We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

I’m thinking about a split stay on Kauai late next month (Oct). We will likely stay at the St. Regis 2-3 nights and would like to split that up with a rental for the remaining 4-5 nights. I have read through a bunch of posts on this forum suggesting a north/south split, but I’m not sure it makes sense for my husband and I. Princeville looks like a tourist mecca, as does Poipu, so I’m wondering whether we should look into somewhere with a little more…solitude…We’ve never been to Kauai so we don’t have any real expectations. We both like the idea of maybe renting a little cottage, especially to break up our visit from the St. Regis, which I expect will be very resort-like.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

We’re young and active travelers so we don’t mind moving around. We’re just hoping to get a good feel for Kauai on our first short trip.

Thanks!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Nowhere on Kauai meets my visions of what a tourist mecca is. Rest assured it is nothing like the touristy areas of Oahu or Maui even. In both places, Poipu or near Princeville, you can find cottages or small homes. Not necessarily Princeville proper, but just go down the hill into Hanalei and you'll find them there. Or Anini Beach or Haena area.

Martik usually has great advice on small homes or cottages in or near Poipu. Maybe she'll chime in here. Others will for sure give you info. on cottages on the north shore. I'd do some digging myself but the wife is nagging me to start getting ready to head to Mahaulepu. On that note, you can't find more solitude on Kauai than what you'll find at Mahaulepu, which IS a south shore beach in fact.

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

How about something on Moloa'a beach?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

I know the Poipu area fairly well. We usually always rent a house. How much are you willing to spend? There are some very quiet neighborhoods in Poipu and nothing is really that touristy. Beach front, ocean view, condo vs cottage vs house, etc.

I put together a pretty extensive list for another poster but they were looking for 3 bedroom places.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k30773…

Let me know.

Also, you might consider the west end. We love Waimea Plantation Cottages! Check that out for a real non-touristy place.

www.waimeaplantationcottages.com

I visited Moloaa Bay in June. Mostof the homes are not for rent. I checked out a few of them, and most havenot applied for a rental permit or havebeen denied. Moloaa Bay is also considered North Shore, at least it's up that direction.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Sorry, not clear on Moloaa Bay. 7 year old interrupted me....

Most of the homes on Moloaa Bay are not for rent. Of the ones that are for rent, non of the them have a rental permit that I can find on the TVR website. I emailed 4 of the owners and asked them their TVR status. One told me she was denied a permit, one told me he did not bother to apply and the third never got back to me. The fourth rental is for sale.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

If you want to stay in 2 very different areas than a north/south split would make sense as the topography is quite different. The south is drier and does not have the dramatic, tropical and lush mountains/cliffs as the north.

If you are looking for 2 very different experiences on the northshore than combining the St. Regis with a cottage/home on Hanalei Bay which is a gorgeous beach with some very remote areas. Haena is also located in a stunning setting and would be more remote than Hanalei and has some fablulous snorkeling beaches. Anini is also quite beautiful, yet I have never found the setting to be as spectacular as some of the other areas..JMO. Kilauea has some charming cottages with wonderful ocean views. All would be close to great hikes, Kayacking and a wonderful variety of beaches.

The only downfall by staying the entire time on the Northshore is you are quite a distance from hiking or visiting in the waimea canyon. But it can be done with an early start.

Do a little more research and once you decide on the area you want to stay in many will have suggustions on cottage/homes.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Also I did not intend to convey that the South is not beautiful as I find all of kauai beautiful it is just personal preference.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Wow, thanks everyone! I know my question was pretty vague, so I appreciate all of your thoughtful posts.

I did a little more research and it seems like the north shore has more of what we’re looking for. Sallyho’s comment that we can get up and drive early to Waimea reinforces this. While I like the idea of having a cottage, from some really quick searching I found that a lot of the free-standing housing required a week of renting, which we won’t be able to do. We’re not opposed to renting a condo unit in a quiet area, so I think that will be fine.

I will be doing some Hawaii guidebook reading soon and I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.

October is coming up fast so I'd better make some decisions soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

If you want to go even further than Poipu, you might consider the southwest - Kalaheo, Hanapepe, Waimea. I will be there about the same time as you and will be spending a week in Princeville followed by two nights in Waimea - just because I've never stayed anywhere but Princeville before.

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Warning! You will get spoiled by the views of the St Regis so think about finding a rental with the same outstanding views. If you don't you might feel cheated.

denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split stay- Princeville and ? (not Poipu?)

Don't give up on cottages..contact owner or rental agent first. Many will work with you if they have an empty slot on their calender. We rented a home last Oct that had absolutely beautiful views of the mountains/waterfalls behind the property (on 5 acres)...to wake up with those views through the floor-to-ceiling windows was the best part of trip!