We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's on your Costco shopping list?

Pismo Beach, Calif.
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic

My wife and I are arriving Thursday and plan to shop at Costco before heading over to our condo for two weeks.

What do you recommend we buy at Costco? We'll probably eat in about half the time for dinner, pack lunches, and have coffee and something light in the mornings.

California
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

I usually don't shop at Costco unless the entire family is there. The sizes are just too large, but their steaks are excellent, wine a good price and then there's Famous Amos's new frozen cookie dough in chocolate chip macadamia nut. That was worth the trip to Costco alone. I might go just for that this trip and make them for the TA party on the 25th.

Burlington...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

The already cut up veggies are a must. We find that they actually get eaten if they are already cut. Also the rotisserie chicken, makes for easy sandwich rolls. And last but not least, the big bag of Dark Chocolate Kona Coffee covered Macadamia Nuts. They are to die for and a big bag is less than a small bag at the market.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

LOBSTER TAILS!!! Cook 'em on the bbq at our condo. I take the Costco seafood rub with me in a baggie and sprinkle it on & baste with butter. What a treat!

Everything else is too much for just the two of us.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

Thanks for this thread Dg...!

We've found that here at home, for us, the savings at Costco equal roughly the annual fee, so we let our membership lapse since it was a saw-off. However, if there are some really good items and/or deals at Kauai Costco, we may renew before our trip.

On that note, I really appreciate hearing about everyone's best Costco purchases and advice!

Escondido...
Level Contributor
375 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

I buy beer, muffins, meats, lunch meats, water, rum, malibu rum, and pog juice. I am traveling with my husband and my daughter and her husband. We eat 3 dinners out and cook at our condo 4 nights. We will eat out lunch half of the time and make breakfast in the condo. I like to buy local fruits and some vegetables too. You will save a lot compared to the local grocery stores in Hawaii. I make a menu before I leave home so I know what I need. Some of the items such as mayo and mustard I bring from home in my checked luggage or I will buy them at a larger grocery store near Lihue. Have a fun trip.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

Gas. It's usually cheapest there than anywhere else - took us a while to find the station though - it's a fair distance from the actual store.

I may stop in this trip to find matching aloha shirts for Baby Blue, DH, and Grandpa Blue (three generations - I gotta do it!). I read a review of Hilo Hatties that said while all their shirts are made in Asia, many times you can find "proudly made in Hawaii" at Costco. Can anyone confirm that?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
877 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

Beef for the bar-B, wine, soda, macnut pie! Then of course the latest trashy novel, a beach toy or two, a big bag of Maui sweet onion chips, hawaiian sweet bread, and cut papaya/pineapple. Then for the trip home, dark chocolate mac nuts, Kauai coffee, a big box of Caramacs, and at Christmas all those great prepackaged local gift packs for folks at home.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Of course Costco is known for the big-pack type items....but you'd be surprised how many things are available for just a couple - there is just my hubby and myself here at home and we shop there every week.

Some of the things we buy:

Artisan-style bread (roasted garlic, rosemary and olive oil, baguettes)

Imported Cheese

4-pack veggie trays - each one good for one lunch.

Acai berry juice

Fresh salsa

Kona coffee or Starbucks coffee

fresh-made ahi poke

Also, they have great island style clothing - boogie boards, beach towels, beach toys, snorkel stuff, and of course everything and anything macadamia! Tons of local interest books (fiction and non) - great Hawaiian CD's (at $11.99 compared to $17.00 at Borders).

Anyway, just some of the things that we get - with just two of us! I'm leaving out the Boca burgers, veggie enchiladas, etc. that are staples in our household as well since they do normally come in 4 packs.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Marysville...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

I know that the Costco here in our state has discount coupons you can buy. Do they offer anything like that at the local Costco there?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's on your Costco shopping list?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There are no "discount" coupons here for the store that you can "buy" - but there is a "coupon book" that you just pick up at the front door - the new one starts on Sept. 17th here.

It gives you percentage discounts on certain items in the coupon book - just like a regular coupon book for any grocery store.

Malama Pono,

Janet