We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recent news for coco palms

NM
Level Contributor
932 posts
Save Topic
recent news for coco palms

Sorry but i could not find recent info in the search for coco palms. What is the latest? Is it still dilapidated and fenced off?

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recent news for coco palms

It is indeed run down and dilapidated but not all is fenced off.

The Garden Island News has lots of old articles:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/article_51077…

northshorekauai.com/2009/…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recent news for coco palms

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Uncle Larry Rivera still performs his "Blue Hawai'i" weddings there on the lagoon - and he gets a pretty fair number of people doing it as well!

Also, recently they were using the grounds for "fencing" practice (I guess that is what you'd call it) for the "Pirates" movie - I thought that was kinda interesting!

Other than that - the dilapidated buildings are still there - amazingly enough - you'd have thought they'd have crumbled to the ground by now!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: recent news for coco palms

Coco palms, its lagoons, and the adjacent palm grove are entirely fenced off and guarded by a resident caretaker. So you cannot just wander inside and have a look. You can get views of all three of these by parking near the intersection of Kuamoo Rd and the main Highway and walking inland on Kuamoo Rd (but it is a busy road with a narrow shoulder, so be very careful).

I believe that the Kaua'i Movie tours includes a tour that is authorized to visit. I think you get to walk around the lagoon and see the wedding chapel and Elvis's bungalow, but not go inside any building due to their dilapidated and hazardous condition.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recent news for coco palms

Kaua'i Movie Tours may not be operational. We were going to try them in late June - gee, was only last week we were there! - and they said no tours at this time.

We had decided what the heck - it would be a way to get in and have a final good look around the grounds at Coco Palms, but nothing available through them at all.

Edited: 30 June 2010, 14:56
Hollister...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: recent news for coco palms

Oh wow. My 7-year old daughter is a HUGE Elvis fan and loves Blue Hawaii...I was actually thinking about taking her on the movie tour when we are there in a couple of weeks just so she could see the Coco Palms grounds. I found this on their website...sadly they are no longer in business as you suspected. :(

www.hawaiimovietour.com/myweb1a/tourintro.htm

Michelle

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recent news for coco palms

Well between you and me I am glad to see the movie tour go away. Sorry, but those trucks parked in the lot in Kapaa always made me crazy. It was expensive to take the tour and its something you can do on your own.

Seeing Coco Palms in its present state would depress me. I would rather look the right as I was passing the old hotel and remember the glory days.

TEAR IT Down!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recent news for coco palms

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you turn off the highway at Kuamo'o Road (on your way up to Opaeka'a Falls and the Wailua River overlook) - you can get a pretty nice view from the street of the coconut grove and the lagoons.

If you want to do movie tours - I'd suggest buying "The Kaua'i Movie Book" by Chris Cook - it doesn't have some of the more recent films, but it has all the old favorites and as "Jebett" has said, many, many of the movie sites are accessible to the public - the only thing I really liked about the Kaua'i Movie Tours operation was the 4 X 4 excursion that took you onto private land and off-road to see some of the more "out of the way" locations.

But - still easy to get to lots of others - just with book in hand!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recent news for coco palms

jebett - hate to tell you this, but you'll see it next week anyway. The trucks are all still there. just sitting there. all day and night long.......

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recent news for coco palms

ARGGGG!!!!!

They'll have to do something with them.... I hope!!!!! Between those trucks and the stalls for cold coconuts and shave ice, it cheapens cute Kapaa Town, at least that section of it. The home across the street was my father in laws birth place so I hate to see that area turn into a giant T shirt shop and truck depot. Sorry I will get off that soap box and finish my work.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recent news for coco palms

mezzsop, the trucks were gone yesterday and today.