We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui, Kauai or Lanai

New York City
12 posts
Save Topic
Maui, Kauai or Lanai

I am planning a HI vacation with a friend in May of 2006. We are definitely staying in Oahu (Halekulani Resort) for the last four days of the trip. The question is, where for the first five days...I have researched Kauai (Hyatt Resort) and Lanai (Manele Bay) and Oahu North Shore (Turtle Bay Resort). Most friends who have been to Hawaii insist we do at least two islands during our nine day stay - and most are push for Maui (we are booked at the Westin, Maui for now).

I am a vacationer who does not like alot of running around/crowds, and please do not take offense - small children, on my vacations. Goes without say that my research has pushed me towards Lanai, but I don't want to leave my friend in the lurch with no activity - he is a trekker/hiker kinda person.

Is Lanai / Kauai the place to go over Maui. And if Lanai is our final decision - is the FS Manele Bay still under construction? OR would Kauai meet vacation fun for both traveling buddies. I tell ya, the more I read about Kauai and Lanai - the less intrigued I become about Maui, but friends continue to rave...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,939 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Aloha! Yes, I have friends who love Maui the best, and while I liked Maui, my preference is for Kauai - did not want to go home. It's quiet, hardly any spot had a crowd except our luau, which is expected. :) Unless you stay at just one spot on Maui - like Hana, you will face crowds/traffic congestion. While Kauai is quiet, there is so much to do, especially for any nature lover - trails to hike, waterfalls to see, the Waimea canyon/Kokee state park, beaches, snorkeling, rivers to kayak, I could go on and on. And the scenery is just incredible - if you are looking for paradise, Kauai is the place for you! I would recommend that you get the Ultimate Kauai Revealed - it will be a tremendous help for you. Just seems overall that Kauai would be a good fit for both you and your friend. Hope this helps you some! :)

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

I agree with the above post...go to Kauai. It is tranquil and still lots to do without the crowds of people.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Haven't been to Lanai, but definitely prefer Kauai over Maui. You will already have all the excitement and people in Oahu, and Kauai will be a greater contrast to that than Maui.

If your friend is a trekker/hiker, Kauai is the place to be. Lots of great walks and hikes and semi-deserted beaches.

No offense taken on the "small children" comment because I am the same way. The only caution I would give is that the pools at the Hyatt (which are incredible) seem to have a LOT of kids around, so you might not want to spend a lot of time at the pools....

Canada
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Another vote for Kauai. Much quieter, more rural, awesome beaches, really laidback and nice people. There is lots to do, should you decided to keep busy. Not much of a nightlife, however. We (40's, 26 & 19) all agreed that Kauai was our favourite island, just for the beauty of it.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Late to the party as usual, but I'll cast my vote for Kauai. A lot of people prefer to do Oahu or Maui first, then come to Kauai to unwind and relax. It's kind of hard to leave Kauai once you're there!

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Kauai is beautiful, called the Garden Isle for good reason. There is not much to do on Lanai so unless you want to go and stay at your hotel the entire time, you may get bored. The Hyatt Regency Kauai is spectacular. Lots to do in Kauai and I hope you consider going there! Have fun!

Cheyenne, WY
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Well I am really late to this party but as usual can't resist giving my 2 cents worth of opinion. Its Kauai hands down, although I have not been to Lanai. I have friends who love Maui too and don't understand why I prefer Kauai or the Big Island over Maui.And one friend thinks I am very crazy to love Kauai as much as I do. He prefers Maui and has been back 3 times to Maui but has no interest in going back to Kauai. Different stokes for different folks as they say. As already posted there is so much to see and do on Kauai without too much traffic, hassel, and crowds and running around. Kauai is the only island that I was planning my next trip back on the plane ride home. Going back in September and can hardly wait. Happy planning and travels!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Another vote for Kauai. I was in Maui and the BI in October. Maui is rapidly loosing it's charm for me. The Westin kaanapali is a Zoo!. I stayed at the Sheraton at Black Rock, much nicer all around than the Westin. If you are set on Maui, try the Wailea area, much more peaceful than west Maui.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

Maybe we should all stop promoting Kaui before it turns into another Waikiki or Maui!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui, Kauai or Lanai

All the islands are lovely, and each is different, but IMHO Kaua'i is the best. While we certainly don't want to become another overcrowded, overdeveloped Maui, we do want/need visitors.

My only concern for you would be that the Hyatt, while really nice, might have more keikis than you want. You might want to look into the Coconut Coast - Wailua/Waipouli/Kapa'a - or maybe something up towards Kilauea or even Ha'ena, where the Kalalau Trail starts. It really depends on how you want to spend your time and whether you want to be pampered or not.

Kaua'i no ka oi!