We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

My fiance and I will spend 6 days of our Hawaii honeymoon in Kauai (April 13-19). We are staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Please feel free to make any comments or suggestions. I shold also add that this is the beginning of our honeymoon and we really would not mind having downtime after a year of wedding planning.. so I tried to figure out enough things to do to keep us somewhat busy while still having relaxing beach time. After Kauai, we are going to Maui for 6 nights. Here is my list:

1. Helicopter tour- I thought the Wings Over Kauai looked nice

2. Snorkeling- I read that Anini Beach has good snorkeling..if not maybe we can try the snorkeling by Poipu State Park.

3. Waimea Canyon

4. Visit NaPali Cost (either do a sunset dinner cruise or the snorkel cruise)...I'm leaning towards the sunset dinner cruise

5. ATV tour (either ranch/mountain or waterfall)

6. Luau- either in the Grand Hyatt or the Smith's Luau...or should I save the Luau for Maui as someone in the Maui forum suggested?

Thanks!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

1. Helicopter tour- I thought the Wings Over Kauai looked nice - Wings over Kauai isn't a helicopter it is a plane. My wife and I did Blue Hawaiian in August of last year. Nice copters.

2. Snorkeling- I read that Anini Beach has good snorkeling..if not maybe we can try the snorkeling by Poipu State Park. - Since you are going in April you have a chance that the north shore swells may still be up. Consult those who know current ocean conditions prior to going into the water, such as lifeguards.

3. Waimea Canyon

4. Visit NaPali Cost (either do a sunset dinner cruise or the snorkel cruise)...I'm leaning towards the sunset dinner cruise - Sunset cruise would be nice I think. We did a sailing cruise through Captain Andy's....don't do it for the snorkeling because it isn't good at all.

5. ATV tour (either ranch/mountain or waterfall) - Could be fun...I never did one. There are lots of hikes you can go on.

6. Luau- either in the Grand Hyatt or the Smith's Luau...or should I save the Luau for Maui as someone in the Maui forum suggested? - Save the Luau for Maui.

I know you talked about hiking on Maui...but Kauai is by far in my opinion a better island for hiking.

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

Congrats! Make sure that you go to the Queens Bath! Also there is a path in Kapaa that runs north up the coast. It wasn't there the last time that I was there, but we are staying along it in May. That might be a fun place to walk or ride bikes!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

Snorkeling; Po`ipu Beach can be good, and Lawai Beach, a few minutes up the road, is excellent.

RE: Queen's Bath. Skip it, especially in April when north shore surf can be way up. It's a precarious hike down and not a safe place to be in winter, much less to swim in. Not too tough to be swept out to sea there, as has happened before. I know that there's at least one guidebook that shows people swimming in an idyllic, calm pool in the rocks, but it's rarely like that. Do a search on this forum for Queen's Bath and see what you come up with.

Aside from all that, better you should spend a bit of time at Kilauea Light and driving all the way to the north shore end of the road. Plenty to see.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

For some kick back time, and just staying about your digs there at the hyatt.

Morning dawns, and you want to greet kauai without being inudated by fellow visitors, or having to drive to another destination. Or line up first thing for the breakfast buffet.

A nice walk to start your kauai day, is right next to you. Walk out toward the ocean and hang a left...walk toward the left end of the beach, There is a lava rock sor of steps type of trail that leads up to the dunes and cliffs trail.

If you turn right up there, you will stroll a short distance to Makawhehi point, for some nice photos of Shipwreck Beach and the Hyatt, and coast line.

By turning left , you will have a pleasant morning greeting hike along the ocean, with marvelous views. Just walk as long as you wish, inhale the clean kauai air, feel the sun start to warm up the island, and then return for a leisurly breakfast, and plan the days activities.

Actually suggest Joes on the Green at Kiahuna Golf Course.

LAWAI BEACH:

Let the sun climb a little, and take the short drive over to Lawai Beach for some of the best sorkeling on the south shore. Easy entry at the white sandy area, and schools of fish, lots of finny friends, sometimes a turtle or two, etc.

We like to lay out on the grass up at the Beach House Restaurant.

Well kept up lawn, coco palms, and great views.

BIKE RENTALS:

OUTFITTERS on Poipu Road, rents very nice conditioned bicycles, and there are some safe and easy areas to explore all around poipu and Koloa.

We can brief you on back roads, and places of safe passage, keeping off the narrow sections with too much vehicle traffic.

They also have a couple of Kayak/Hiking adventures, that they drive you to in their van, while towing the kayak trailer behind.

Just some suggestions, that are a bit different than the main line visitor activities.

We did both, the normal boats, kayaking, helos, scuba diving, micro light lessons, zip lining, tubing, hikes all over the island, luaus, etc, etc, over the years, but we also like the no or low cost things that we could do as a couple and not as a large group

Just mixed them up , and stirred in the fun factors.

Congratualtions, and welcome to the Garden Island.

Denny.

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

We haven't been to Kauai.....yet! We are due May 11th so I'm keeping my eye on this forum. Just wanted to add that we have done luau's on all the islands (except kauai of course) our all time favorite was on Maui...Feast of LeLe or Feast at LeLe! Great food, amazing setting and beautiful entertainment. It was more intimate than any luau I've been to and we loved it. Snorkeling was amazing on Maui as well! Congrats on your wedding!

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

Anini for snorkeling? Oh there are much better places. Tunnels, Ke'e, Lawai to name a few. The North Shore could be rough one day and calm the next. April is a transitional month so do check daily conditions.

I agree with pzp that going to Queen's Bath should only be done when the ocean conditions are perfect. If you get a big wave while on the lava shelf you can get knocked into the ocean. 2 woman died last year this way.

If you want to have a nice sunset dinner make a reservation today at The Beach House. A helicopter ride or fixed wing like WOK is a must. Waimea Canyon is a yes too but you will see it from the air and you don't have many days. Save the luau for Maui. You can sit on the terrace at the Hyatt and watch it for free. The one on Maui is the best. Take a drive to the North Shore (to snorkel) and see the Lighthouse, shop in Hanalei and walk along Hanalei Bay. Maybe take a surf lesson. Zipline is fun and I think better than an ATV tour. JMO.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

What a great place to start off your Honeymoon. We return there year after year.

Check out Inter-Island out of Port Allen with the doors off. We loved it.

http://www.interislandhelicopters.com/

Captain Andy's Sunset Dinner Sail is great. They have an activity desk at the Hyatt where you can get tickets or order on line before you leave.

Pay for the Luau in Maui, it is better. However, every year we see the Luau at the Hyatt for free. If you are staying in the Poipu wing, you will see it outside on the grass area below, next to the ocean. Think it's Sunday and Thursday nights. We pick one and after a long day of going to the north shore, return to our room, and order room service, and sit on our balcony to watch and listen to their show. It's excellent, and you don't have to drive back. On the event of rain, they do take it inside.

The Hyatt has empty mini fridges in the room and we stock ours with snacks and drinks.

For our first night on Kauai, we go down the street to Keoki's Paradise. We make reservations from home before we leave, because there is always a huge line there at 7 PM. Save your last dinner for the Beach House, the sunset views from there are gorgeous, and it leaves a nice memory of your trip to Kauai.

8. Re: Honeymoon in Kaui- things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 07:16