We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

Bay Area, CA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

On my Dollar itinerary it mentions "Please note in Hawaii the Sport Utility Vehicle will be a Jeep Wrangler soft top or similar"...even though my reservation says Grand Cherokee. Does Dollar only offer soft top SUVs? Thanks!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

I believe the Grand Cherokee is listed as an example of the type of SUV offered by most Dollar locations. If your itinerary states "Jeep Wrangler" than this is an exception. On the itinerary, it should list the local Dollar number in Kauai, you could contact them and inquire about the exact vehicle.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

Dollar locations in Hawaii offer the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo as their Standard SUV and the Jeep Wrangler soft top as their Intermediate ATV. If your reservation says Grand Cherokee then that is what you will get. The Jeep Wrangler is special to Hawaii. The note in your itinerary is a carry over from before Dollar's website had the fleet updated with the Jeep info.

Budget does offer a Standard SUV, but it is a Ford Explorer.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

BUdget also offers the Ford Escape---little SUV.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SUV Rental...Dollar or Budget?

I just returned from Kauai earlier this week and placed my car rental with Alamo. I originally reserved a full sized vehicle for less than $20 a day with a coupon. Upon check in, we upgraded to a 4WD for $20 more a day because I was a member of their free Quicksilver program ($30 if I was not). It was a little less than $40 per day for an SUV, which was cheaper than any rental company quoted me before leaving for the trip.

After checking in, we were told that we could take ANY 4WD from the lot (about 20 SUVs and 8 Wranglers). We chose a Chevy Trailblazer that only had 100 miles on it, and most of the bells and whistles. If you would rather have piece of mind knowing that you can choose any SUV upon arrival, I'd recommend checking out Alamo as well.

Also, check in was very quick. The person at the rental counter also showed us good off-roading places and recommeded drives on a map, which we'd enjoy.