We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

We're currently torn between two condos for a week-long July visit. Ali'i Kai on the north, and Banyan Harbor on the east.

Ali'i Kai has its north location going for it, with quick access to all the nice beaches at that time of year. But we're used to quick access to stores/services that you get in the East Coast, and I don't think you can walk to anything from it. I've also yet to be impressed by eateries in the North (well, Hanalei, other than Wishing Well), although we're planning on doing most of our cooking in the condo.

The Banyan has its location across the street from Kalapaki, which should be a good beach for the kids. It's also easier to get North and South from the east, as well as having all the grocery stores nearby. But it's not as pretty, and we should be avoiding a lot of Kapaa traffic up north.

Just as some back info, there will be six adults, a 4-year-old, and a 1-year-old. It's our first time coming in July and we've always stayed in the east (KCR/Marriott). For my parents it's the first time they've been since moving from Oahu in 1981. And for my Hawaii-born sisiter, it's her first time going as an adult. We're planning on getting two 2BR units. Both places should be around $1000 for a unit/week, way under our budget, but meeting our needs. Our only requirements for a unit is a full kitchen and washer and dryer (the 1-year-old has cloth diapers).

We wanted the Kauai Coast Resort, but all the 2BR units are booked. And we contemplated the Waipouli Beach Resort, but couldn't find any units for less than $2000/week (including taxes/clean out), slightly over our maximum budget. It's hard to justify twice the price.

Any help and all opinions greatly appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
36,418 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

North Shore.

You might also look at The Cliff's. I like the pool and grounds better here than Alii Kai. Make sure the condos at AK are not close to foreclosure.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 17:59
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Of your 2 choices, I'd definitely pick Ali'i Kai, especially in summer. But I agree with jebett that you might want to take alook at the Cliffs too. Another reasonably priced option, if you liked staying on the east side would be Kaha Lani -- they have two bedroom units there reasonably priced and they are just a short stroll down the beach from Lydgate Park, which has a great protected area for kiddies to swim.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
518 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

I'm glad you've already been to Kauai and are aware of how different the two locations are.

I would never imagine staying in Lihue to have access to its stores unless I have some special needs. You can load up on your first day at Costco. But the location is indeed very convenient if you plan on doing a lot of traveling around the island.

IMO Hanalei has better choices for food than Lihue. The best farmers market on the island, a store with organic produce, and some really nice (but pricey) restaurants. Foodland in Princeville is good grocery store.

There are a few 2 bedroom units at WBR that will run you around $2000/wk. Have you considered renting a home? That will be less expensive than getting two units.

California
Level Contributor
36,418 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

I think the Cliff's has a 4 bedroom.

kauaiproperties.com/vacation-rentals/Cliffs-…

Do not be scared off by these prices. I don't think they are updated.

I like the Cliff's for families and think they are a bargain for what you get. The new pool. putting green, bbq area, basketball courts, tennis. My only issue is they look like a condo anywhere. They are a good bargain and many have the same view as Alii Kai. AK is next door.

A house to rent is a nice idea but then you don't have a pool unless you stay in the sunset area of Princeville.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Ali'i Kai, or any other Princeville condo, over Banyan Harbor.

Much nicer setting.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Thanks everyone for the input.

I couldn't see any units at the Cliffs that came near the views at some of the Alii Kai units, and they all had slightly higher rates.

It looks like the rest of the family has taken a liking to the Waipouli Beach Resort. Maybe I'll show them your responses to get them hooked on staying in the North Shore. The only argument they have that I can't counter is that they don't like the fact that Princeville is nearly 100% visitors, isolated from any locals.

If we do go for the WBR, we'll probably go through Costco, since the prices direct through Outrigger are cheaper than any private owners I can find. They've decided to splurge since I saved them a lot of cash by finding them all frequent flyer tickets. BTW if anyone hasn't checked out the Chase British Airways 100K sign-up bonus, you should jump on that now (it's back). 105K BA miles gets you 3 tickets on AA to Hawaii in high season.

If anyone has any experience booking privately for the WBR, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks again.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Are you saying you get 100,000 free bonus miles just for signing up???? Wow.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

You'll love Waipouli Beach Resort for the family and kids.

There is another recent thread on Waipouli and concern over some units being in foreclosure. If you decide to rent a specific unit through an owner just be very careful. Renting through Outrigger would be more security for you as they have operate more like a hotel, with a number of units to pick from for you. I think I'd rather pay a little more and have a sure thing.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Threadjacking my own thread.....

BA Visa Offer:

50K for first purchase (upon approval)

50K for spending $2000 in first three months.

$75 annual fee.

mychasecreditcards.com/britishairways/tray

flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1013709-100-00…

PM if you have any questions, or read all 144 pages of the FlyerTalk thread.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
518 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torn Between Two Condos, East vs North Shore

Princeville is not 100% visitors. I don't know what the stats are. I'd guess of the residential homes perhaps 10% are vacation rentals. The condos also have many residents, especially places like Alii Kai II, the Cliffs, Nihi Lani and many others.

Costco's rates are good, and booking through Outrigger is very convenient. The down side is you don't know what you're getting ahead of time. The units facing the road at WBR are not nearly as desirable as the interior ones.