We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

My husband and I are thinking of doing the Kalalau Trail today and some people say to check the conditions. Where do I go to check the conditions?

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

findlocalweather.com/forecast/hi/hanalei.html

It says 80% chance today in Hanalei.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

It is raining really hard here on the south shore. It hasn't been too rainy yet this year, so I don't think that the trail conditions would be too bad.

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

www.hawaiistreaming.com/affil/index.cfm…

It does look like it's pouring on the South side and the streets look wet in Hanalei. Maybe Wednesday would be better as the chance of rain is less.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

It's raining pretty good right now in Kilauea.

Hope you haven't already left?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Aloha from Kaua'i!

A very windy, rainy and grey day here in the Po'ipu area - heard that it extends as far North as Hanalei - I'd phone up to there (pick a business - maybe Pedal 'N Paddle at Ching Young Village) and ask about the weather conditions - if it is anything like it is here - you wouldn't want to go today!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

One rather easy way to check the weather is to look out the window.....

Since our weather guessers are sometimes off by a day or so.

Also, the wx channel ( so -so), as well as several hawaiian news channels that broadcast weather every few minutes.

It has been raining off and on since about 05:30 this morning in Lihue, and plenty of gray skies and low ceilings, and another heavy bout of rain is coming down at this very moment. 09:50.

In fact, we just had a short break, and I took advantage of the lull to take out the trash, and drop of the mail at our Banyon Harbor, reception office.

According to our local TV :

Strong winds are also forcast, some gusts up to 33. As is passing bands of very strong rain.

Personally, I would not be planning on any hiking today, just from observing the conditions.

Rain, wind, low visibility, and a whole lot of precip.....which can be worse in the mountains, and windward sides. We would also be aware of possible flash flooding in these conditions, even tho I have not seen any flash flood warnings posted.

Not sure about your decision to go hiking, with all of the approaching cold front warnings that have been announced and to be aware of for the last couple of days.

Your choice , of course, but hiking in this weather would not be something that we would elect to do.....others have different ideas, and their choice.

Denny

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Here are the links you want:

…noaa.gov/hnl/graphics/hydro/KRAINFALL_06.gif

…noaa.gov/hnl/graphics/hydro/KRAINFALL_24.gif

Those are the automated rain gauge readings across Kauai cumulated over the last 6 and 24 hours. The current maps are dated today at 11am local time. So you can see the North Shore received around a 1/2 inch of rain, all this morning. Wai'ale'ale received almost an inch in the past 24hrs

Here's their rain forcast as well:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/data/HFO/AGFHFO

I find it incredibly useful that the weather service puts this data online instantaneously (I think it is updated every 3 or 4 hours). So a big Mahalo to the National Weather Service. All these are linked from their "Hydrology" page for Hawaii:

www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/hydrology.php

If you're at all interested in weather patterns, the monthly precipitation summaries give the yearly trend.

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Thanks all for all the info - we decided not to go today (Tuesday) but we would really like to try it tomorrow - what do you think? If it did rain in the North today how bad would the trails be tomorrow (Wednesday)?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Rained with wind and cool temps all day today on the South Shore - would imagine it did the same up North - I'd definitely call ahead for trail conditions - it seems we are in a cold front for a few days from what I've heard.

Malama Pono,

Janet

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalalau Trail - Today - Has it been raining in the north

Hi

We did the first few hours of the trail today (Wed), quite wet and slippy. But not impossible if you have the right kit.

The forcast looks better for tomorrow.

Whats the weather in the south today

John