We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day in Kauai...what to do???

J C
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Our cruise ship, The Pride of America, is leaving Kauai at 2pm on the last day of our cruise. We will have a half day before the ship departs. My question to any locals on the forum. Is there anything that can be done within walking distance of the cruise port in Kauai? I will be traveling with my husband and two kids age 12 and 14.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprciated.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The Nawiliwili Harbor that you will be docked at - it is almost directly adjacent to both Anchor Cove and Harbor Mall shopping areas - it is also within walking distance to Kalapaki Beach and the Lihu'e Marriott and the shops and restaurants at that property.

If you decide not to rent a car - just follow the masses (lol) from your ship down the sidewalk to the shopping areas - plenty of places to browse and eat and if you want beach time - then Kalapaki is right there as well.

With half a day, I'd just go to the beach myself!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Helicopter tour//other than that Beaches!!!!!!!!!!!! And plan your way back for 2 0r 3 weeks!!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Half-day at the Kalapaki Beach!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Is this the sum total of your time on Kauai? Or do you have the day before also?

Probably doesn't matter because either way I'd just agree with the majority here.......just stroll on over towards the Marriott, the beach, the shops at Anchor Cove .

You have enough time for some time at the beach, lunch at Duke's, maybe pick up some souvenirs.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

We see the NCL passengers heading over to Kalapaki Beach, to get some sun, and swim, then use one of the fresh water showers to get the salt off.

Then, they walk next door to kind of browse Anchor Mallm and sometimes the Harbor Mall just across the road from Anchor Mall. Please understand that these are small malls, nothing like mainland shopping beheamouths..

Many passengers enjoy walking the short distance from and to the Matson Gate, where the ship is located, but there are shuttle vans that make constant round trips, a well.

I know NCL feeds the passengers, but we run into cruise ship people at the various restaurants in the imediate area....range from resort prices down to locally affordable fare, at the kalapaki beach hut, or the Market St. Diner.

Denny

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

If I had a 1/2 day I would take a helicopter ride or fixed wing like Wings Over Kauai. They will pick you up at the ship.

Walking around Kalapaki and having lunch at a local restaurant would not do Kauai justice.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

I would have to agree with the helicopter tour if it is in your budget $$$. This gives you a wonderful view of the Island and it's abundance of waterfalls and beautiful mountainous cliffs of velvet green, there is nothing like it.

If not in your budget get off the ship and enjoy what Kalapaki Beach has to offer and the wonderful restaurants that sit on the beach front. Then do some shopping before getting back on the ship.

Everything else to see you would have to get a car.

What does the ship offer for shore activities??

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Jebett, that is why I asked if that 1/2 day is their only time on Kauai or if they have the day before also. If they had the day before they could fit in both a helicopter ride and taking it easy for the 1/2 day. It would seem unusual to me that the ship would arrive in the morning but leave by 2 p.m. But then again I'm not familiar with these cruises.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

My cousin is scheduled to take this cruise this winter with NCL. They have a full day to site see, then depart at 2 PM the following day.

She plans to go over to Kalapaki Beach that last day, just to relax, have lunch at Dukes before she has to be back on board..

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half day in Kauai...what to do???

Yes Napaguy, I think they might need to check their itinerary. I do believe all the ships have a day and a half. Maybe I read the question incorrectly and they just want to know what to do that last 1/2 day. That would make sense then to just hang at the beach. Kalapaki would be the place.

Wings Over Kauai is much cheaper than a heli trip. You still see the beautiful island and have a fabulous guide tell you the island's history.

http://wingsoverkauai.com/