We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

San Francisco
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Coming to Kauai for the first time next month and am scheduled to stay in a condo at Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation. Have read a lot of negative reviews recently on this site. Is this place a bad choice for my wife and I? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Negative reviews about Kiahuna? Not on this forum. Most people love Kiahuna. My only issue with it is the pool is across the street. It's a beautiful, tropical resort right on the beach and walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The units are individually owned and Outrigger manages many of them. The interiors vary because of the individual owner's taste so try and see if they can tell you where you'll be. A lot of people would prefer to rent direct from the owner or an agent like Suite Paradise so they know what they're getting.

I think KP is probably the most requested South Shore complex to stay. You did good!

Other places I like are Whaler's Cove, Kuhio Shores and Poipu Kapili.

California
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

My husband and I have stayed at the Kiahuna.for the last 10 years. Obviously, we love it!! The swimming and snorkeling are great. Also close to great restaurants. However, we do love Hanalei, so spend half our time there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

I too am surprised by "lot of negative reviews". Kiahuna is probably the most heavily booked south shore development, high percentage of repeats. I personally don't think the pool across the street is a big deal. At least it HAS one and it's a nice pool too. It's also situated right on the nicest south shore swimming beach.

I haven't read all of those reviews you're talking about but there might be a common thread in all of them. For example, I can see where some might feel the 1-bedrooms are small (yes, they are a tad smaller than the average). Or , many people may not like that the washer-dryer is not in the unit.

The most common complaint I've ever read, the one that accounts for most of the negative reviews is this.......folks who pick the cheapest units are disappointed to find they're in the buildings that are the farthest back , running parallel to Poipu Road. This seems to be a common disgruntlement . To this that old adage applies....."you get what you pay for". Many people seem surprised to arrive and find their unit is in the buildings the farthest from the beach. EVen so......it's a mere 5 minute walk, through lovely grounds, to get there. This is still so much better than most places in Poipu which are a farther walk from a beach and usually mean crossing a road too. So it has to be put into perspective.

Up to you of course but you might want to look at the category you booked and inquire in general where on the property it might be. Here is a site that will show you the buildings by their number.....

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkiahuna.html

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

I just got back from a stay there (booked through an owner on VRBO, so had a good picture of exactly what we'd get). We wanted to pay less, so had a further back condo and not updated, but we were happy. We could walk to the shops and restaurants in Poipu shopping village and had the beautiful orchid and cactus gardens nearby.

Having a condo near great beach to hang out on was what we wanted and what we got! Complimentary beach chairs and towels were nice too!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Aloha, I agree the units further back are a good deal and should not be passed up. You're midway between the beach and all the shops/restaurants at Poipu Shopping village. The trees and foliage are dense between the buildings and Poipu Road so the noise factor is really negligible. Glad you enjoyed your stay. We used to stay in the 2-level two bedroom units. Love Kiahuna. As a real estate investment we were scared off by it being a leasehold property. As a vacation renter though, it's hard to beat.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

Thanks for all of the feedback. I feel better about staying there. I will look into finding out which unit we have. We booked through a travel agent.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

it's a great place

even the least expensive "garden view" condos are great

the grounds are beautiful, service was very good and the location is spot on

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

I really seem to have Kauai on my mind tonight. I absolutely agree with all the prior posts about Kiahuna. In all of our stays there we have only had one negative experience. Our condo was wonderful, yet a major remodel was going on in the condo above us. When we contacted Outrigger they without any hesitation offered to move us. But when they told us the owners would be arriving the next day and all should be quiet we decided to stay.

Since you are renting with outrigger I would not be concerned as they will go out of there way to accommodate you. If you have any requests have your Travel agent send them to outrigger prior to your arrival.

Have fun!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

I used to be an owner at Kiahuna Plantation and I still love it.

The only reviews I know of that are negative are from people who

didn't do their homework and were expecting a different type of resort. Kiahuna is a gorgeous property with 330 plantation style condos spread out across about 35 acres. If you pay the least expensive rate (Garden View), your unit will be in the back, farthest from the beach, but it will still be up to Outrigger's standards (which are very high). If you want to avoid all road noise, for just a little bit more money, you can upgrade to a "Royal Garden" catagory unit. Those units are mostly one row down from the road. Partial Ocean View, Ocean View and Ocean Front are progressively more expensive catagories. The condos do not have air conditioning but that is usually not a problem as the trade winds cool the units sufficiently with the aid of ceiling fans. There is a restaurant on the property (Plantation Gardens) which serves dinner only. If you want to go out for breakfast, Joes on the Green across the road and the Sheraton next door are good choices. I like breakfast on my lanai most days. One important thing is that the front desk staff is available to help you with any problem. If something breaks down, pick up your phone and a maintenance person will be there immediately.

I used to find comments in my guest book like "You need a spatula." Well, the guest should have called the desk. Housekeeping would have shown up with a spatula. Sometimes, kitchen utensils like that disappear because guests' children take them down to the beach and use them to build sand castles.

Just assume that if it's something that would logically be there, and isn't, it probably should be and will be replaced if you ask.

There is also a security staff 24 hours a day. So if you have any problem or you hear some loud guests, call in and help will be on the way. I think you will enjoy your stay.

10. Re: Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 05:16