agree with you more about OZ in general. I was blessed to go to the GBR for a day excursion, although I only snorkeled. Floating, in a pink speedo, FIVE feet above a giant clam is a very intense experience. Especially watching him/her open and close the shell just a bit as you swim over. Know what I mean brother?

I love your attitude toward life and adventure. Very refreshing. (But you told me once; meeting Caddy was one of the special items on your bucket list! Wink!)