We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best luau for kids 7 & 8

Norwalk, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best luau for kids 7 & 8

We are planning to come back to Kauai this August. My son asked about a luau this time. We are staying in Kapaa, but are willing to drive. Any suggestions on keeping 7 & 8 year olds entertained? Smith's, Hyatt, Sheraton or Luau Kalamaku? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

The most convenient for you would be Smiths but Kalamaku might be fun and he can ride the train at the plantation too. At Smith's if you don't want to have dinner first you can purchase just the show to save some money.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

I'd suggest Smith's for their wide open grounds to stroll (or to ride through on a tram) with various recreated villages, labeled trees, bridges, peacocks, etc. Lots to see, hear, smell, etc. The unearthing of the pig starts the show, with plenty of kid friendly food, music, and a lively atmosphere. Then on to the amphitheater with a dramatic presentation of the various cultures that make up Hawaii. If you sit near an aisle, the Chinese Dragon might even come up to thrill the kids. Ending it all is a fire knife dance sure to keep their interest to the end. All in all a very colorful and entertaining time. This would be my recommendation for families with youngsters.

Edited: 25 April 2010, 07:02
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

Agree, Smith's for that age group. There's more movement opportunities for the kids., activities, change of location to the amphitheater for the show. I also think the show is the best for the kids (real attention-getter)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
271 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

I am also looking into Smith's with my kids. My question is, are you stuck waiting around for dinner if you come early for touring the grounds? Are you able to tour the grounds later, after the Imu Ceremony, or just in the beginning?

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

Man, I must have been in a bad mood when I went to Smith's luau. I've been to 4 or 5 luaus on Kauai, and Smiths is the only one I would not go to again. The food was okay--the same as every other luau I've been to, but the show, to me, was interminable--dance after dance after dance from every culture that has ever stepped foot in Kauai and between every dance we were told to "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show." I couldn't wait for it to be over!

Your kids would probably have more fun on the Fern Grotto tour which we enjoyed a hundred years ago, and yes, I know it's a little cheesy, but I'm guessing they still have some entertainment which they'd enjoy. I haven't been to Kalamaku (Gaylord's?). I think that's popular with the cruise ships.

Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth. I guess if you go with the right attitude you'll have fun wherever.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

My daughters loved going to Smith's luau - the first time, the youngest was 6 . . . and when we returned a few years later, that was the one thing they wanted to do again. And I just asked her now at age 14, and she replied that she would go AGAIN in a heart beat . . . so there you go. The first time we went, we didn't do the tour, we just wandered around a bit before the dinner. The second time to Smith, we did the tram tour, which was good as well. It is a great place for kids to burn off a bit of energy. Both were totally captivated by the show. :)

7. Re: Best luau for kids 7 & 8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:16