We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another request for itinerary comments

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yet another request for itinerary comments

Aloha!

I'm going to be going to Kauai from December 2nd through the 16th, and am really trying my best not to overplan things. If I were to move my trip up to right now, with the way I'm feeling, I'd be tempted to park myself either on Hanalei Bay or Anini Beach with a note requesting a wakeup for my return flight.

Still, this is my second time to Kauai, and I want to absorb as much as possible.

A bit about my interests: This past weekend, I attended the Pacific Islander Festival in Huntington Beach where I wound up spending most of the time at the cultural demonstrations given by the Samoan contingent. An 'awa ceremony was followed by coconut husking, then firemaking. Since I was the only audience member left by the time they actually got a fire going, when the guys started weaving coconut fronds into baskets, they offered to attempt to teach me how. Much practice remains. That, in my opinion, was an afternoon well spent, even though I missed the dancing from most of the Pacific Island groups. So, any cool cultural suggestions are much appreciated. Especially if they involve coconuts. :)

If it helps, the first week I'm spending at the HBR, the second week at Kauai Cove Cottages in Koloa.

Okay, here's what I've got for an itinerary so far:

Day 1: Arrive around 2:23, figure 3:30 by the time I'm out of the airport. Assuming I'm up to it, stop off at the Kapaa sunshine market, probably visit Safeway in Kapaa as well. Once I'm settled into the condo, I'm going to want some kind of ritual dunk in the ocean, whether it's at the beach at the HBR, or backtrack to Anini.

Day 2: Since I'll be on Mainland time to some degree, should be easier to get going early enough to do the first (non-permit part) of the Kalalau trail. Of course, when I get to the trailhead, an assessment might give way to spending the day at Ke'e Beach instead, but if I do it, finish the hike with some time at Ke'e. Might be tempted to try to make it to the Kileauea sunshine market.

Day 3: Contemplating a zipline tour at Princeville Ranch. Is it best to reserve soon, or wait until I get there? I'd like to visit Tunnels, and am aware it may be a sit on the sand and watch the surf adventure rather than a snorkelling adventure, but will be prepared for either. Might be a good time to practice coconut frond weaving.

Day 4: Do the first 5 miles of the Powerline trail, maybe take a nice little drive around of Hanalei Valley. Make a visit to Hideaways beach, and most likely the Kileauea sunshine market. Sensing a theme yet?

Day 5: it's a Sunday, so I'm thinking about visiting the Hanalei church, then head to the Kauai products fair with a stop at Sealodge Beach, and then do a Sierra Club hike to Okolehao.

That's about as far as I've gotten. I think I want to spend a full day at Waimea Canyon, and a full day at Polihale.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. much welcome.

Mahalo!

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

By the way, I've got my itinerary planner divided by the categorys of sunshine markets, beaches, culture and activities.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Bill,

With those dates youi shuld be able to catch a couple of local highlights. The Parade of Lights should be the first weekend in Lihue. We had lots of fun there last year - during the afternoon, the museum was wide open, there were booths for food and crafts, etc. We loved it. Met people, had fun. Terrific parade.

Also, watch for the NTBG Craft Fair at Allerton - and go relatively early. Im sure it will be on a Sunday. Lots of food, crafts and last year they had an open tent with massage and chiro treatments! It is a fundraiser for the Garden, so doubly worthwhile.

These are the kind of things we love to add to our Kauai time! Anyway, if you are interested, check the paper or perhaps even here to get details closer to time.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Bill, we will be at HBR at the same time!

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Cool, herbalgirl! Sounds like the beginning of a TA get-together?

That Festival of Lights sounds great, it's going on the itinerary. According to the Kauai visitor's bureau travel planner, it's on December 4.

Has anyone here been to the West Kauai Craft Fair at the technology center?

When I first booked my flight, December was a long ways off, but now I'm starting to really look forward to Kauai.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Yeah, that would be fun. My mom and I will be at HBR between Dec 3-6, leaving on the 6th.

We have never been to the island. We are so excited!

Staying at jbett's place for half the trip.

We will be on the south shore while you are packing for your trip.

Herbal/Annette

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

By the way, if any of these activities sound fun to Annette or anyone else who's going to be there, adventure buddies are certainly welcome.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Aloha Bill,

Keep your fingers crossed the surf will be down on North Shore in December or you may need to move further south for your first “dunk”.

Day 4 – Kilauea Market is from 9-11 am. Farmers Markets link:

www.trykauai.com/Kauai_Farmers_Markets.htm

Here’s another suggestion for Day 4, for Cultural experience, consider the Kauai Museum Craft Fair and then the Parade of Lights in the evening

Link:

kauaimuseum.org/visit/events/christmas.html

The Kauai Products Fair you mention in Day 5 – if you’re talking about the one mauka of the hwy in Kapaa – it’s mostly imported junk….There is a Kauai Products Store in Lihue at the Kukui Grove Shopping Center.

>>> So, any cool cultural suggestions are much appreciated. Especially if they involve coconuts. :)<<<<

Not sure if this really counts, but many of the tree trunks on the grounds of the Hindu Temple have split coconut husks attached to them with orchids, staghorn ferns, bromeliads, even impatients growing from them. Cool idea and it looks gorgeous.

Didn’t make it to the West Kauai Craft Fair even though it was on my list….

3Chihuahuas

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Bill, I may have to count on you to keep track of all these cultural activity options.

I'm already getting overwhelmed just dealing with my mom's lack of planning. She wants to wait til we get there to "see how we feel."

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

Did you say a whole day at Polihale?? Have you been before?

It is very Hot and usually extremely windy there. We have only been in February...but as dramatic and beautiful a spot it is......Could not tolerate a whole day.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another request for itinerary comments

LOL! Just read Calypso's blog and decide about Polihale for a day. Hilarious pics and comments.