We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afraid of Go! Airlines

Corona, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Afraid of Go! Airlines

Hi all,

We are leaving for Kauai on Friday and I’m so excited! One thing has me a little worried however. For various reasons we had to book our flights separately – LAX to HNL and then HNL to LIH, which means we will be picking up our baggage and checking in for our inter-island flight. We chose Go! Airlines because it was cheap ($96 roundtrip for both of us) but I have been reading some horrendous reviews that have me scared.

If we changed to Hawaiian Airlines we would have to forfeit the $96 and spend another $300, but still have to re-check in. Is it worth the expense to change our reservations, or should we just grin and bear it and hope for the best on Go! Airlines? (We have approximately 2 hours between flights both ways.)

Thanks very much! I have been reading a lot on this forum lately, and it has been most helpful!

California
Level Contributor
37,025 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

Do not worry! go! will be fine. Many airlines have an agreement with go! to transfer your bags. Call your airline and see if they are one of them, otherwise you will indeed need to get your bags and walk down to go's! terminal. Spend that $300 shopping!!!! LOL

PS I leave Sat. Yippeeee!!!!!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

Grin and bear it. We’ve flown Go on two separate trips without any problems.

Why can’t you check your bags all the way through to LIH? Even if you have separate tickets (we always do), ask the airline (at the counter or a skycap – not the kiosk) to interline your bags to your final destination. Just show them the reservations. It's never been a problem.

3Chihuahuas

3. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 13:20
Corona, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

Jebett, I showed your response to my husband and he said your advice sucks! LOL I like it though. Sat. is my 50th BD so maybe I will take your advice!

I had no idea checking my bags all the way through was an option. Good to know and I'll definitely look into it - thank you!

5. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 20:36
Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

NN, informing someone of the facts, i.e. a particular company's poor ethics (that may even have been illegal), inept way of treating passengers when there's a delay AND poor on-time performance is not only acceptable - it's the responsible thing to do.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

Did your mainland carrier tell you that you had to do this? I don' t know anyone who willingly picks up their bags in Honolulu and rechecks them.

Yes, most mainland carriers have baggage transfer agreements with the interisland carriers. Check with your mainland carrier. If you do, all you need to do is show your full ticket itinerary when you arrive at your mainland airport. Better yet, if you can get your Go boarding pass in advance it's even easier.

Transferring bags between airlines is routine at all airports, anywhere. Just doublecheck your baggage claim check and make sure it gives Lilhue as the final destination, before they toss it onto the belt. One time I did not and my bags were tagged HNL and stayed there for a couple of days.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

Earlier posts have stated that you do need to pick up your bags and re-check them when traveling on Go! ... but things change. Check with your Mainland carrier.

While I wouldn't fly Go! for free ... you have your plans. Relax and have fun.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

I just called Go Airlines and they do not have a baggage agreement with Continental, so we will be schlepping our bags. Oh well. I'll pack light.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afraid of Go! Airlines

There is always someone who has had a bad experience with an Airlines. Ours was with Island Air and their 16 lb weight limit for carry on bags. Inforced it on some, not on others.

You will probably have a good flight....enjoy.