We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for condo on south side

CA
3 posts
Save Topic
suggestions for condo on south side

My boyfriend and I will be going to Kauai for the first time the first week of March. I'm looking for a cheapish (ideally, $200/night or less if possible) 1-bedroom condo or hotel with kitchen. Would love to be as close to the ocean as possible, probably somewhere on the south side given that we want relaxing beach time (and will rent a car to explore the rest of the island). Thanks in advance!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
518 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Kiahuna Planation has some prime real estate.

Here's some info on Kauai's condos with aerial photos, average prices, beach location etc.

www.hawaiigaga.com/kauai-condos.aspx#mapstart

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Prince Kuhio is a bargain and across the street from a nice little snorkeling beach and check out Craigslist for really good deals.

If it were me I would look at Kuhio Shores for just a bit more than your budget.

Here's a very popular unit and I doubt it even has availability in March (a very popular time) but on the same website they have a lot of condos. Great views but no pool.

http://www.kuhioshores.net/site/415.html

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

I would not consider Kiahuna "cheapish". More like, one of the more expensive condos in Poipu but it's on a great beach!

Nihi Kai has a couple of 1 bedrooms under $200.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/NK803.html

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/NK807.html

I would also check out Kuhio Shores.

http://www.r7r.com/kuhioshores.htm

http://www.kuhio-shores.com/

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

For Kiahuna , Outrigger is posting some great rates these days and yes, a GardenView unit can be had for under $200 ($192 to be exact). Better views going only a little more. These are some of the best prices I've seen at Kiahuna in ages.

Kiahuna is right on Kiahuna/Sheraton Beach (a section of Poipu Beach) and this is the nicest swimming section of Poipu, imo.

Yes, there are other places as cheap or even cheaper but none of them will get you as close to this beach as Kiahuna without having to walk down or across a road. The Gardenview units are clustered more towards the back of the resort but it's still only a 5-7 minute walk to the beach from the gardenview buildings. And no, you do not have to worry about any street noise there. There is a lot of lush foliage, trees and gardens blocking out any street noise or views. It's simply a great place. Pool is inconvenient but it's all about the grounds and the beach here.

Here's an aerial view of Kiahuna:

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkiahuna.html

And here are some pictures. Scroll forward to the ones labeled Outrigger Kiahuna or Sheraton (they share the same beach)"

oyster.com/hawaii/…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

I forgot.....if you click on the wizardpub link then click on the "Take me There" link you will be taken to the Outrigger Resort website for Kiahuna.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Napa,

Thanks! I've never seem anything at Kiahuna that cheap but then again, I'm usually looking for a 2 bedroom. But I think the poster wanted an ocean view. Can you see the ocean from the units in the back?

Marti

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Martik, yes, you can have oceanviews at Kiahuna from the back buildings in the higher floors. Primarily in buildings 16, 17 and 18. These will look straight out over the grassy grounds to the water.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

another vote for Kiahuna Plantation

if you book your car and condo together w/Expedia you can usually get a really good price on both

the place is great, location great, pretty hard to beat it

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Do remember that most of the rates quoted do not include the pretty stiff lodging taxes in Hawaii. After reading the other posts, here's my take on the trade offs between Kiahuna and Kuhio Shores. For the same price, you get bayfront and coastline views, next to a decent snorkeling beach which is small and rocky and no pool at KS. At Kiahuna for the same money you are next to a bigger, better swimming beach, lush tropical landscaping, a large complex with a pool inconveniently located (It's across the street and down a small road.) and probably a garden view. So you just have to decide what is most important to you. Both complexes are very nice for different reasons.

Personally, we prefer KS because one of our primary concerns is having a nice quiet lanai just a few feet from the ocean at our condo. KS fills that bill.

Now if these prices are still too high, do take a look at the Prince Kuhio which is right across the street from KS, has some oceanview units, and close to the good snorkeling. Thel PK is an older building but almost all of the units have been renovated. They are all one bedroom or studio units, but with full kitchens. There is also a nice tropical garden there with a smallish pool and a nice grilling area. We have stayed there twice for extended periods and were very comfortable. If you want more info on individual units there pm me.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions for condo on south side

Kiahuna Plantation has some real bargains now (less than $200). The price depends on how far back from the ocean you are. Believe us, there is no difference in the quality of the units in the back and you are still just a couple minutes' walk to the beach sand. I always advise people to save their money and NOT demand an ocean view from your condo. You can always walk right outside for your view during the day and you can't see the view at night anyway. Since you will probably be outside most of the time, a garden or royal garden unit at Kiahuna would probably suit your needs just fine. I recommend booking units at Kiahuna through Outrigger, for the greatest choice of accomodations and customer service.

Other options are Waikomo Stream Villas (a short walk to the beach), Nihi Kai Villas and a number of the complexes at Poipu Kai.