We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring Home a Lei

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bring Home a Lei

Do they sell Lei's in the Kauai airport - a family member has just asked me to bring them one home and I was wondering where to buy one to bring back home.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Yes they do but they are more expensive than places like Kmart or Walmart. Walmart is very close to the airport and you could run in while your DH double parks.

PS: Some of the shops in the airport close early in the evenings so for many people who have those red eyes, be aware.

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Thanks jebett - we are one of those people who will be taking the red eye - so I will stop at Walmart or Kmart.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just some quick suggestions as well in regards to what type of lei to bring back - some like plumeria will be dead pretty much by the time you land, plumeria is VERY short lived and I'd suggest something like either vanda or dendrobium orchid leis - they are much heartier and would last a day or two - no fragrance, but better than dead on arrival!

Costco, Wal-Mart, K-Mart......all are pretty close to the airport and all have boxed leis to take with you.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring Home a Lei

The plumeria leis are so nice to bring back for someone though. They give them to you in a plastic tray and the ones I bring back for friends do fine on the plane. By the time I get home I just put them in the fridge until the next day when I give them to my friend or dog sitter. True, they don't last but it's the thought (and smell) that counts.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd agree "Jebett" - if the main thing is the scent and not the actual lei - plumeria are the best - they stil retain a strong scent even when they are dying - good to know that you can manage to get one back to CA in good shape! Good for you!

I have to relate this as it just happened yesterday - I went into Costco (of course - lol!) and went over to the bakery area - I saw a lady who was obviously a visitor dressed very nicely in an aloha top and shorts - however she was wearing what one could only kindly call a "dead plumeria lei" around her neck - 90% string with some droopy brown flowers hanging sporadically around. I felt so bad for her - if I'd had a decent lei - I would have given it to her - I always wonder when I see this if folks really can't tell the lei is dead, or if they just don't care! No offense meant, it just always is a strange sight to many of us! I hope she stopped by the lei cooler at Costco and bought a new one to replace it - lol!

Plumeria - nothing smells like it - I've never found a fragrance bottled called "Plumeria" that smells really close to it - very elusive!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Since you will be returning to MI, I would take the suggestions above for longer shelf life.

We however, buy a day old one in the airport (one less stop). The plumeria ones are also in a clear plastic bag or box and do not appear to be brown or damaged. They are half priced. We only have a 5 hour flight to LA, and when our family comes to pick us up at baggage claim, we give them the lei's. They wear it home, but usually throw it away the next day or two, because they are not going to wear it around town. It's the gesture of presenting them with the lei that is fun.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring Home a Lei

<<Plumeria - nothing smells like it - I've never found a fragrance bottled called "Plumeria" that smells really close to it - very elusive!>>

Next time you visit Oahu see if they have the store "Body Shop". They have a plumeria oil that is pretty darn close.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I love the chain "Body Shop" - I know they still have a store at Ala Moana Center over on O'ahu - just didn't get a chance to get in there a few weeks ago when I was over there - darn!

I also think that Terranova has perfume oils that are fairly close - I know that their "pikake" is the closest thing that I've ever found to the real thing - they also have Plumeria, White Ginger and I think...Tuberose. We can buy these are Macy's here.

Let's face it - there is just nothing like the scent of the "real thing"!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Thanks all for all the suggestions - since we leave on Friday night and I won't see the family member who wanted the lei until Monday I am not sure what to do but will probably just buy one from Walmart and refrigerate it when I get home on Saturday evening (Michigan time).

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring Home a Lei

Muffincat, I am also from MI and I have brought home the Plumeria Lei which I purchased at the airport. It was for someone at work so I did have to refrigerate it for the weekend when I got home - it was fine.

I have "also" hand carried a "coconut plant" that I bought at the airport - How many people in MI can say they have a coconut growing in their house LOL - in the summer it goes outside. Keeps me with a bit of Hawaii inside my home :)