We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niihau Helicoptors

USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Niihau Helicoptors

Is anyone aware of any discount opportunities for the Niihau Helicoptors half day excursion visit to Niihau? The website is showing $385 per person.

http://www.niihau.us/heli.html

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niihau Helicoptors

Chuck,

Just bump this up a little, but we do not hear much about flying over to Niihau, and it looks like the visit is rather restricted to just one beach of the pilots choice.

Therfore have no info on any kind of discounts.

If remaining on Kauai, you can find fairly deserted beaches here, and also likely to see a monk seal or two snoozed out on one of the beaches.

Would enjoy hearing about the Niihau adventure if or when you head over there......it is something that we just do not hear about, but are aware of the company.

Mahalo

Denny

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Niihau Helicoptors

The couple, that we are going to Kauai with, mentioned Niihau. $385 and a minimum of 5 people. I'm leaning towards not going.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Niihau Helicoptors

I haven't done it nor know anyone directly, but I think there have been reports on the forum--do a search. I thought they flew past some Na Pali cliffs and around most of Niihau during the flight (but not the inhabited parts), and land at a secluded beach (all beaches there are essentially secluded). Some beaches might be prettier than others (I think the one at the foot of the Niihau cliffs facing Kaua'i would be cool, kinda like a mirror image of Polihale)--but I haven't gone, so I don't really know. You could ask ahead of time which beach and for how long.

What I'm pretty sure of is that the helicopter is run by the Robinsons mostly for medevac use for island residents, and use the tour fees to help pay for the upkeep. And what they have exclusive access to Niihau, so no competition from other companies. For these special reasons, I don't believe there are discounts, certainly not like the other companies--but like any business, ask when you call.

In a way, you can't compare the Niihau flight to the other ones. The Kaua'i circle tours all do more or less the same thing, and Kaua'i is spectacular (and probably more varied than Niihau). But the Niihau helicopter tour is the ONLY way for the (paying) public to set foot on Niihau and experience that island in any way. Some people are intrigued or fascinated by this and willing to pay the price. It certainly is a unique experience, however.

4. Re: Niihau Helicoptors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 07:16