We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales and a guide for hiking

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Whales and a guide for hiking

I will be in Kauai from Feb 20-27 staying in Princeville. I enjoy hiking and was wondering if someone could recommend a good guide or guides. Also, are the whales around the northshore area of Kauai at this time of year? Finally, any suggestions on something that I absolutely should not miss? Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

The whales will be there. If you have an ocean view condo in Princeville, I'd be surprised if you don't see them. I can't help with the hiking question, but I'm sure others can.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

Kimocat is right on....the whales are out there....we have seen them from the bluffs above the lihue marriot, and also off poipu yesterday.

Heard the viewing was pretty great from further up north.....local opinion from a whale enthusiast.

HIKING:

We constantly refer to :

Kauai Trials....walks, strolls, and treks on the garden island.

by kathy morey. Very good

Ultimate Kauai Guide Book: Also very excellent, with in depth information, by the author who has actually done the hikes.

Brochure Hiking guide from the Koke'e Museum.....

Hikng maps.

Those are our references.

For those who might be here around March 6th. ( a saturday )

Erica will be guiding a Sierra Club hike on the Water Tank , Berry Flat trail up in Koke'e. Pretty easy, soft ground, shaded, pleasant, and lost of different vegetation and trees, including redwoods.

I will also be going along, but have to update my CPR, and First Aid before I am legally a guide. Have been thru the orientation classes by the head Sierra Club lady here on island.

Denny

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
NE PA
Level Contributor
972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

Be sure to bring binoculars they really enhance the whale watching experience. We've been here since the 4th and have seen whales every day from Princeville and from pretty much every beach we've been to on the North Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

Thanks- I am going to try and buy the" Kauai Trails" guidebook as soon as i land Saturday-...I'm assuming there will be copies there. And great news about the whales!

Mentioned in this post
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI
5. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:30
6. Re: Whales and a guide for hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:17