We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

I have been reading wonderful input from experienced Kauai travelers / inhabitants on here and found the info invaluable ! I am curious about vacation rentals and their pitfalls. I always wonder about private rentals if they post only the good reviews, never the not so positive ones like this wonderful site. I need a place for 4, including 2 seniors who are very able bodied but want some comforts. I guess I am hoping to do the impossible here, a trip of a lifetime for these 2 but be something I can afford !

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Hi Ak! I have rented out my own personal condo and have rented condos myself using myresortnetwork.com; another great site is vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner.com)

Probably the most significant savings I've had was through e-bay; paying about 249.00 for a week in a luxury condo, although it was in British Columbia and an exclusive area on Florida's Gold Coast. On e-bay you have to click on the number next to the seller's ID. It explains the amount of satisfactory transactions i.e. 100% means he's probably a safe person to deal with.

The websites where owners put their vacation properties are totally legit. There are many reasons why owners may not be able to use them at their designated time. So far I have had 100% satisfaction and have rented from private parties at a significant savings. I love to travel and want to do it right, but don't want to spend more than I absolutely have to.

Have a wonderful time in Kauai. I'll be there for two weeks in January.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Akcharli,

I think it's in an owners best interest to post all reviews - positive and negative. Sites like rentors.org have an on-line guestbook where rentors can leave comments and it gets posted once the owner approves it. Once in a while there may be somebody that just can't be pleased, but I feel honesty is still the best policy. It doesn't take much effort with the internet for a bad rental place to be found out.

With that said, do you have any idea what part of the island you might like to stay on? What time of year are you considering? Condo, resort, hotel, private home? And what would your budget be?

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions from the many sources of advice on this forum!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Hi there fellow Alaskan! I just thought I would add a bit. I was a bit nervous the first time I did an internet rental, but after surfing for months, you start to get a feel for things . . . noticing little details that work for you personally, maybe not everyone else. I remember a co-worker thinking I was cracked, staying somewhere that wasn't a rated hotel . . . but it worked out great and I would do it again in a heart beat. I think most people are honest and straightforward about their accommodations and if they aren't (being vague), cross them off. After you've searched the web for a bit, call them, and get details . . . figuring out what is important to you. I hope this makes sense. When I went to Kauai, I found a studio condo that was only $60 per night - and it was perfect for us. Fancy, no - but it was pretty, clean (and no cockroaches!) and worked great! We spent most of our time outside anyhow. The vrbo site was already mentioned, and here is the website I used to find our accommodations: http://www.kauaivacationresorts.com/ I think Hawaii can be affordable if you do your research. I also found a great car rental via some of the Kauai websites. And the good thing is their food/dining prices are about the same as Alaska, so you won't have sticker shock like most tourists do.

Also, if you haven't got it yet, get the Ultimate Kauai Revealed - it can also help w/accommodations, activities, beaches, etc. Good luck and write again for more details. You will love Kauai! I can't wait to go back - am hoping Hawaiian vacations is offering their summer special again :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Thank you so much for the input ! I feel much better trying this route. I will try all the suggested websites (never thought of ebay) and plan to look for the Ultimate Kauai this weekend. I am shooting for visiting March or April spending 1000-1500/wk, so still some time to search. The suggestion about owners being vague is a great tip also. Thank You again !!

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

When we researched for place to stay about 6 mos ago, we used Ultimate Kauai for starting point and used vrbo to identify specific units. For our first week, we had a place at Embassy Resort Poipu from my son's timeshare there. But for the next 5 nights, we wanted to see North Shore, so we ended up at Sealodge. While older and not so good looking on the outside per weathered natural shingles, we found it to be as promised. I had a list of at least 20 units there from different mgrs or owners and the prices were all similar, We wanted best unit and view.

I talked to the mgr of the unit I rented several times as she lives here in Calif and spends several weeks per yr there as an owner and mgr of other units. I saw lots of pictures, and felt comfortable with her. I met here on our first day there as they were just leaving their 2bdrm unit. I spent a lot of time on the web searching and felt that I had found three units there that would have been great.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time to Kauai - Vacation Rental ?

Tug classifieds has some good deals, too. I think this will take you to the Hawaii rentals. http://www.tug1.org/tugads/1-2dposted1.html

Another good one is http://www.timesharelink.com/

WE've rented from both these places and were very happy. We also bought a timeshare week off Ebay and were very happy.