We've started packing for a trip next week, where we'll spend 1 week on Kauai, splitting a 2BR condo in Kauai with my parents. We'll also have one night at the Hyatt in the middle. It'll be our 1 year old son's first trip to Hawaii. We took him to the Olympics in February, but this one will be a lot different due to polar opposites in weather and schedule rigidity.
We have some questions and are requesting any suggestions or guidance in helping us make a decision.
1) We currently use cloth diapers at home, and we'd like to use them on Kauai as well. We could save bulk and a little time by using disposables, but . Anybody done this before? Or are we crazy?
2) Right now it's cheaper (negligible amount) to get 2 standard cars than 1 minivan. I'm torn as to which option to take. It would be nice to have the space of the minivan, but with a full-size we can probably comfortably circumnavigate the island.
3) Any baby shoe recommendations for the beach? We have some Robeez, and some that are similar to our Keen Newport H2s. I think the combo should sort us out, or are there another pair that works for sand/dirt?
4) We have two 5+ hour plane rides, when the little one hasn't done more than 2.5....any distraction/toy tips?
5) Any chance part of the Maha'ulepu hike is doable with a back-carrier (Ergo)?
Thanks in advance for any help!