We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tako poke

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tako poke

All of these food posts are making me long for the tako poke we discovered at Hanalei Dolphin...I am back home in San Antonio nowand am wondering if there is anyone that shares this particular craving and if so have they found something similar in Texas? Yummm..

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tako poke

This is one poke that's easy to make on the mainland, except for getting the fresh limu. Boil the tako and slice it and follow one of the many tako poke recipes you can find with a Google search. I'd bet that the HD would give you their recipe if you called them. If you want to spend the $$'s for overnight shipping for the fresh limu let me know and I'll IM you some sources on the Big Island.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tako poke

yaleigh, small world. I'm in San Antonio also and I had a craving for poke also. I was particularly pleased with the poke that they had at the Foodland in Princeville-somewhat simple but very tasty. There is this great person on this forum, Jebett, who, on her recent trip to Kauai, took the time to purchase the ingredients I needed and also shipped them to me. She refused to accept payment for her trouble. So, as a tribute to her and in an effort to spread the aloha here in S.A., I am willing to share those ingredients and recipes with you. Let me know if you're interested. Send me a pm.

And Jebett, thanks a million.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tako poke

Well you said you would smear my name all over the internet if I didn't!!!! LOL

Was more than happy to make you happy. The recipe is on the back of the packages. I tried to get my cousins recipe but she wasn't home today. I sent you 6 packages so maybe you can spare one to your SA neighbor.

Let us know how your batch turns out.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tako poke

Ooh, how embarrassing!! I just found out tako poke is a totally different dish. Still,valeigh, the offer stands

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tako poke

Latin American ceviche is *somewhat* similar to poke. Actually, it has lots of different flavors, but the idea of marinated raw fish eaten as a salty appetizer is the same. I believe they make it with tako (octopus) as well sometimes.

6. Re: tako poke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 05:19