We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

port huron, mi
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

Do all the companies require extra $$$$ for more than one driver. We will be with another couple and both men need to be able to drive. Some of the companies charge as muchas 10 a day for extra driver. What company was the least expensive for full size/???? Finding the rates very high for 3 weeks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

I think you find this as a standard practice on leisure rentals. The only time I have seen this fee not be charged is for corporate business rentals.

From my memory, I think that Thrifty charges $5 day for an additional driver. Avis, on their website (avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/global/en/rentersguide/…), says they charge $25 per rental for an additional driver.

I hope this helps!

dctravel

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Spouses are usually included at no extra charge...

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Not claiming expertise, but let's try a few scenarios:

1) You "purchase" Collision Damage Waiver, but don't pay the additional driver charge, and the additional driver has a wreck, it's easy to understand that you have a problem...I think.

2) CDW is declined (renter relies on their insurance for coverage); and the additional driver has a wreck. Is this not tantamount to loaning your personal vehicle to the friend; in which case, your insurance would cover? (I am asking; do not purport to know.)

2a) If you had paid the $10 additional driver charge, but declined CDW, there would be no extra protection would there? If not, then what did the $10 buy?

3) With reference to CDW, been many years since I've listened to the Rental Agent's pitch, but I believe it covers only damage to the car and is typically priced at $12 a day ($4,380 annualized). Does not my Comp & Collision coverage provide the same protection (less my $1,000 deductible, which is covered by my Credit Card*)? For this coverage, I pay $115 a year (2.6% of the aforementioned $4,380).

*As long as the Card is not a MasterCard; pretty sure MC, as of Sept. 1, made coverage an option; at the discretion of the issuing Bank.

port huron, mi
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

Wow that last post gave me a lot of think about. Visa does give one the extra coverage but I would suppose it would have to be the driver's card. Your scenario has me baffled!!

PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

If you are a AAA member and book through AAA with Hertz, there is no fee for additional driver (if they too are a AAA member). This was the case for us on our recent trip to Kauai. We even got upgraded to an AWD Subaru Forester which we really enjoyed. If not, from my experience, most companies charge ~ $10/day for additional drivers.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

With your scenario, Avis or Budget might be your best bet. (Both owned by the same company and so they have the same additional driver policy.) Avis and Budget do not charge for the spouse/significant other of the primary driver. To add someone other than a spouse/significant other, Avis and Budget both charge a flat fee of $25 no matter how long the rental is. It is usually the best way to go for scenarios like yours. (I used to rent cars in Hawaii for a living.)

If you are finding the rates too high, you might try punching in some codes like a Costco discount.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

We booked Alamo and by using the Entertainment book code, we get an additional driver at no extra cost.

port huron, mi
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

to hyla for me....don't have costco but do have sam's club. Is there a code for sam's club?