We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many beaches........

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
So many beaches........

We had a wonderful time. Went to every beach possible this trip from Salt Pond Beach to Ke'e. Had never been to a few before like Salt Pond and Maha'ulepu/Gillens. Loved them all. Hubby really liked Maha 'ulepu the best.

Whoever{and you know who you are} said Hideaways paved path was a breeze must really be in good shape. I was sucking that fresh air when I got back up the path.

3 chi this story is for you. We went up a road I believe was Powerline Road on the NS. Incredibly beautiful small road. As we got higher a little chi dog was guarding the road. He was right in the middle and would not budge an inch. We nicknamed him Killer. He barked and barked and I told hubby this is a sign.//turn around. So we did!

Places we ate:

Paradise Cafe{bfast}

Bubba"s

Puka Dog

Tamarind/ Thai Princeville Center{takeout twice}

Hanalei Gourmet

Kalypso"s{bfast and happy hour calamari} Very good

Med Gourmet{Sunday Brunch}

Anahola Boar[roadside}

Huk Lanai{very good mixed grill}

Wake up Cafe{cash only}

Foodland Deli{hulihuli chicken}

Gelato place next to Puka Dog{yum}

Went to Costco for the first time on Kauai. Really great prices on steaks, shrimp, salads.mac nuts, etc.

Went to Koloa rum for tasting. That was fun. A rum cake came home with me and is gone now.

Fun things besides the beaches:

Island sails catamaran sail in Hanalei Bay. Just awesome I posted info earlier for them.

Golf cart ride around Princeville golf course $25.00 per couple after 3:00 pm I believe.

Rum Tasting if you are on that side.

Sunset every night from the bluffs in Princeville.

Making it up 20 steps on the Kalalau Trail!! No broken bones!!

Sunshine Market Tuesday Hanalei

Hanalei!!!!!!

Shopping/Browsing all over

Meeting some amazing TA folks{cocktail in hand of course}

Mai Tai at the Nui

Our last night it really rained all night into the bfast hours. As I left Hanalei I counted 7 waterfalls!! I was pretty happy with my Wake up Cafe bfast...But go into Kauai Nut Roasters and get some snacks for that long trip home.Excellent Pineapple and kona almonds//4494 Aku Road. And like the shop owner said just try and relax on that long ride home and remember what a wonderful time you had. Plan your next trip and realize like I do every time I go, how blessed I am to visit such a wondrous place!!!

California
Level Contributor
37,259 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many beaches........

What did you think of the wild boar? How do they serve it?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,918 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many beaches........

The boar is in a styrofoam clamshell with some roasted potatoes and corn It's just cut up into large pieces.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many beaches........

Sounds like a great trip. Did you like your Puka dog?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many beaches........

Pzp is correct on the serving. I didnt sample any that day. I had mac nut ice cream for dinner. Anahola offers this on the weekends/or huli huli chicken cooked right in front of you. A few other vendors are there. We bought some Auntie Lil products there also//Probably can purchase it elsewhere and save a dollar

Puka Dog is ok to me. I normally take half the bread off of it. DH really wanted one.2nd Puka Dog for us. The Gelato place next door is so yummy.

Every time we went by Trop Dreams;;;they were not open.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many beaches........

Sounds like a great vacation. Your dog story reminds me of when we were on Maui past Hana, and the Falls and there was a dog in the road. When we stopped some kids came out and sold us candy bars for their baseball team. The dog obviously had done his job well. LOL

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,159 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many beaches........

Thanks for the story Cindy! Too funny - we went past the powerhouse, all the way to the end of Powerline Rd a couple of years ago - I don't know who's house is back there, but at the driveway there is a guy (white dude) standing there yelling at us that it's private property - we were still on the road and had no intention of coming onto his/the driveway.- Skip says to him "fine, we'll turn around" and this guy is still hollaring....I mean paranoid to the limit....really made me wonder what was going on back there......

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time...I want to hear every detail!

3Chihuahuas

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: So many beaches........

Just to clarify: The "road" typically called Powerline is a dirt road inland from Princeville that is gated and used as a public trail (though some locals still 4WD parts of it). It connects the NS to the east side arboratum over a 2000' ridge--not a bad hike.

What you're talking about is the Wainiha Powerhouse Rd. I haven't been up there in a while, so I don't remember how it ends. But usually, if it turns into a private driveway, there is a gate even if open, a posted sign, or at least a mailbox--and you can tell from the change in pavement.

That road is a mixed bag: some residents are extremely private people trying to get away from the crowds, and others have vacation rentals so they can pay for their property. I thought there was a rental cottage all the way up near the end by the powerhouse (it was on the forums a while ago), so I'm surprised someone chased you off.

That said, it's always wise to turn around when the dogs come running out (or just sit there), and of course when someone asks to leave, however impolitely.

And now a bit of history: The powerhouse (a hydro electric generator) was installed around 1900, 1906 if I recall correctly, to take advantage of the abundant north shore water. The owner was Gay and Robinson who ran the electricity across the area of the Powerline trail (hence the name) and out to the West side. They used the electricity to pump water out of the Hanapepe and/or Olokele rivers up to the cane fields on the side of the hills.

I heard that there is a new hydro-electric plant in the Koloa area (and there was a bad plan for one in the Wailua area), but until that comes online, the Wainiha powerhouse is the main source of renewable energy on Kaua'i, but providing less than 10% of the island's needs in recent years.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,159 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many beaches........

Yes KauaiHiker - my bad - it was the Wainiha Powerhouse Rd. I too thought there was a vacation rental way at the end. Who knows, the guy yelling at us was pretty scroungy looking - he may not have even belonged there....

3Chihuahuas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many beaches........

Wow!

That is a lot of eating out!

May I ask ..... what was your restaurant budget?

More importantly....did you get the chance to visit Polihali on this trip?

I am curious as to what condition the roadway is in these days.

Ah...the memories.

IMO, this is THE beach to visit, if accessible, when you plan your Kaua'i adventure.

Remote and spectacular. And overnight camping on the beach is magical and mystical. You can touch the stars!

Glad you had a wonderful visit!

Hope you had a safe return.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many beaches........

Mauiman some of those meals were for one..Me. Husband doesnt usually eat bfast and I do. Bubba Burgers are only $3.50. LOL Didnt make it to Polihale this trip.

I dont eat out much around here. so I like to eat out when we travel. Also with the Gulf Coast mess we probably wont get fresh seafood for a long time.