We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon Jan 1-15

boston
2 posts
Save Topic
honeymoon Jan 1-15

Hi All,

We are trying to plan a 2 week honeymoon in Kauai and need some recommendations on were to stay. Our budget is about 4K with Hotel, Car & Flights. We are looking to go Hiking, Kayaking, beach swimming and mostly outdoor activities.

Thanks for any replies, I know that the Hyatt is way out of price range but I'm just worried about the time of year and which part of the Island is swimmable.

Thanks

Erin & Luigi...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You are coming during the winter - generally the weather here on the South Shore is the best during that time of year (except for the West Side, which is always the driest and warmest part of the island)so I'd recommend staying here in the Po'ipu area for the best chance for sun and swimming (always check daily ocean conditions however!) - some places to look into that I'd recommend would be:

Sheraton Kaua'i (hotel), Kiahuna Plantation, Kuhio Shores, Nihi Kai Villas, Po'ipu Kai, Sunset Kahili and Po'ipu Palms - these latter are all condos.

Good luck!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

There was a thread about specials that Costco is having for The Hyatt. Maybe you could stay there at least a few nights. Its a great hotel.

The ocean conditions on the South side will be excellent. I would spend the majority of your 2 weeks in Poipu. Maybe stay on the North Shore for 4 or 5 days to cut down on the driving. I was on the island last January during the same time and had good weather the entire time except the last night. There was a huge storm all over the island. But 1 out of 10 days wasn't bad.

I would suggest you buy a guide book and start reading on some hotels and top condos on the island.

There is a search box above and you can type in rental cars, hotels etc and lots of old threads will pop up.

Another suggestion is to stay part of the time on the East side at places like Islander on the Beach, Wailua Bay Villas or Kauai Coast Resort. I've seen some pretty good prices for WBV and Islander on VRBO.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

It is nice to split your stay north and south, but it usually ends up costing you more dmoney too -- no discdounts for longer stay, two outclean fees, a half day wasted moving. But jebett is right, you get to sample both areas more easily. On the other hand we spent our first three or four trips staying on the eastside in the middle of the island and enjoyed it there very much -- easy to go both directions. The Islander is a good budget alternative, but for two weeks, I'd prefer a larger condo. Islander is converted hotel rooms with a small kitchenette, usually with mocrowave and mini-frig. Kaha lani is a nice choice just south of Wailua next to a golf course and there are no other condos nearby, so the beach is very quiet. The surf can be a little rough there, but you can walk down to Lydgate Park easily which has ad protected swimming area. Kaha Lani units all have oceanviews and they have full kitchens and separate bedrooms. They are a good value too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

Hotel or condo? Most honeymooners seem to like the full services of a resort hotel with all the amenitities, restaurants, etc. So I'll stick with hotels here.

On that note I'd look for a deal on the Hyatt. You might find a deal that meets your budget. If not, don't discount the Sheraton. It's a great place on a fantastic beach. Just make sure you ask for rates for the Ocean Wing or Beach Wing. I'm not sure if Koa Kea is still offering any introductory openintg specials in January but it's worth a shot. If not it would be out of your budget range for sure. It sits right on Poipu Beach also, like the Sheraton.

Weather can be a little bit more tempermental in Lihue in January but I would check out the Lihue Marriott. Great place with a great pool, on a swimmable beach, bars, restaurants, just 10 minutes from the airport, cheaper than Hyatt.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

We always preferred to have a condo, and that helped a great deal with the outlay of cash. Big time !

Eating meals out here, can be extrememly expensive, and can chew into a mild budget rather quickly.

Yep, we would eat dinner out once in a while, but mostly made breakfasts at our poipu kai condo, after a morning hike along the makawehi dunes and cliffs just beyond the hyatt.

Also, for dinners, we actually enjoyed bbqing fish , chicken or steak, and sipping on a glass of wine, and having dinner privately out on the lanai.

Just added a salad, and done deal.

Also, it was much more private and less populated than a mega hotel, and that included walking around the propety, as well as swimming in the semi private pool for our particular section.

Swimming and snorkeling at walkable poipu beach park, and also preferred snorkeling at Lawai Beach, a very short drive.

Hiking trials, additional beaches, and photo ops at different vistas are all free.

kayaking up the wailua river and hiking to secret falls is really neat. Does cost, but not bad.

Living here, we do all kinds of outdoor activities that do not require paying a fee. Hiking, volunteering for beach clean ups, snorkeling, bike riding ( minimal cost ), bbqing at poipu, lydgate, or anini, kayaking solo on one of our rivers, and or bays ( minimal cost )....so it is totally possible to enjoy much of kauai, without spending tons of bucks.

Of course , it is totally up to you and as dave says, many honeymooners may not want to fix any dinners...and dine out for all of their meals.

No worries, you do have all kinds of choices.

Congrats,

Denny and Erica

6. Re: honeymoon Jan 1-15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 05:17