We will be moving from New Zealand to Los Angeles for 3 years in July and will be taking a much needed break for 2 weeks en route in Hawaii. The flight from NZ gets in quite late so our current plan is to stay in a hotel near the airport for one night and to then fly to Kauai the next day.
We then intend to go to Kauai for 8 to 10 days and then back to Oahu for 4-5 days.
Initially our focus will be on rest and then we will be up for some adventures (well as much as you can with a 2 year old boy).
We do intend to hire a car.
We don't need luxury (on a bit of a budget) but do want something easy, with kitchen and access to laundry if not part of the accommodation.
A few questions:
1. Where do you recommend that we stay for our stop over night on Oahu.
2. Getting to Kauai - How often do flights leave for Kauai - do we need to book in advance or can we just turn up. What will give us better deals?
What is the local airline - can we book online or can you recommend a travel agent?
3. What is the easiest way to book a car on Kauai - ideally to pick up at airport. Are car seats included?
4. Where do you recommend we stay on Kauai? We would like easy access to beaches safe for our boy, playgrounds, supermarket. We're not big shoppers so don't need that so much.
5. When we head back to Oahu, where do you recommend we stay? We'll be ready to do a few more things by then (once again though we're happier to be in a more relaxed environment and we will hire a car).
6. Anything else you think worth knowing?