We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach has easier access?

orange county,ca.
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which beach has easier access?

Comapring Hideaways (Pali Ke Ku) vs Sealodge which beach is easier to get to?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach has easier access?

Hideaways and Pali Ke Kua are not the same beach. Hideaways is below Puu Poa condos, Pali Ke Kua below those condos.

They all have limited access from the parking perspective although Sealodge is least busy and PKK has lots of parking from the condos (technically not public but no one cares at the moment).

In terms of mobility access PKK has a cement path. It's steep and a good workout but not too long. Hideaways is a short, really steep and dirt except for the first section which is broken but functioning stairs. Very slippery when wet. Not for someone with mobility issues. Sea lodge is a longer path going through the forest. Takes about 10 minutes to get to the beach. Also very slippery when wet and you need to be able to climb down some rocks at the end.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach has easier access?

Hideaways and Pali Ke Kua are two seperate beaches divided by a stretch of lava rock. You can only walk from one to the other at low tide and not then during high surf periods. You can easily snorkle/swim between them when conditions allow.

Pali Ke Kua beach is accessed via a long (300 of my steps) relatively steep concrete path with benches at regular intervals along the way. The top of the path is in the Pali Ke Kua complex. The beach itself is very rocky but it does have a small sand beach area on its western end. It is the easiest of the three to access.

Sealodge beach is accessed via a trail that begins adjacent to the western most building. The beginning is a bit steep and it crosses a small stream and over a stretch of lava rocks. The beach itself is rocky much like Pali Ke Kua but with even less sand.

Hideaways beach is accessed by a narrow path that begins at the road between the Pu'u Poa tennis court fence the St Regis parking lot fence. The path is level for the first 100 yards and then starts down over the edge of the bluff via a set of VERY rickety and steep home made steps with broken and rusty handrails at the top which turn to rope handrails half way down. At the end of the steps it turns to a relatively steep reddirt trail with ropes. This portion can be extremely slippery in wet conditions. The beach at the bottom is a small but incredibly beautiful sand beach. Hideaways is the most difficult to access but the greatest reward.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the steps and view from Hideaways:

travel.webshots.com/album/570757161ywUmaj

Edited: 01 March 2010, 17:57
Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach has easier access?

sweeet thanks for the pics! Although this wasn't my original post I truly enjoyed your pics dfarr! Thanks, good info!

orange county,ca.
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach has easier access?

my apologies, I meant to compare PKK vs. Sealodge. The reason why I am posting this is, is because I have to place my 18 month old on my back and fear of falling down. I'm 33 years old and am in pretty good shape. would either beach pose a risk of me falling?

P.S. Dfarr what a great post!

Edited: 01 March 2010, 23:09
California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach has easier access?

Oh gosh! Hideaways might be too dangerous. A friend of mine said it isn't in the best shape right now.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach has easier access?

Pali Ke Kua beach would definitely be easier with a little one. As a matter of fact you could easily use a stroller all the way down to the picnic area. You might want to take advantage of the benches on the way back up.

Not sure if you looked in my other albums but I also have several pictures of the Pali Ke Kua path, grill/picnic area and beach. To make it easier I moved them into their own album.

Here's the link.

travel.webshots.com/album/576887611pDUJeP

Feel free to look around in all the albums. They are an accumulation of all our past Kauai trips.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 23:38
Oregon
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which beach has easier access?

Be very careful using the broken pipe handrail going down to Hideaways. My son (in his early 20's) cut his finger almost immediately which caused us to turn right around and head back to our condo to clean it up. We never made it back during that trip. We didn't make it down to the ropes, but would really hesitate taking a baby on my back down any steep trail like that one.

We also went to Sealodge Beach. Another semi-rough path over some large rocks, especially near the beach. I had to scoot on my rear to make it down in one area. It is a lovely spot but suspect Hideways is even prettier. We'll find out in a couple of months.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 23:45
orange county,ca.
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which beach has easier access?

how is the trek to tunnels?

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which beach has easier access?

Easy, Tunnels is pretty much at road level and just off the parking area. (if you can find a spot)

Edited: 02 March 2010, 02:35
10. Re: which beach has easier access?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 06:19