We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next Trip to Kauai

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Topic
Next Trip to Kauai

We are planning a return to Kauai next September. I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. Am strongly considering Wailua Bayview condos based on reviews on this site and Kauai Revealed. And also have looked at Kuhio Shores on the south side. But....we stayed at a private cottage last time on Moloaa Beach and I am worried that I will miss that "private beach feel" at Wailua or Kuhio Shores. I do not want to go back to the same place as I want to try a different place and that place has raised the rates considerably. The location was a dream, but the studio could use some help. Any advice would be great.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

I am new to tripadvisor but wanted to share my findings of a small private property in Kauai on the north shore. Its called Hale Makai Cottages and it will give you that "Private Beach Feel". This property has 5 small cottages are sitting beachfront. The cottages are well maintained and the property itself is beautiful. Lawn flowing to the sandy beach, tropical flowers everywhere and fruit bearing tears such as bananas, papayas etc. I can't say enough about this property other than it is amazing. I can't imagine anyone staying anywhere else. You should check them out for yourself you won't be disappointed. I think they have a website, probably find it searching the interenet under Hale Makai Cottages. Hope this helps

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Hi hikergirl - I bet you were planning your return trip as soon as you got home? We sure did and are having our third trip in Feb.

We stay at Kuhio Shores, and although I can't compare it to a private cottage, we sure love it there. Since it is so close to the water, there is very little traffic outside your lanai except for the other residents. We stay on the ground floor and only once in 5 weeks of staying there, was there noise from next door. When we asked them to close their outside door, then the noise was gone.

Happy planning!!

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Thanks for the responses and yes I was planning our next trip in my head on the plane ride home from the last trip. I have been able to think of little else. I will consider Kuhio Shores. However, the ground floor corner unit I had my eye on is already booked for our dates, so will have to pick another one. Oh well. Hale Makai is intriquing as well. I have looked at thier web site before and thought the cottages looked nice. Thanks again for the input!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

The weather is still nice in September, so you could really stay in any area of the island. Unfortunately neither place you've mentioned will get you that private cottage feel.

You won't get much of a beach at Kuhio Shores, but the view is spectacular. Wailua Bayview is also oceanfront and has Wailua beach just a few steps away. It's not always the most swimmable beach, but good for kicking back, boogie boarding and surfing. It's also midway between the north and south shores, so getting to other beaches is a snap.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Can't believe what a time I am having deciding where to stay this time. I do appreciate all the advice. We discoverd Lae Nani last night on VRBO. Looking at a top floor unit in building #4. Am not sure its as "ocean front" as they say it is, but it looks nice and reasonably priced. The reviews on here are generally favorable. Any opinions are welcome too. The other thing that seems difficult is my hubby prefers to pick one place and stay there for the entire 2 weeks instead of breaking it up into a couple of places. (makes sense as you can drive anywhere on Kauai in an hour or 2 depending) The problem is, it you aren't happy it could be a long couple of weeks hating where you are staying. I hope I don't sound too picky! :) I am so grateful for all the willingness of everyone on here to share advice and opinions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Make sure the Lae Nani unit looks straight out to the ocean...some units at Lae Nani are perpendicular to the ocean. One unit I stayed in had L.R. and dining room chairs so hard (pads mounted on plywood) that we had to pull in lanai chairs. Lae Nani has a nice protected beach area, but I would not say you could have that "private beach feel" there. It is walking distance from the Coconut Marketplace and sits in a more densely populated and trafficky area just south of a hotel and among about four other condo complexes on Papaloa Rd. After your private cottage experience, I think that will be hard to beat. When jacksongirl returns from her 10 days on Kauai, you might check with her (about Nov. 18) or look for her report about that time for her ups or downs.

My preference is to stay in one place after splitting my stays in earlier times. This island is so easy to get around and repacking/relocating is such a hassle. Another way to look at it...what if, you really bonded to your first lodging and the second one could not compare.

Anyway, knew you wouldn't stay away long!

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Hey BJ...Thanks for the input. We have given up on Lae Nani for all the reasons you described. Think it will be too busy, too big and too "touristy" for us. The unit we were considering did look to the ocean but it was in one of the buildigs farther back on the property. So we are back to sqaure one. Was just looking at a samller condo complex near Poipu. I am leary of finding a private cottage again as the one we stayed at last time was really really worn down, not quite as clean as I would have liked and LOTS of bugs. Now I am no priss and I know bugs do come with a tropical climate, but seriously, this place was loaded with creepy crawlies. The place could use some work in my opinion and the pictures on the web site were a bit decieving. But the loacation was heaven. Guess I want it all don't I? And yes I can not stay away. I really need to get my mind back to my real life here in cold windy Wyoming until September gets closer. Oh, and I can hardly wait for Jacksongirl's report. I hope she is having a fabulous time. Have you ran into her yet? Aloha and have a beautiful day!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Just lost a long responsed to you, so will make a short one.

Will search out jacksongirl today...have been subdued with a kink in my back. Lesson learned about overpacking carry on and then attempting a slam dunk into the overhead. Makeshift hot water bottle from an empty tequila bottle helped in so many ways.

Keep studying vrbo.com. Have a look at 1-2 bdrn houses/cottages down on the water at Anini Beach area (kind of sounds like you) or look at cottages west of the highway between Waimea town and Kekaha where it is drier, not so dense and touristy. There are no guarantees for modernity, cleanliness or buglessness, but I think your post here on T.A. will eventually draw in some actual lodgers between now and next September. Do you want especially to be on the water? There are some neat retreats higher up and jungly with grand vistas and all banana type, pommelo, avocado, lime, tangerine, mango and papaya trees, and their friends in nature: geckos, toads, lots of beautiful birds and naturally, some bugs.

I feel guilty telling you we have a cloudless sky today. I am guessing it is over the entire island as I can see the mid-island mountains with threads of water off the back deck and the sun rose up out of the ocean here on the east side as a giant gold orb and made a reflective trail over the ocean and wet sand all the way up to this lanai. Very comfortable...an beautiful.

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Looked at the places on VRBO on Anini and did see a couple that looked promising, but then found a couple of other properties on Moloaa. It may seem silly to go back to the same area, but it was great there. And we felt it was in a good location for exploring the island. So I have put a couple of e-mails our and will see what happens. Can't thank you enough BJ for all your input. Also I love reading your other posts from your lanai. Keep them coming. Its freezing cold with snow, wind and ice here tonight so love to read about warm, wonderful Kauai.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Next Trip to Kauai

Moloaa Bay is beautiful...not silly to go back to an area you know and enjoy. Just keep at it on the web for other lodging; there are so many rentals down there. Can't hurt to discuss $ matters with the cottage owners...some are really happy to have no hassle and tidy renters return regularly. This November weather has been lovely and island not so crowded pre-Thanksgiving and Christmas. North Shore really, really quiet yesterday. Besides, travel sites do you check the many real estate companies on Kauai, like Prosser Realty, Garden Island Properties, etc., as they also manage vacation properties for owners? If you go to kauaiworld.com you can gather some company names in the real estate box.