We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Kauai History

California
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Some Kauai History

I just started reading The Story of the Coco Palms Hotel thanks to info. I got last week from this forum. I've been trying to figure out the location of the Hanalei Plantation Hotel mentioned in the book--but no luck. Finally got the brilliant idea to do a search on the Kauai Forum. All my questions were answered in a topic called Kauai 35 Years Ago. This topic began in 2007 and continued in Sept. of 2009. It's been such fun reading all of these informative and interesting posts. Thank you all!!

Anyone new to this forum who is interested in the history of Kauai would enjoy reading them as much as I did.

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Kauai History

Don't you love the book?

The Hanalei P Hotel is on the bluff next to HBR. It is owned by the same group that owns St Regis. We thought it was sold to The Montage Group but we found out that this deal fell through. There is some recent clearing of brush and rumbles that something may be going on over there.

If you are over at HBR and look towards the hill you can see some old cement pillars still from the old hotel. This was also the site of the filming for South Pacific. The Frenchman's house was on the top of the hill as I understand it.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Kauai History

I thoroughly enjoyed that book. It's so interesting to see how Kauai once was, and what it has become. It remains a relatively quiet and laid-back island. I first visited the island in 1987, and it has changed significantly even since that time. I think the Poipu area didn't have its first hotel until the early-mid 60s. I think the Sheraton was built in 1965. The Waiohai was built around the same time from what I recall hearing or reading too.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Kauai History

I remember wondering exactly where the Hanalei Plantation Hotel was too. I figured it was close to HBR and the St. Regis. If I could just transport myself back to that time for a day. I'm sentimental to begin with, and when I start reading and hearing about places I love from a historical perspective, I just go crazy. For me, a big part of the joy of travel and experiencing things is to have an appreciation for the history of the place.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Kauai History

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I remember staying at the Coco Palms Hotel if you can believe it! It was during the latter years, but it was still so wonderful. I totally treasure that book - it is so great and has got to be part of the bookshelf of anyone who loves Kaua'i's history David Penhallow did an incredible job with it!

It was a fabulous place and I think it was my 2nd trip to Kaua'i after our honeymoon - that was probably the trip that I totally fell in love with it - Coco Palms was unique and just magical - it is also so strange that my best friend as well as a couple of my hula sisters were performing on the stage in the Lagoon Dining Room and I was sitting in the audience never knowing that I would move there and come to know them so well. It just shows you that you never know where life is going to lead you!

I love that book - if you look at Page 279 at the picture of the employees - she is the stunning girl in the blue dress with the big white flower - 2nd row from bottom on the far left side. On page 276 there is a picture of Uncle Larry and Auntie Gloria along with their dancers - 2 of whom I dance with now and who can still dance Tahitian with the teens - you go girls!!

Wonderful, wonderful book - interesting thing also - I contacted a guy here locally who had a ton of stuff from the old Coco Palms - I ended up with an ice bucket that I use as a catch-all for my pens, scissors, etc. and a wonderful blue tile with a frog from the "Frog Wing" and the number on it - he also had some really unique stuff - a video from one of the Queen Deborah pageants that they used to have there - and an employee newsletter that he found (don't ask me) in a desk - it is really quirky and written by and for the employees - it was from Oct. 1960 - he asked me to give the original to Uncle Larry (which I did) and of course I kept a copy - I also have the written out "The Legend of the Frog aka The Legend of Pu'ukaninui, The Polokanui of Coco Palms" - which is so cool - it formed the basis of the song "Kamalani" that Uncle Larry Rivera wrote and which was subsequently recorded by several artists - among them, IZ.

Okay - I digress from the original Plantation Hotel question I know - but at least I'm still talking about the book - I knew "Jebett" would know about the location of that old Plantation Hotel - it is so hard to imagine now - let alone the site for Emille Debeque's "Some Enchanted Evening" song - boy, I'd love to see that! It is probably occupied by some condo I imagine.

