We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Marathon in September

Marysville...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Marathon in September

We will be going to Kauai September 2 of this year. We have not purchased airline tickets or a car rental yet in the hopes that prices will drop within the next month. I just found out there will be a marathon on September 5 and now am wondering if I should still wait for awhile or should I purchase now? Does anyone know how crowded it will be in Poipu during this time? Is this a one day event or does it last a few days? We are staying 1 week at Lawai Beach Resort and the next week at Pu"u Poa.

Is it mostly locals that partake in this or do people from all over attend? I was hoping for ticket prices to drop after the start of summer tourist season but now debating if there will be a lot of people coming in during that time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Last year was the inaugural year for the Kaua'i Marathon - it brought over 2,000 runners (not including their families) here to Kaua'i - most of them tried to stay here in the Po'ipu area.

It was fantastically successful and just about everyone you talk to here now says they are either doing the full or the half this year - so resident wise, I know there are going to be a LOT more people entered.

It has been well marketed and got VERY good reviews amongst the runners, so I would expect possibly a doubling of last year's entrants.

If you do plan on running in this event - I would definitely advise making your travel plans as soon as possible - most people that I know from the mainland who are coming started planning a return trip for the Marathon almost a year in advance!

My hubby loved the race - well organized and fabulous course!

If you would like more detailed information - please PM me - I'd be happy to help you!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

I would venture to say you are flying from SEA direct to LIH. Most of the people that run are local or coming via Oahu. Would you assume that too, Koloagirl?

I am searching prices too and am finding if I leave on a Tuesday or Wednesday I can get better fares. You are also coming for Labor Day weekend and prices might be higher because it's a holiday.

With car rentals just keep watching and they will drop but do make one now because of the marathon. You can keep changing the resv. That will certainly be a big issue and you might be renting a moped if you don't book at least something soon.

Marysville...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't think a moped would work to well with 4 of us coming over. LOL.

Have already gotten the condos arranged and will available on the 2nd which is a Thursday. Hope I can find something affordable coming in on that Thursday.

We are not doing the marathon so I am just curious how the roads are going to be. Are there going to be road blocks and where would they be? Will try to avoid that if possible. Will try to schedule a day trip for most of that day or just stay around the condo? I would imagine parking will be bad around Poipu and the shopping center.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

It's really a non issue if you won't be running, except for some minor traffic things the day of the race. Many of the runners come from neighbor islands (or are Kauai residents), so its not like there is a huge influx of tourists that week, just a slight bump in Poipu occupancy.

From what I remember, certain areas are closed at certain times. Your best bet would be to take a trip to the north shore or go hiking in Waimea that day. They obviously have to provide access to and from Poipu, but it just takes a bit longer. The race starts at 6 or so, and the major traffic issues last from around 7-noon, when the majority of runners are out and about. If you do plan on staying in the area, give yourself an extra 30-60 mins lead time to get where you want to be. Your hotel will have info on traffic closures.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Actually I'd say that about 80% (guesstimate) of the participants in the half and full marathon from last year were visitors - if you go into this link - and click on each age group for half and full marathons - it will show you where each person is from - in looking at it, it seems the majority are visitors.

http://www.thekauaimarathon.com/results/

This race was so incredibly well organized and attended last year that is being advertised all over the island here with posters for the 2010 Kaua'i Marathon - and on FB as well as running magazines, etc

I know it boosted our occupancy levels here in the Po'ipu area last year by a huge margin - everything around here was booked and people were having to drive in from Lihu'e in fact.

I'd definitely get my "ducks in order" if you are planning on doing this event this year - I know it has been getting rave reviews in the running world and being advertised heavily all over the place.

Malama Pono,

Janet

(P.S. - not to boast -lol - but my hubby was the 2nd Kaua'i finisher in the full marathon last year - hooray! He thought it was one of the best marathons he has ever run - and he's been doing them for 30 years!)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

I agree on getting your travel plans in order sooner rather than later. It was a super fun event last year and I can assure you that everyone who had a good experience then has probably told a few others about it who might decide come this year.

Not everyone running will stay in the Poipu area, but we did see lots and lots of participants just walking from their hotels to the starting line, so for runners, it's a good place to stay. For those coming from other parts of the island, parking wasn't bad last year, but could be a problem if more people outside of Poipu participate.

It was a very well run event last year, and if it is the same or better this year, things should run very smoothly indeed.

7. Re: Kauai Marathon in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 07:16