We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

Well, I didn't think I could talk the husband out of Europe and into Hawaii again, but here I am planning yet another trip, LOL! This time, his cousin will be joining us. We're planning some time on Oahu so he can meet his extended family and we can visit them again and some time on Kauai so he can exeperience the Hawaii in his head (and because I can't fly 7 hours and skip Kauai).

We know we want the north shore, without a doubt. Something with 2 bedrooms. Ideally, the second bedroom would have something larger than a twin bed but I don't think he'll care at all.

We're debating between a house and a condo. Any really great places to check out? Budget isn't a big concern. I'm thinking around $350 or under per night (under $2500 for the week, not including cleaning fee), but we can do more if it's worth it. The biggest difference between the condo and house, that I can see, is that we can have an ocean view in a condo but not in a house. I know this is really personal preference and something I have to think about when making a decision.

I'm a little leary of VRBO and the like. I know there are tons of illegal rentals for Oahu on those sites, not sure about Kauai. I know that rentals have to be licensed so I'm assuming there are similar issues with illegal rentals being on these sites.

Any recs would be great :)

California
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

There are so many recommendations on the North Shore I'm not sure I have enough coffee in the coffee pot to list them all.

Renting a house in Princeville would be less expensive than renting one down in Hanalei, for instance, especially during the high season when you plan on coming to Kauai. The downside is you won't have a pool etc.

Some ideas for condos on the North Shore are mostly going to be in the Princeville area too. The places I am going to mention all have fabulous views. There are other complexes like Princeville Plantation but those don't have a view so I am not going to mention them.

I would look into Puu Poa condos right next to St Regis. They are very large units (make sure you get an updated one and preferably one with A/C which there are not many and July gets warm). Puu Poa has a small pool but there is a steep path to Hideaways Beach below which is gorgeous. Just walk right next door to the St Regis for dinner or cocktails.

Hanalei Bay Resort is a larger more Hawaiian looking resort around the bend from Puu Poa on the bluff next St Regis. You actually share the same beach. HBR has many 2 bedroom condos with 2 kings or 2 queens and the best view buildings are the lower 9000 (like 92012) and the 4000 building. I also like the 6000 building but there are only a few nice units in that building. The pool is very nice and they have a bar/restaurant on site.

Read the reviews on both of these properties and rent from a private owner or agent for HBR. If you rent through the resort you will get a timeshare room and have paid twice what you'd pay for a privately owned unit.

Some other options on the North Shore is Hanalei Colony Resort which is farther north and more remote. You are right on the beach but if privacy between the bedrooms is an issue, there isn't much here if you know what I mean. It is truly the only beachfront property on the NS.

So start with those 3 places and here are some websites to find rentals of condos and homes.

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/puupoa.html

http://www.hcr.com/

www.hawaiigaga.com/Search.aspx?island=1

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a2999

vacationrentalsinkauai.com/vacations/…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

As much as I love the Hanalei Colony Resort, (www.hcr.com) their "2 bedrooms" are not really. It's a large room with louvered doors to close off the master bedroom, from the dining area and the "2nd bedroom". It's great for a family but it may not be as private as you would like.

We rented an ocean front home in Haena in 2007 that was pretty nice. There are two houses on the same piece of property that is quite large. We had no issues with privacy when both houses were occupied.

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/275.html

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/276.html

We stayed in the 1st house but I think I perfer the 2nd house since it has a larger living room, kitchen and lanai. You get a much better rate if you rent these houses for a week. You can walk to Mediterranean Gourmet from these houses. It's a bit of a walk to Tunnels but do-able without kids in tow.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 17:45
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

There are also some nice homes you can rent on Anini Beach -- a very quiet lovely area. Hale Kai is a nice (and legal) rental there with three bedrooms and two baths). Several of the aforementioned rental agencies list it or you can go through the Nakeas, who own it. There are a number of other good rentals there too.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

You were asking about Puu Poa in your other post. It's very, very nice, and I would recommend it to anyone. 2000 sf , so a lot of space. View is awesome, expecially if you are on the top floor. Pool is somewhat small, but we only saw a few people using it. Alli Kai is nice as well, but make sure you get one of the renovated / updated units.

5. Re: Looking for a rental on the north shore june/july '10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2010, 05:20