We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for the physically limited

Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for the physically limited

Hi everyone. My husband and I are making our first trip to Kauai next week, and while we're open to just about everything, physically I am unable to complete any very strenuous hikes or dives. I can walk for a long time, but due to a knee problem I can't navigate any very slippery or muddy terrain.

I've been lurking for a while and reading up on options, but unless I missed it, I haven't seen any discussion of options for those of us who aren't at our strongest. I know I can't be the only Kauai vacationer who can't complete an 8-mile hike :) Thanks in advance.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Recommendations for the physically limited

Aloha Lolamaria :)

All three times I went to Kauai I weighed over 300#. Yes, you can gasp. Fortunately I'm not at that scary place anymore. Anyway, I did and saw plenty, even that physically unfit. I went to a Rodeo on a Sunday morning ~ I took tours of Grove Farms, the Waimea Cottages, Lihue Museum, and Waiohi(sp?) Misssion House up in Hanalei. I went to Smith's Luau, and visited the heiau at the mouth of the Wailua River and looked for petroglyphs. I don't believe I ever found them. I "swam" at Lydgate Park where I felt safe from being sucked out to sea, and even did a little bit of snorkling at Lydgate. I visited two of the botanical gardens, the one down in Poipu, and the Na Aina Kai(sp?) I think it is up by Anahola. I went to Slack Key Guitar concerts up in Hanalei, and drove out to Ke'e Beach and took a short little non-threatening-in-any-health-way hike up to the Hula Heiau which is absolutely lovely. I, at Denny's suggestion, climbed Shipwreck Rock down at Shipwreck Beach. You can drive to so many beautiful locations on the island and just get out of the car and soak in the atmosphere. You can drive to waterfalls, blowholes, fantastic vistas everywhere on the island. Even when you're not a top physical specimen of athleticism :) Pick out a good guidebook and read about all the places you can visit and things you can do. And then if you've time after all your sightseeing, you can simply sit on the beach and read a good book!

You'll have a ball! Just be smart about your physical limitations and don't take any unnecessary risks.

jc

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommendations for the physically limited

How about just enjoy yourself on your Holiday and do what feels good? Not everyone visiting Kauai is doing 10 mile hikes, kayaks or swings off the tops of trees. Some of us go to Kauai to sit on our okoles, decompress and recharge, and not because of physical limitations. We live plenty stressful and active lives on the mainland - have to hang loose somewhere. My cents here..

Hi Jeri :-).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Recommendations for the physically limited

On the North Shore, the Hawaiian Slack Key Concert by Doug and Sandy McMaster is an excellent experience - Fridays at 3 PM, Sundays at 4. We are planning to go back this Sunday, repeating our experience of last year.

A helicopter tour, although expensive, is such a good way to see the island for the first time, and it is non physically demanding.

Then there are always the luaus - take your pick of several, in the end they are pretty similar. There are many good options which are not too strenuous. You will have a wonderful time.

14. Re: Recommendations for the physically limited

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:17