We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to sleep on a red eye flight

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
how to sleep on a red eye flight

I swore I wouldn't do it again but here we are booked on an overnight flight. The airfare was reasonable (for Hawaii) and the timing is good (most of the day on island).

Last year my 12 yr old and I took a Benadryl - he zonked out and I was miserable in the middle seat. This time I want to sleep!

What do you do to help you get some shut eye? Alcolhol, pills, meditation, get someone to knock you out, or just give up?

Mahalo!

Kim

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Ambien

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Give up. I have found that I am simply unable to sleep on a plane. Perhaps if someone gave me a major sedative that would normally be given prior to surgery, I might be able to. I find that there is just too much commotion, cramped space, etc. that make is really tough to sleep. Many people can do it; I never have been able to.

California
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Never had a problem sleeping on a plane!!

Maybe try getting as little sleep as possible the night before.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Yep, give it up.

I've never been able to do it either. The red eyes from Hawaii to the west coast are short - 5hours max? Very little time of complete darkness and adding to that is the constant interruptions from crew, captain, movies, loud passengers , kids crying. Seems like some passengers think the party is still on. The plane FINALLY begins to settle down and then the sun is rising, the crew begins to serve coffee and drinks and the commotion begins again.

I always just tell myself......oh well, it's really only 3 a.m. my time. I'll get right home and just sleep.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Be comfortable and bring a pillow (plus drugs). Benedryl doesn't do jack for me but makes my legs nervous. I take a 1/2 of Ambien. 15 minutes and it's nightly night for me. I get stuck in the middle seat too but with a pillow I can handle it. And for those of you who think it's ok to rehash your entire trip to a complete stranger at 1AM, please be quiet! Its NOT OK!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Don't you need a presciption for Ambien?

I would try either Tylenol PM or Advil PM. You might try it before you go. It has worked for me on those long flights.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

Yes, you need a prescription for Ambien, but doctors probably have no trouble giving it to patients when they know they are traveling. It also helps me get to sleep that first night when my clock is off.

Tylenol PM has benedryl which is what makes you sleepy and it makes me wake up with the feeling of hangover.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

I've used Advil PM with no problems.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

We don't leave home without our foam earplugs and Tempur-Pedic eyeshields/mask.......drowning out the noise(Whatever it may be..) makes a huge difference......and a light blocker also helps.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to sleep on a red eye flight

jebett, Ambien is probably a better solution if the OP wants to take something to sleep. I have not taken a red-eye in years and our travel agent was able to get uus a great airfare for this summer without taking the red-eye home (luckily).