We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South for August Honeymoon?

boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
North or South for August Honeymoon?

My fiancee and I have decided on Kauai for our honeymoon Aug 9-19th, so total of 10 days. From everything i've read it sounds like both are very nice, but just would like to get any opinions on what is the best bet for a honeymoon in August? We like the beach scene, but also wouldn't mind doing a bit of exploring, enjoying good restaurants, etc. Plus any ideas on the best place to stay for about a budget of $200-$250/nite would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

If I were honeymooning in August, I'd probably pick the north shore. But there are few hotels up there and the St. Regis which is out of your price range. Howeer, there are lots of condos in Princeville to choose from within your range, if that will do for you. There is also the Hanalei Bay resort, which are mostly condo type facilities, but is a bit more "resorty" with a nice pool and Lounge.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

Yes, north during the summer time - stunningly gorgeous! Kauai isn't huge, so you will find it easy to explore the whole island, but the best swiming and snorkeling will be from the northshore during the summer. Happy planning! :)

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

Of course I am going to say North Shore but I will give you options on the South side and even the East side.

I say North because the calmest waters will be on the North and Johnny Depp will be here filming. :-)

NS options for accommodations in your price range:

Puu Poa condos

Hanalei bay Resort (rent through private owner only not from sites like Orbitz, Hotels.com etc)

Pali Ke Kua condos

Westin (might have lots of kids)

SS:

Kuhio Shores (no pool)

Sheraton

Poipu Kapili condos

East:

Marriott Hotel (Kalapaki Bay)

For a 10 day stay you might consider splitting your stay.

I would stay 3 nights at Marriott for easy access to hiking near Waimea Canyon and then 7 nights on the North Shore.

Suggestions on how to decide.

1. Buy a guidebook on Kauai

2. Read back on some old posts

3. Follow the board for a week and see what people are saying

Congratulations and get hopping on making reservations. August is a busy month!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You really can't go wrong with either the North Shore or South Shore during August - it is usually a great month here overall and it really just depends on what part of the island "fits" you best. There is really no "better" side as far as the weather in August.

The South Shore (where I live) does indeed have lovely beaches for swimming and snorkeling - an incredible undeveloped coastal area with miles long beaches to explore (Maha'ulepu) - and many options for dining and some shopping as well. There are great walking paths that go along the ocean and the "honu watching" (turtle watching) is great from here also -we also have the Spouting Horn area and the fantastic Allerton Gardens/McBryde Gardens of the National Tropical Botanical Gardens.

The North Shore is so lovely and tropical - and Princeville has tons of condos and one big luxury hotel (St. Regis) - I like Hanalei Bay Resort myself up there - it just has such as lovely "feel" to it - I love anything that smacks of "Old Hawai'i" (whatever that may mean to you) and the Hanalei Bay Resort seems set apart from the rest of the Princeville area, which I like. In order to go to Hanalei Bay or farther North to Tunnels or Ke'e (which are the big snorkeling beaches) you need to drive about 10 minutes down the hill and into Hanalei Valley and then beyond - there is a small beach that you can reach via pathway from the Princeville area also.

I'd just do your research on what each part of the island has to offer (each one is different from one another and has a differerent personality) - and find the best one for you personally! "Jebett" has given you several great places to check out.

Good luck!

Malama Pono,

Janet

boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

Wow you all have been so very helpful! I just wanted to reply and thank all of you for providing some input. I'll need to do a bit more research now!

6. Re: North or South for August Honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 06:21