We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic

My friend and I will be in 2 weeks. We curious is it raining hard and alot?

THanks

Yen

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

It's rained a fair amount recently, but much of it has been at night. In any case, the weather now has no bearing on the weather in two weeks. If anything, it should be improving as we move towards May.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

Yesterday, tuesday, we had one passing shower very early in the morning.

Only lasted a few minutes.

After that, Lihue was beautiful , clear with warm sunshine. Got some sun out on the lanai, then walked over to Kalapaki Beach and the lighthouse, and then came back and swam in the Banyon Harbor pool.

Pzp, is right on, the weather should be improving overall, as we head into may, and the summer.

We have not experienced hard rain, or a lot of rain of late. Have had some cloud cover and some passing showers, but no real live storms. Felt good to have all of yesterdays sunshine.

Bring your sunscreen, and enjoy.

Denny

Edited: 07 April 2010, 14:35
seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

Thanks everyone!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It is raining at my house right now and my husband called from Lihu'e where he is running the track and said that they just had a huge rain shower that looks as if it is heading our way!

So, since I'm a weenie - my morning walk is going to be postponed as it is getting darker out by the moment - I don't want to get caught in a downpour myself!

Yesterday was really nice, mostly sunny and it just clouded up in the afternoon - but no real showers - a little early to say today, but so far, looks forbidding!

Not to be the "voice of doom" every day! Just the facts ma'am!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

According to the official NWS records for Lihue Airport, they got 1.76 inches of rain last month and 0.30 inches so far this month.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

To get an idea of the North Shore rainfall I usually look at the USGS Hanalei River gage page. You can get river height graphs up to 120 days. It's not always an exact reflection of what's happening right in Hanalei but it's usually a close representation of rain fall in the area.

I always look for the gauge around the bridge when we kayak the river but I've never actually seen it. Anyone know the exact location?

Here's the link:

waterdata.usgs.gov/hi/nwis/uv…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

We're under a flood advisory. It's been raining hard today.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100407/BREAKING01/100407018/Kauai+under+flood+advisory++watch+in+effect+for+other+islands

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Been pouring here most of the morning - right now no rain, just grey skies, but it looks threatening!

Definitely a rainy day to stay inside IMO!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

Here's a web site where you can see the rainfall (in hundredths of an inch) over the last 3, 6, 12 and 24 hours, at locations all over the island.

www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/hydrology.php

In the last 24 hours, it has rained three times as much in Poipu as in Hanalei. Kind of proves the point that most of the time, Kauai weather is very "local".

California
Level Contributor
35,806 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it raining alot in kauai the last week?

That site is too much for my brain, Hank! So it rained over 2 inches in Kapahi? Is that how you read it?