We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring 2010 with 14 year old

iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
spring 2010 with 14 year old

Please help. I've spent so much time reading TA posts that I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. My husband, I and 14 year old son are planning our first trip to Kauai (7 days) last week of march-1st week of april 2010. We would like to stay in a condo with 2 rooms (living room with sofa bed + bedroom would be ok) I've ruled out the east side reading the forum posts. I would like an ocean view and somewhere I would feel safe being by myself if the guys wanted to go do stuff by themselves. Should I wait to book till after the holidays? Our trip is the week before Easter...will that be a problem? Is it a good time of year to go to Kauai? We have been to Maui and the BI but this is our first trip to Kauai. The trip will be during my 40th birthday...and I would like to mostly sit out on the lanai and watch the ocean. My husband and son would like to boogie board, zip line, helicopter ride etc. Any suggestions for lodging, time of travel etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

40th? Congratulations! You're a baby!!!!!!

I will focus my reply on two areas of the island:

South/Ocean view-

Whaler's Cove, Poipu Kapili, Kiahuna Plantation (ocean view units only) Poipu Shores.

Great beaches close by.

North/ocean view-

Puu Poa, Hanalei Bay Resort, Westin Princeville(many don't have a view)

You can probably wait until after the holidays but do your homework and if you see a condo you really like, lock it in. The week before Easter is usually busy as it's the end of spring break. After Easter it gets slow until mid May.

I know exactly what you mean about sitting out on the lanai and just reading a good book and enjoying the moment. Tomorrow I will be out on a lanai reading a new book a friend of mine recommended by Nicholas Sparks. There is nothing better and I can't wait!

For good zipline trips check out Princeville Ranch. My kids really enjoyed doing that. One of their favorite things to do were the ATV rides. A helicopter ride would be fabulous. All the companies go the same route but some have better aircraft for visibility. There is also a less expensive alternative to see the island from the air and that is Wings over Kauai.

Check out a few of these sites to give you an idea of what I am referring to.

www.summitpacificinc.com/poipushores.html

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…princeville

suite-paradise.com/whalers-cove-kauai/whaler…

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

I would also check out http://www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/ for condos. I have two children, ages 8 & almost 11 and we decided on the Manualoha section of Poipu Kai. Our unit has a nice ocean view, close to a great boogie boarding beach with a nice pool. You can also check out Kiahuna Plantation condos or Nihi Kai. That should get your started.

I personally perfer a 2 bedroom with the 2 kids but we have stayed in a place with a sofa bed in the past. You can look at both 2 bedrooms or 1 bedroom with a sofa bed.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

Some nice condos I've considered:

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/NK200.html

http://www.kauairentals.com/manualoha.html

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/NK833.html

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/KH186.html

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/WC132.html

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

There's no advantage to waiting until after the holidays to book. What would it be? Prices for your time period aren't based on the prices for the December holidays. Plus you're talking around Easter. That's a fairly busy time. I'd book soon. Most schools no longer have their Spring breaks based entirely on which week is Easter week. There's a 3-4 consecutive week period of school breaks. Book as soon as you find the place you think works for you.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

Any time is a great time to go to Kauai and I agree with napaguy -- book early. Granted sometimes owners will offer a "last minute special" type discount if they have some empty weeks, but you are taking a chance waiting for that. Waiting usually just means you have fewer choices. You didn't mention your budget, but generally you can also find some bargain oceanfront units on the east side. I particularly like Kaha Lani and Lae Nani complexes -- both offer great ocean views and privacy, but are very close to lots of shops and restaurants -- many within walking distance from Lae Nani. You would feel perfectly safe there.

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

My reason for stating you could wait until after the holidays is based on how busy we all are right now (well not me I am relaxing) but if trying to find the best accommodation is stressful, then wait. There will be plenty of places to stay but truthfully many of the top spots are already booked.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

You're willing to look at a place with one-bedroom plus sofa bed in the living room, you want to be able to sit on the lanai and have an oceanview , and you want to be near a place where husband/son can take off and go swimming, boogie boarding, etc.

Sounds like you're a good fit for Kiahuna Plantation. Beautiful low-rise condo buildings spread out on 35 acres, multiple smaller mostly 2-story buildings only, and it sits right on the best swimming beach in the area (no crossing a road or driving to a beach).

But it's extremely popular with families and you're talking around Easter. So check it out soon. Outrigger and Castle are the main rental agents and they are located right there with offices on-site. You can find independent 'by owner' listings on vrbo, etc.

Here are some pictures:

oyster.com/hawaii/…p-3

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

And here is another aerial view of Kiahuna Planatation. The buildings are numbered and that might help you get the idea......

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkiahuna.html

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

Wow. Just checked both Outrigger and Castle Resorts. Both are quoting some fantastic rates for that time - under $200 for gardenview, as low as $169, and a little more for oceanview. Frankly, I'm surprised. Don't think I've seen rates that low at Kiahuna.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,680 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spring 2010 with 14 year old

"and I would like to mostly sit out on the lanai and watch the ocean."

Sounds like Poipu Kapili to me.

I would book sooner rather than later.