We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

There are many discussions on this subject if you do a search above. Lydgate Park is always a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Just remember Jr will probably be getting up pretty early and require napping in the afternoon so your tourist schedule will be wrapped about him.

Walmart and Kmart have good sand toys and boogie boards with windows that little ones seem to enjoy.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,448 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

Poipu Beach Park has a terrific protected bay for kids. Monk Seals and Sea Turtles often come ashore - something fun to look at, from afar of course. There is also a slide and maybe a swing, tables and benches. There is Brennecke's restaurant for a decent lunch with a view.

Add a few great dinners and this would be the extent of what I do on Kauai

:-) . On a serious note, keep the kid lathered with a 50 waterproof SPF since it is very easy to fry to a crisp, particularly for a small child.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

We've been traveling to Kauai with our kids since they were infants. Our activities have chaged over the years but they still both love the Kalamani Playground at Lydgate Park. They call it the "maze" park. We spend at least 2 mornings there on a 1 week trip.

They also love the Bird Talk Show and Koi feeding at the Hyatt Hotel. Feeding the koi is usually at 9:00 and Bird Talk show at 10:00. Check with the concierge on the exact schedule (742-1234).

Baby's Beach is also a very kid friendly beach in Poipu. It's tucked away in a small residential neighbrhood.

Maha'ulepu Beach area has a fun little walk. My children love eploring this area. There are severl kid friendly hikes on Kauai. Check out http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/

Also, make sure to spend some time indoors, especially in the afternoons. When my son was 2, we hired a babysitter to watch him while we played golf. She put plenty of sunscreen on him but he still got heat stroke. It was a minor case but it scared me to death!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

I'm so sorry was this in the summer?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

<<I'm so sorry was this in the summer?>>

The heat stroke incident happened in either March or June or September. We traveled to Kauai quite a lot before the kids started in school. My husband has business on the island. But any time of year, the sun on Kauai can get quite intense and even with tons of sunscreen, a little one can get too much sun. Also, the sitter was recommended by a local hotel. I use Happy Kids Kauai now and they are excellent.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

Hi, just returned from two weeks in Kauai with our 2 1/3 year old last week. I would echo the comments from previous posters. Our daughter was ready to hit the beach every day, and while our favorite is Maha'ulepu, we spent more time at Baby Beach and Poipu Beach this trip. I'd have to say Baby Beach was our favorite with a 2 yr old.

We also went to Kilauea Lighthouse (another favorite of ours) -- DD mostly loved sitting in the guest house reading all of the kids' books. She also loved the free hula show at the Poipu Shopping Village which is on Tues and Thurs at 5 pm.

We wanted to do the children's garden on the north shore but it was closed for renovations while were there. :-(

Finally, the nice restaurants really catered to our 2 yr old -- Roy's, Tidepools were especially good with their multi-course meal and toys/crayons for the keiki, and the fish in Tidepools kept her entertained as well. Keoki's was also good in this regard.

We tend to relax a bit more when traveling with the young one and try not to squeeze as much into each day. We always invest in an umbrella so we can take it to the beach with us -- slather up with SPF 50 and many afternoons she'd nap under the umbrella on the beach, which was bliss!!

Have a great time!!

Also, the nice restaurants really catered to our 2 yr old.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

Hi, just returned from two weeks in Kauai with our 2 1/3 year old last week. I would echo the comments from previous posters. Our daughter was ready to hit the beach every day, and while our favorite is Maha'ulepu, we spent more time at Baby Beach and Poipu Beach this trip. I'd have to say Baby Beach was our favorite with a 2 yr old.

We also went to Kilauea Lighthouse (another favorite of ours) -- DD mostly loved sitting in the guest house reading all of the kids' books. She also loved the free hula show at the Poipu Shopping Village which is on Tues and Thurs at 5 pm.

We wanted to do the children's garden on the north shore but it was closed for renovations while were there. :-(

Finally, the nice restaurants really catered to our 2 yr old -- Roy's, Tidepools were especially good with their multi-course meal and toys/crayons for the keiki, and the fish in Tidepools kept her entertained as well. Keoki's was also good in this regard.

We tend to relax a bit more when traveling with the young one and try not to squeeze as much into each day. We always invest in an umbrella so we can take it to the beach with us -- slather up with SPF 50 and many afternoons she'd nap under the umbrella on the beach, which was bliss!!

Have a great time!!

Also, the nice restaurants really catered to our 2 yr old.

8. Re: Things do do with a 2 1/2 year old in Kauai.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 06:16