We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Hi everyone! Thank you to everyone who provided advice for my trip. I also thank you all for convincing me to buy the Kauai Revealed book.

I stayed at the Hyatt. The pool is amazing but I think people come to Hawaii for a beach and ocean and this resort really does not have one. The surf is best for boogie boards and surfing but not the casual swimmer.If you want to sit on the beach they charge for a chair rental! It is really crowded anywhere you sit around the pool.The two whirlpools were always filled with kids jumping in and out. The combination of honeymooners and the under 6 set was comical and definitely not romantic.The only escape is to pay $10 and hang at the small but quiet spa pool and whirpool. Another good thing about the spa is the engaging lava rock showers (which definitely beat the anemic one in my ocean front room). The grounds of the hotel are very nice but at over 600 rooms (with a 92% occupancy) this is one busy place! They also really need to redo the tiny and dirty fitness room. We ate at Tidepools restaurant. We ate at 6:00 so we could have a romantic sunset dinner but they sat an 11 month old right next to us. I really think they should seat families together in one location. I really do like kids but a $150 dinner should not be accompanied by crying, staring children. The food was good but not great.

However the food was great at the Beach House. The mood and the atmosphere was very romantic. The service courteous and warm. I thought it was the best meal we had in 12 days of very expensive dining. I would have eaten there every night if I had known how good it was earlier.

We went to Poipu Beach to snorkel and had a fun time. A lot of small but colorful fish, turtles and eels. The weather and surf were not conducive to go to Tunnels or Ke'e beaches.

I took the Air Kauai tour. It was amazing. There are so many beautiful rainbows and waterfalls around Kauai. We went everywhere including the Wai'ale'ale Crater. Our pilot, Byron, was informative without being too chatty--he let us just take in the amazing scenery. The doors are almost all windows on the plane and even those in the back had a good view and it is air-conditioned.They give you noise cancelling headphones and ginger candy (for those of us who hadn't eaten breakfast or get nauseous). They also turn off the heli when you enter and exit. This was one of the few companies that has never had an accident (one of the main reasons why I chose it). They even had cancelled an earlier flight because they were concerned about the weather. I think that other heli tours do riskier things because I saw another one go much closer to the falls and to sides of the Crater. I was just happy for the beautiful views and the brief explanations/discussions.

I also drove Waimea Canyon. Stopped at JoJo's for the very good shaved ice. The view from the end of the road is amazing. Getting there was a scary trip and it used up a lot of gas. The road can be both very steep and covered with sharp turns. Once you are used to it, the drive is fun. Going back was definitely a lot easier on the nerves and my rental car.I took a lot of pictures!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Drivinggirl,

Glad you enjoyed your trip...well, with a few exceptions! You're right that the Hyatt is a very busy place, but it is a very family friendly place to stay as well. They can kind of nickle & dime you to death though. It sounds like you may have had a better lodging experience somewhere on the north shore, maybe at the Princeville or in Hanalei. You would have had a lot more driving though, and that's not always real fun.

Thanks for the review, especially for the points about Air Kauai. They're a very good company that doesn't get talked up a whole lot around here. With a couple crashes lately (involving other tour operators), it's nice to hear affirmation that most of the companies do take safety very seriously.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Great Review. My husband and I have been considering the Hyatt when we take our trip.

We are leaving the kids behind and making it all about us so the Hyatt sounds like it may not be for us. Think I will stick with my reservation at the Marriott.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Yes, good review. The things you point out should be considered when investigating where to stay. We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue and it seemed to have ample chairs on both the beach & around the pool, plus the beach was a safe swimming area. The water was however well churned up, so you end up with quite a bit of sand inside your bathing suit. I hope to find time to write my review tonight or tomorrow. The Marriott is also a busy place, and was at full occupancy, but never really seemed crowded.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the great review. I thought we were the only ones who thought there were way too many kids at the Hyatt. And the adult pool was not one of the nice ones--looked like it had been one of the original pools built back in the 70's :0)

The Beach House is my favorite too--we went a few times for appetizers and drinks. Although I think that probably cost us as much as a meal, we enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks again.

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

It was my pleasure to report back to all of you. Most people on this forum really try to be helpful and honest. I hope my report helps another newbie as you all had assisted me. I have heard that the Marriott is very nice and not too many kids--my cousin stayed there on her honeymoon. I chose the Hyatt because so many people had raved about it. I would stay somewhere else if I return to Kauai without my boys (they were dissapointed that we did not take them this time). Thanks again and to those lucky people who live on Kauai-- no matter what your financial situation, you are the richest people on earth!