We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Kuhio? location?

Freeland, Washington
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Prince Kuhio? location?

Previously we have stayed at the Waiohai in Poipu and at a fabulous home we booked through the owners but are looking to go back next year as a much smaller group. I am looking at condos and I think I saw somewhere that Prince Kuhio is across the a rather busy road from Kuhio Shores - not that I know these places but I want some idea of location.....thanks for your help

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

The Prince Kuhio and Kuhio Shores are down closer to the Spouting Horn and the Beach House Restaurant. The Lawai Beach Resort is directly across from the Beach House Restaurant and a few doors up from the Prince Kuhio.

You can use the map below to look at them.

www.wizardpub.com/Kauai/kauaerials.html

The Waiohai is a much better location in my opinion, it gives you easy access to the Poipu shopping Center and its restaurants and shops & nice beaches. You might also look at the Kiahuna Plantation.

I am sure you can find 1 or 2 bedroom places if you are looking for smaller locations.

Try VRBO & Home Away.

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

Yes it across the street from Kuhio Shores.

www.maui-rbc.com/maps_kauai/poipu_map.htm

It is VERY different than the Marriott. Lower budget.

I would choose Kuhio Shores over Prince Kuhio any day.

http://www.kuhio-shores.com/

Freeland, Washington
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

Thanks for the replies....I am looking at a condo at Poipu Kai and a few other places....the people we rented our house from (fabulous place) last year also manage some rentals so we have a pool to choose from...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Prince Kuhio isn't bad, it is an older complex that sits across the street from the ocean and the condo of Kuhio Shores. It has a nice little pool and

bar-be-ques - some of the units are older and some have been newly renovated and have lovely ocean views with Prince Kuhio Park on one side of them where their lanais sit.

It is a lower priced property so it isn't very fancy and doesn't have lots of bells and whistles - but I don't have any problem with it - when my Mom was going to move here in fact, we rented her a condo there - which was very nice - didn't ultimately have to use it....but still, we looked pretty thoroughly at the property and it wasn't bad, much less "touristy" in fact, which was good in our case.

Obviously the Marriott Waiohai is much more expensive and more of a fancy resort - it also sits right on Po'ipu Beach as you know - so again, two completely different types of properties - one a nice somewhat "budget" type condo in a good location and the other much more upscale and "resorty".

Waiohai is in the middle of the Sheraton/Kiahuna/Ko'a Kea area of resorts and hotels, the Prince Kuhio is close to Lawa'i Beach Resort, Kuhio Shores, Beach House Restaurant and has a nice little snorkeling beach just across the street about 1/2 a block - a nice walking path will take you along the ocean all the way down to Spouting Horn also.

Apples and oranges really.

Depends on what you are looking for I'd say.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Whidbey Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

Hi, I just returned from Kauai. We stayed in unit 235 at the Prince Kuhio Resort. We rented from Poipu Connections, and I was actually suprised that the room is much nicer than it shows on their website, and we had a great view of the ocean and especially the Prince Kuhio park, rather than staring at a bunch of condo buildings. Lawai road that runs in front of the Prince Kuhio is not very busy at all, and the speed limit is 25mph, so no problems walking across, plus most drivers drive with aloha, so no problems bradda! The snorkling is Great right across the street, and the area is great for morning walks throught the residential area nearby. The grounds of the Prince Kuhio are very nicely kept, with lots of trees and shrubs. The pool is very well maintained, and plenty big enough for a swim. The Condo building is undergoing renovation at this time, and I am sure it will be finished soon. As a result of the renovations, we received a generous discount on our unit during our stay, with a great rebate check upon our departure. I enjoyed the feel of the condos, as they are an older structure, and a little off the beaten path. It was very quiet and relaxing there.

Or if you want glitz, and a crowd, try one of the mega resorts in Poipu....I would definately rent at the Prince Kuhio again.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

Aerial view of Prince Kuhio.....

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krprincekuhio.html

This area is much different from where you when staying at the Marriott Waiohai.

For the same price of just a little more you can do better. IMO.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

A friend of mine has a penthouse condo there at Prince Kuhio. She lives on island and keeps up very well and is easy to work with. If you enjoy renting directly through an owner, you can add this one to your choices.

www.vrbo.com/71763

Also, Kuhio Shores right across the road are great options. Again, renting directly through the owners is easy with that property too.

http://kuhioshores.net

While the area is a little further removed from the shopping and restaurants near the Waiohai, you'll find the Lawai Road area to be a great place too. Have fun planning your trip!

8. Re: Prince Kuhio? location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2010, 06:22