We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with great shore snorkeling

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with great shore snorkeling

My husband and I will be staying on Kaui for 3 days in early March. We are looking for a good hotel (or condo -- doesn't matter) in the $200 to $250/night range. Our main consideration is that we would like access to good snorkeling from the beach at the hotel. From what I can tell, it looks like Poipu fits the bill. I appreciate any suggestions on a specific hotel in that area, or perhaps a different area that would provide good shore snorkeling on site. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with great shore snorkeling

March - Poipu - good snorkeling from hotel - $200-$300 range.

Hotels - The hotels in Poipu that are on one of the 3 sections of Poipu Beach are the Marriott Waiohai, Koa Kea, Kiahuna Plantation (a condotel) and the Sheraton. In your price range I think that will mean either Kiahuna or the Sheraton. The Marriott is closest to the snorkeling area and the Sheraton is the furthest away but only a 10 minute trek down the beach.

Are you willing to consider a condo? I mention Kiahuna Plantation above which is a condotel (condo with hotel daily maid service and other services) but there are others that are not bad walking distance to Poipu Beach. These are Poipu Kai, Poipu Kapili, Nihi Kai villas and a few others.

At the far west end of the Poipu area is Kuhio Shores which has a great snorkeling beach next door. It's primarily a snorkeling beach as it's small and a rockier entry but okay for wading with flippers on because of a slight current. The only downside to Kuhio Shores is no pool. Maybe that wouldn't matter to you though. I'm sure Jebett will post some links to Kuhio Shores.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,931 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,317 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Nihi Kai Villas
Nihi Kai Villas
147 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with great shore snorkeling

Kuhio Shores.

http://www.kuhio-shores.com/

I really like these units though the outside is nothing to write home about. Once inside and you see those views you don't care. I also like them because they are next door to Beach House Restaurant. No need to worry about drinking and driving. The snorkeling spot right there is very good. Check out Mikes recent thread with his picture. They will get you so excited. If you want to know some of the nicer units pm me. March is busy and it might be filling up fast. KS is popular for whale watching and surfer watching.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60625-i1817-k3295…

Mentioned in this post
Beach House Restaurant
Beach House Restaurant
5,097 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with great shore snorkeling

Given your wants, I think it would be hard to beat Kuhio Shores. We have stayed many times over the years and really enjoy it there. The whales will still around when you are going, so I would look for a unit on the 3rd or 4th floor with the open ocean view. These would be those units numbered 309 or 409 and higher. The lower numbers face the bayside, which is also a nice view, but not so good for whale watching The snorkeling there is about as good as it gets on the south shore.

4. Re: Hotel with great shore snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 06:19