We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time kayakers with kids

San Diego...
Level Contributor
271 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
First time kayakers with kids

We will be visiting for 2 weeks in June and our 3 kids would like to try kayaking. The youngest is 9 years old. I'm really not confident that they would want to kayak for more than a couple hours.

Can anyone recommend a good location to kayak, and a reasonably-priced place to rent them from? We looked at the guided tours, but they are too expensive for our family of 5.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11 April 2010, 02:23
Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time kayakers with kids

It depends where you want to Kayak. If you are staying north and want to do the Hanalei River We rented from the rental place across from the Pier in Hanalei. As I recall it was $20.00 for a double for 2 hours. The Kayaks are on a beach very close to the river. We loved kayaking into Hanalei bay on a very calm day along with going up the river...beautiful scenery.

We enjoy Kayaking, but If you are unsure about your kids and want to do the Wailea River and want to spend less time kayaking and hike to secret falls then then one trip we have done is from the village( the name will come/lol) that is a good option as it is close to the falls, yet plenty of opportunity to kayak.

So much to do and never enough time !

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time kayakers with kids

I think the previous poster meant Kamokila village on the Wailua river. While that is a shorter paddle, I still think that part of the river is slightly more difficult than the Hanalei river--it has the tour boats, some wind, and dealing with getting in and out to go to the falls (which is itself a non-trivial hike of over an hour round-trip). Do not try to do the whole river (which all other outfitters do), I think that would be too much for beginners with kids.

Hanalei river usually has less wind than the Wailua, and the places to rent are more convenient. There is the place at the river mouth, and Kayak Kauai futher upriver with a very easy put in at a private dock.

I'm not sure if the 9-year-old will still fit between the seats on a double, or if you'll need an additional single for the oldest.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
271 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time kayakers with kids

Thanks for the great advice. We are staying one week in Kapa'a and one in Princeville. Hanalei River sounds perfect. I had looked into the Secret Falls thing, but I'm glad to know that river is more difficult. I would not have thought that the one from Hanalei Bay was easier. Good idea about the 9yr. old. I was planning to get a 3rd single kayak for dad, but if he fits we'll try that. Sounds like it will cost us less than $60 which is very refreshing, since it seems that everything else will cost $500 or more for the family!

California
Level Contributor
35,817 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time kayakers with kids

I have kayaked both rivers and found Wailua too windy on the way back. My kids (when they were younger) were having a tough time. We prefer Hanalei River because it gives you the option of going up the river through the taro fields or into the bay if its calm. If you go up the river bring a lot of sunscreen. I found it didn't have much shade. As you first enter Hanalei there is a kayak place close to Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant. I think its called Hanalei Kayak. That is who we use. I've never used the one near the pier but that sounds fun. Maybe this next trip.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time kayakers with kids

We also kayaked from Kauai Kayak which is right next to Hanalei Dolphin. We put right in the Hanalei River and kayaked up the river and then down to to the mouth. It was very calm and a nice kayak, especially for me since I was a first time kayaker. This would be perfect for the kids and we plan on doing that this summer with my 8 & 11 year olds.

Utah
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time kayakers with kids

Myself, my wife, 5 year old boy, 9 year old girl, and mother went through www.kayakwailua.com. They were great. I used a 3 person kayak and paddled my mother and son. My wife and daugher used a 2 person kayak. The river was not difficult and the guide was awesome. The waterfall and pool underneath were refreshing. On the way back we did get caught in some very heavy rains that actually caused flooding and made the national news. The visibily became poor (from the rain), but the current wasn't bad. This was also one of the less expensive excursions.

7. Re: First time kayakers with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:19