We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
455 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter tour - best time of day?

We're spending 3 days on Kaua'i in early June and want take a helicopter tour while we are there. Just wondering if there is any time of day that is best or other times to avoid? For example, never having been to Kaua'i I'm not sure whether there is fog or anything similar to the 'June Gloom' we saw in Southern California in the mornings.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Go in the morning. Your ride will be smoother, and you'll have the rest of the day left for other activities.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Agree with PZP, we have taken all three of our helo tours in the mornings, and have had good luck with the weather situations each time.

That being said, mother nature does seem to do what ever she wants, when she wants, so you might observe the current conditions when you are here and book accordingly.

The forcasters have one heck of time....

We are leading a sierra club hike this morning up in koke'e...

The weather reports from different published sources vary a bit.

weather underground, and one other computer reporting station, to the weather channel.

Reports range from 70% chance of rain all day saturday, to mostly sunny with a 30% chance of a passing shower.( normal stuff ), doplear radar shows rain off to the south east. Hopefully the NE winds will have it stay clear of our northerly shores.

Using the highly technical forcast method of looking out the window, and at

5:00am, it is dry , no rain, and 72 degrees in Lihue.

In june, you should have pretty darned good weather, enjoy your helo adventure.

Denny

Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
455 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Thanks for the advice - we ended up booking with Island Helicopters for June 3, 2010 at 11:15am.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

We flew Island Helicopers in Sept 09 around 1:00. Overcast in the morning but was clear when we flew. Nothing like seeing Kauai by Air....nothing.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Be aware that by 11:00 am, the light will be flat and un-interesting, assuming it's clear. The light will be much better, and make for better photos, early in the morning or later in the afternoon.

For me, the highlight of the tour is the Na Pali coast. All the best photos I have ever seen of that area were taken in the later afternoon. Mid to late morning is when the fog typically starts rolling in around Kalalau and Kokee.

Taking a helicopter tour is a very visual experience. You might as well choose a time the light will show off what you're looking at to best advantage, even if it means getting up early to get to the airport by 8:00 am.

Just my $.02. Have fun.

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

So Dave, do you suggest 8Am? We are going in May and I was thinking of booking at 8AM????

Also I've been there several times in June and I agree that its great weather most of the time!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

Which companies give you the option of flying at 8am? It seems some only start flying at 9.

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

I'm not sure yet. I haven't called to book yet. Thats good to know though that we probably wont be able to go until 9. Thx.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

If you do find a company who go at 8am, let me know. We are also looking to do a helicopter ride either very early or very late in the day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter tour - best time of day?

BLUE HAWAIIAN fly at 8am. On their website booking form there is the option to chose either morning or afternoon flights, or to request a specific time. The earliest time that can be selected it 8am.

They don't guarantee the selected time at the reservation stage but get back to you within 24 hours with an exact time based on availability. I used the online form last week and requested 8am for my helicopter flight in mid-april, and got the 8am time I requested confirmed by email later that day.

Or you could call them for immediate confirmation I guess!