We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

We are on the POA next month. I have been reading lots of the old threads, but could still use some assistance. These plans are tentative. Things could be changed, other than my daughter's ziplining. That was promised to her, and I don't want to go back on my word. How does this look?

Day One:

Schedule has ship docking for 8:00 a.m. We would head straight to get the car.

Drive north and stop to see Wailua Falls and Opaeka Falls.

Continue driving north and stop at the Kilauea Lighthouse.

Drop daughter off at Princeville Ranch at 11:45 for noon ziplining. Her tour includes lunch. Then we would drive to Na ‘Āina Kai Gardens for their 1:00 p.m. tour. (need to check in at 12:45 p.m )Do we have time for a quick lunch or perhaps to go to the Princeville Hotel Lookout? We finish at 4:00; ziplining finishes at 4:30. Are the gardens worth it, or should we look for something else to do?

Pick daughter up and go to Princeville Lookout if we didn't do it earlier.

Drive west along the shoreline for awhile. How far do you think we would have time for?

Turn around and head back to Hanalei. Have some shave ice and walk around town a little bit.

Head back to the ship.

Is this doable for day one or am I too ambitious?

Day Two:

Get to the Blue Hawaiin Office for 7:45 a.m. Take the 8:30 am. Helicopter tour. Return by 9:50.

Drive to The Spouting Horn, and then drive to Poipu Beach. (Or is there something else closer to the ship to do?)

Head to airport to return car and board ship.

Edited: 28 April 2010, 03:47
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Forgot to mention that on day 2, the ship leaves at 2:00 p.m. We need to be on board by 1:00 p.m. I believe.

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

For a quick lunch you could stop at Federico's in Princeville Center or get a burrito at Red Hot Mamas.

From the zipline to the gardens should take you 25 minutes.

The gardens are a nice activity so if you enjoy that kind of thing then do it. I don't know how long the tour is but you will probably have time to walk around Hanalei after and before picking her up in Princeville. I am confused as to your "drive west along the shoreline".

I wouldn't back track towards Hanalei. I would head back down the highway towards Kapaa and have dinner there. There are also cute shops she might enjoy visiting.

Day 2 looks good. There is Kalapaki Beach closer to the ship which you could enjoy.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

****The gardens are a nice activity so if you enjoy that kind of thing then do it. I don't know how long the tour is but you will probably have time to walk around Hanalei after and before picking her up in Princeville. I am confused as to your "drive west along the shoreline". *****

Garden Tour is from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Ziplining tour is from 12:00 to 4:30 p.m.

By drive west I meant drive toward Ke'e Beach, but not go that far. I have a map that shows that route as very scenic. So I was wondering if we had time to head that way for a bit to catch some good views.

Thanks for the quick lunch ideas.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

The Thai place right by Federico's in P'ville Center is also quite good. You have to ask if you want it spicy.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

If we want to spend time in Hanalei, would it be better to skip the waterfalls on day one and head straight to Hanalei? Then on Day 2, do the waterfalls after we get back from the Helicopter tour? We just wouldn't do the Spouting Horn and Poipu Beach.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Six <=> Half Dozen. Unless you're planning to spend some time at Po`ipu Beach I think I'd do the waterfalls. You might also have time to spend a little at Kalapaki, if you want some beach time. There are a few little shops and some decent restaurants there, and it's right by the ship.

It hardly seems worth doing almost another hour on the road (down and back to Po`ipu) when you could be relaxing on the beach. If not Kalapaki, Lydgate is very close to Opaeka`a Falls.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Ditto pzp. I wouldn't drive that far just to see Spouting Horn. Since your flight leaves from the airport, I believe, I'd stick to the east side for day 2 and not run around the island like crazy people. I'd check out the waterfalls or consider a short hike or some beach time, then have lunch somewhere before dropping off the car and boarding the boat.

You are doing a great job of packing a good amount into 1.5 days!

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Just a quick thought. We did the Na `Aina Kai Garden tour in a very recent trip. They were enjoyable and in a lovely area. I thought the sculptures were very well done, but after visiting all the National tropical Botanical Gardens on different trips, for various reasons I was a little disappointed. That was just my own personal experience.

I would read about Limahuli Gardens on ntbg.org. The magical setting along with the history of the early settlements on Kauai and learning about the plants always give me a deeper insight into the Island.

We ended up volunteering for a morning on our last trip and it was fascinating and i loved watching the few people that were leaving with large smiles and very content.

I have always enjoyed the self guided tours as we like to go at our own pace and find the booklet they give you is VERY sufficient for information.

The other advantage is that it is a smaller area to cover and right by Ke'e beach and close to tunnels. It would give you more time to stop at the lighthouse, the lookouts, Hanalei town and perhaps visit the Pier as you make your way to the Garden and Ke'e beach. You will not have a lot of leisure time or beach time but you will get a very good feel of the North shore. Just my 2 cents! Read about both and see what interests you.

Also both falls are a quick stop and could be done either day.

Enjoy!

new york
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

how old is your daughter? if she is young you may need to zipline with her vs just dropping her off. also there is a weight requirment .

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One and half days in Kauai. How does this plan look?

Good suggestion from sallyho, I loved the Limahuli, you can take a self guided tour it would take a lot less time and enable you to visit Ke'e beach and have lunch someplace.