We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
328 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

Aloha :)

We're going to be visiting Kauai in a few days. Hideaways is my favourite little beach, and I just have a few questions regarding it! Just wondering if the steep little path down to hideaways is still in the same condition as last summer? Also, I've heard that most of the beach is gone in the winter....to what extent is that true? How is it right now?

Mahalo :)

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

I have never been to Kauai in the summer, but we went to Hideaways a few weeks ago prior to the rain and the path was fine and the beach and snorkeling were outstanding!

Just find a calm day and you will not be disappointed.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

We were there this past February and the path and stairs are pretty much the same shape as they were last year. I've never noticed too much difference in the size of the beach from season to season except during really high surf. This past February I was easily able to walk between Hideaways and Pali Ke Kua beaches during low tide. Here are some pistures I took of those beaches and the paths leading to them.

travel.webshots.com/album/576887611pDUJeP

travel.webshots.com/album/570757161ywUmaj

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

Thank you so much for the post and the pics.....

We absolutely loved hideaways, and hopefully, in a few days, will be able to get over there when we have the short stay cation up at the HBR.

I told Erica that we could toss our back pack type dive bags on our shoulders and walk over from the HBR.....I am also thinking that we could just walk down from the Hanalei Bay Resort on the trail that leads down to their beach....and depending on the conditions, fin from there , snorkeling l over to hideways........Jbett, what do you think....doable ?

We know that we would not find parking in that small lot with the 6 or so stalls, and no chance of spending bucks to park in the St. Regis lot, unless they have become kamaaina friendly.

Great photos of a very special beach. Hideaways has been enjoyed by visitors as well as locals for lots of years.

dfar, did you stay up there, near pali ke kua ? If there is a secret , clandestine plan, perhaps you can PM us.

Mahalo

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
35,791 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

From HBR I would walk down their beach path to Puu Poa Beach and go up the stairs at the hotel and over to the path near Puu Poa. I am not sure about walking along the lava shelf in back of the hotel to get around to Hideaways. I have never tried that because I am a big chicken when it comes to walking on those rocks. I know I would end up at Wilcox with a broken ankle. As far as finning over....????? I've seen kayakers but no one ever snorkeling over.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

Mahalo! I can't wait to go back to my favourite beach :))

Smyrna, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

My wife and I were there during the last week of March. This was our first visit, so we've no basis for comparison from last year. However, the trip down was not as difficult as I had expected based on what I had read in various guidebooks. The railings beside the steps have some spots where they are broken and a bit wobbly, but still quite useful. Once you get to the end of the steps there is a series of ropes that you will need to hang on to if it has rained recently. All you need to do is to not overload yourself with items to carry and take your time walking down. Once beyond the ropes, it's a piece of cake, really. And the beach and the snorkeling are great.

The little public parking was always full. We stayed at the Pu'u Poa condos and apart from evening hours we didn't see too many spaces that weren't immediately taken.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

Great pics!! Thanks////

boston
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

so just a couple of weeks ago I was walking across the beach accessed by the adjacent property walkway down next to our accomadations at Pua Poa via one of their owners invite. Well here I was walking across the sand filled with bliss and then BAMMMM I was on the ground with a broken wrist. I was crossing a mid beach section of rocks that didn't LOOK slippery. Passing by wearing reef shoes and a back pack of snorkle gear and a grass mat. . . Next thing I knew, I was heading to Wilcox for a couple of mid vacation visits with an extended stay in a cast and some therapy.

Be careful where and how you walk. This was no tumble and fall slip. Dis was da real kine of highway speed wipeout. Oh what a beautiful beach. Say hi to the fishies I never did get to meet up with!

Paradise is one dangerous place. Even though I am veddy careful, s#it happens to the most cautious in an instant. Have a blast. Just watch out for that mossy patch of rocks that didn't hit my radar as slippery. Silly wahine!!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

We understand about walking on rocks, wet or otherwise, and avoid that. Not only for being slippery, but need to be aware that the ocean waves can come in, sweeping people off their feet...not good.

We also do not boulder hop when crossing rivers, we plant our feet on the bottom and wade across, leaving our boots or shoes on......slips here can also result in injuries, especially since the boulder hopper has momentum, and very little stability or balance.

Good point with the mention of how wild and and natural kauai island is, and to be thoughtful and cautious.

I think our plan will be to walk down to the beach at the HBR, and then up to the St. Regis gate area, and then down to Hideaways.

Also, will check out the phase of the moon, currents and conditions for snorkeling over, and would only do that in flat calm.

We have been going to hideaways for about 14 or so years, and really like it. Such a special place to us. Hopefully the ocean kahuna will cooperate.

If not, there is always another time.

Mahalo,

Denny

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current condition of Hideaways beach & path?

gyppielou....I think I hit that same exact rock on Pali Ke Kua beach about 3 years ago. One second I was enjoying the incredible beauty without a care in the world and the next second I was gasping for what felt like was going to be my last breath. Luckily all I hurt was my pride and my water bottle. You are right, they sure don't LOOK slippery! Maybe we should place one of those yellow "slippery when wet" warning signs down there. I know I made sure I walked around that spot the last few times I've been down there.