Okay - now let me put my book back on my bookshelf!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Kauai History

Interesting personal story, Koloagirl. Life manages to make some very coincidental turns.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Kauai History

We also have the history of the coco palms hotel, sitting on our living room cocktail table.......and you really can feel the early magical and interesting times of that earlier era of kauai.

For those headed to kauai, and have some spare time, you could stop by borders in the Kukui Grove shopping area, and maybe just look thru it, and see if you might also want to take a copy home with you.

Koloa Girl and Napa , as well as the other posters are right on. Life leads us all on unique paths. Our path brought us to kauai for a visit, and eventually to our lives here .

It is grand to see that others feel the same, whether visitors for a week, or longer, or have given the mainland stuff away and relocated permanently.

The other day......I mentioned to Erica :

"If we had millions of dollars, and could live anywhere on this blue planet, where would that be ?

The answer........................................................................................................................................................................................................total silence.

Much aloha,

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Kauai History

Okay, I plan on doing a little more exploring this year. I'm going to find where the Hanale Plantation Hotel was (thanks to jbett) and also check out HBR. I'm enjoying the book immensely and have been wondering if your auntie is in any of the pictures, jbett. She must have some great stories! Janet, I enjoyed checking out the pictures of your friends. You reminded me of my own little piece of memorabilia from Coco Palms, I had written my trip diary on their stationery in 1977. Here's a little excerpt of my "Trip Report" from way back then.

Aug. 11--Arrived in Kauai and Coco Palms Resort--Fantastic!! Dinner and a good show in the Lagoon Dining Room

Aug. 12--Toured the island's south shore today. Had breakfast at Poipu Beach at the Kauai Sheraton--then went to Spouting Horn--Neat! Next went to Polihale State Park through sugar cane fields. A very nice, secluded beach. We changed--took a swim and sunbathed for awhile. Next up to Waimea Canyon--very pretty, but hit rain at the very top. Rained all the way down. Had dinner at the Marina Restaurant then shopped at The Market Place at Coconut Plantation

I don't remember the Marina Restaurant. Was it down where Duke's is??

Well, guess you can tell I don't make a living in writing, but it was fun pulling those notes from my drawer and remembering. Thanks, Janet.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Kauai History

I was at the Hanalei Plantaion Hotel in the '60s. It was about where the notation "Hanalei Beach Park" is on this map (the beach park is actually on the other side of the Hanalei River):

http://tinyurl.com/zaxtdh

If you notice, there is a Hanalei Plantion Road. Back in the sixties, that road led right into the hotel of the same name, but now it goes down the hill to the St. Regis pool, (used for construction vehicles during the St. Regis remodel). If you follow the road today, there is a place just before it swings right to cross the blue line (a stream) where the remains of the old road go left.

Hank

Edited: 23 April 2010, 18:03
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
697 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Kauai History

Sorry, bad link. Here's a good one:

http://tinyurl.com/2arjjxj

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Kauai History

My auntie did not make the book, but I bought it for her and gave it to her for her 90th birthday last year. I also gave a copy to my FIL for Xmas. You can buy it at Costco on the island. He saw so many friends from high school in some of the pictures.

If you park at the end of the road you can walk down the path. A guest of mine was walking down last year as she spent her honeymoon at the hotel. As she was walking down a black sedan was pulling up to lock the gate. He asked if he could help them and they said they wanted to see the site where they spent their honeymoon. The man in the car told them his parents had spent their honeymoon at the same hotel the year after they were there. It turned out to be Jeff Stone who is the President of the Princevile Group. They own the St Regis. He has plans to do something big with that land and had recently cleared some trees. The clearing of the trees improved the view plain at HBR ,so you can walk down but be careful. There is still a lot of overgrowth and it is private property so you are warned. I walked up from the beach part way. Mr Stone sent my guests some old pictures and a brochure from the original hotel and she forwarded them to me. If I can find them I will let you know.

It is such a beautiful site.