We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

kanas city, mo
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

So I know this has to be one of the most asked questions in this forum and I have read lots of old threads on the split stay dilemma, however I wanted to run my particular trip by the board and get some thoughts.

Trip dates are 2/27 to 3/7. Currently all 8 nights are at Sheraton. I am currently debating about making it a 5/3 split with the St. Regis in Princeville.

I have been to Kauai before and stayed at the Sheraton for the 5 nights and only made it to the north one day and did some hiking, I don't remember the traffic being particularly bad but seems like that is the consensus here, maybe I am just not remembering that part clear enough.

Obviously my main concerns about going to St Regis for the last three nights are, time to move pack/unpack and the higher likelihood of rain on north side. The packing thing should not be too bad as we are both fairly light packers and won't have kids etc along.

I am going with my girlfriend this time and we will probably do about 60-70% swimming/beach time vs 30-40% hiking/4WD touring/Helo rides etc and would be a bummer if it rained us in the last 3 days in Princeville.

I guess one option I may have is to just wait until I get there and check out the weather the day before I would want to move?

Anyway, if you have some thoughts I would love to hear them! Sorry if this has been beat to death already but this board was quite helpful in planning my first two trips to Hawaii and so I wanted to come back and ask about this trip as well.

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

I like your last option but the weather this year has been dry every where. You will see more clouds and maybe rainy nights on the North Shore but to be able to stay a few nights at The St Regis would be worth it to me. The two hotels are very different. If you choose to reserve the SR at the last minute can you get a good deal? I would hesitate to stay there at some of their high rates. As much as I love the location for $600/nt I would think again.

You made a comment about 4W driving and quite honestly if you have to 4WD you aren't where you should be.

Check out the beach conditions anywhere on the island in March as they change within minutes. If you do decide to stay put I bet you'll end up on the North Shore a lot anyway.

It could rain on the South Shore too so nothing is a for sure. When I was on the island a few weeks ago the sun was shining in Hanalei while it rained the entire time I was in Kapaa and Lihue. They don't call it the Garden Island for nothing.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

Normally, I would not advocate a split stay for the time lost in packing/unpacking, checking out/checking in. However, we found the traffic coming from Poipu on approach to Puhi and Lihue, and then again through Kapaa this past December to be pretty horrid, which cut our North Shore visit to one in a two-week span, and we are no traffic sissies coming from Los Angeles. So, I sort of think that it may not be a bad idea for you to split your stay, if hiking is what you want to do. Weather? No one I know ever melted in a rain.

One caution though, leave plenty of time to get to the airport from the North Shore. A colleague driving from Hanalei for an afternoon flight out almost missed the flight by getting stuck in traffic for over an hour.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

It's a chance you're taking with the weather and only you can decide on it. But I would think that if it rains your 3 days on the north shore that is when you can do the things you want to do other than the beach/sun activities. And keep in mind you can always hop in the car and find the sun somewhere. The packing up and moving isn't a big deal if you travel light. To me it would come down to how good of a last minute deal you could get at the SR.

kanas city, mo
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

Thanks for the input. I would be using Starwood points for my stay at the SR so that is not much of a concern, although it is double the rate for Sheraton and the Westin Princeville)

My flight is not until late Sunday night so getting back to airport should not be too bad.

The more I think about it the more it seems like a good enough of an idea so I will probably give it a shot!

Thanks Again

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

I don't usually advise people to split stays unless they are there for a couple of weeks or more. But since you are staying in hotels only, that does make it a bit different. Changing condos is a little more involved. And if you use points for the St. Regis -- go for it. And we routinely stay on the north shore during Winter months -- it may rain some or not. Even if it does, you'll have a great time.

6. Re: Early March, South & North Split Stay Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 06:22