We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

We've started packing for a trip next week, where we'll spend 1 week on Kauai, splitting a 2BR condo in Kauai with my parents. We'll also have one night at the Hyatt in the middle. It'll be our 1 year old son's first trip to Hawaii. We took him to the Olympics in February, but this one will be a lot different due to polar opposites in weather and schedule rigidity.

We have some questions and are requesting any suggestions or guidance in helping us make a decision.

1) We currently use cloth diapers at home, and we'd like to use them on Kauai as well. We could save bulk and a little time by using disposables, but . Anybody done this before? Or are we crazy?

2) Right now it's cheaper (negligible amount) to get 2 standard cars than 1 minivan. I'm torn as to which option to take. It would be nice to have the space of the minivan, but with a full-size we can probably comfortably circumnavigate the island.

3) Any baby shoe recommendations for the beach? We have some Robeez, and some that are similar to our Keen Newport H2s. I think the combo should sort us out, or are there another pair that works for sand/dirt?

4) We have two 5+ hour plane rides, when the little one hasn't done more than 2.5....any distraction/toy tips?

5) Any chance part of the Maha'ulepu hike is doable with a back-carrier (Ergo)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

<<1) We currently use cloth diapers at home, and we'd like to use them on Kauai as well. We could save bulk and a little time by using disposables, but . Anybody done this before? Or are we crazy?>>

Well, IMO, yes. I've traveled with my kids since they were both 3 months old and I cannot even imagine how much more laundry I would have to deal with if I added cloth diapers to this mix.

<<2) Right now it's cheaper (negligible amount) to get 2 standard cars than 1 minivan. I'm torn as to which option to take. It would be nice to have the space of the minivan, but with a full-size we can probably comfortably circumnavigate the island.>>

I guess it depends if you and your parents will always want to go to the same places at the same time. I think it would be more convienent to have two cars for flexibility.

<<3) Any baby shoe recommendations for the beach? We have some Robeez, and some that are similar to our Keen Newport H2s. I think the combo should sort us out, or are there another pair that works for sand/dirt?>>

I can't make any recommendations on this one. I guess I never thought much about the shoe situation with the kids. My kids just had basic, open toe sandals while on Kauai. They were barefoot while on the beaches.

<<4) We have two 5+ hour plane rides, when the little one hasn't done more than 2.5....any distraction/toy tips?>>

I guess you are talking about there and back??? I would bring whatever you bring when going out to dinner. Board books, other small toys that you normally carry in your diaper bag. Also, a few walks up and down the ailses of the airplane. My kids also napped a while on the flight over and back.

<<5) Any chance part of the Maha'ulepu hike is doable with a back-carrier (Ergo)?>>

Yep! We used these a lot while on the island. We loved taking the kids along the Maha'ulepu and also in the Arboretium area for some fun hikes.

We rented a lot of our baby gear from Ready Rentals (www.readyrentals.com) while on Kauai so we would not have to bring all of this stuff over from home.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 07:21
California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

1. I would leave the cloth diapers at home for sure. Its vacation!

2. Maybe get a standard size car and an economy? Otherwise if all of you want to be in one car you can't fit the car seat in and your parents.

3. How about crocs? I see tons of infants in crocs around here.

4. food is the best distraction and a video player if he has the concentration for it. When my kids were a bit older coloring and drawing were big but a 1 year old doesn't do much but eat and poop.

The biggest suggestion I have is to pack hats for the little one. My but I have seen a lot of burned babies the last few days. Their little skin is so sensitive and even in cloudy weather they can burn baby burn! Keep them protected.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

<<The biggest suggestion I have is to pack hats for the little one>>

Great suggestion, jebett. We too always had a hat on the kids when they were very little. A "legionnaire hat " that had a back flap to cover the next and side flaps to cover the ears. We also invested in sun proof bathing suits for the kids. At that age, they have some great one piece sunsuits that cover most of the arms and legs as well. My kids wear them all of the time now (2 piece suits).

p.s. I'm not fond of crocs and my kids would not be caught dead in them. But that's me. They wear flip flops now. My oldest is wearing my Scotts!

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

On a one year old crocs are cute. The little one probably isn't walking much anyway.

My now 25 year old took his first steps on Kauai at 1 and I don't think I had shoes him the entire trip.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

On the car, it all depends on if you think you'll all be travelling together all the time or if you'll split up and do seperate activities. I like Jebett's idea. It's what we used to do. One van and one small car for us if we wanted to take off on our own. Just don't get a convertible. On my last trip there was a family with 2 babies in car seats. Every time I saw them coming and going the top was down and the babies were in their car seats , top down, full sun blazing on them. Not smart.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

Aloha! I admire your committment to cloth - I also used those for my kids and did do them on a few vacations (gotta be staying at a place with a washer & dryer). I did a bit of searching and found a cloth diaper service on Kauai - you might contact them and see if they would service you while you are there - then you wouldn't have to haul anything on your trip.

Bottoms Up, Cloth Diaper Service, Island Wide Delivery, Call Annabet (808) 639-9300, which I found on a site called Natural Hawaii.

As well as a few favorites for the flight, I always bought some brand new things my kids hadn't seen - new books and toys. Most 1 yr olds love lift the flap books. Also plenty of liquids and snacks. Let kids run/play before flights and during any stops.

Don't forget to stop at the playground at Lydgate -have a wonderful trip and do let us know how it went for you! :)

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

Thanks for all of the suggestions/tips.

Still deciding on the diapers. Went ahead and booked a standard car instead of the minivan for $13/day via Priceline. Looks like we're covered with our two shoe options. I know there aren't many escalators in Kauai, but I won't touch Crocs because of that. We have a couple hats, but he really hates them all of a sudden...It'll be a constant battle getting him to keep them on, but with Irish/English/Canadian heritage, the sun will always be an enemy.

One more week to go! I'll be posting pictures to facebook/twitter...I'll try to post a link here. If anyone has an iPhone 4 I can offer Facetime with the ocean! Thanks again.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

Which makes me think of a quick quiz:

How many escalators are there on Kaua'i and where?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

Only one I know of is Kauai Marriott.....and the only other possibly place might be the St. Regis?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,680 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions/Guidance for Baby's First Hawaii Trip

I am curious what Kauai locals think about cloth diapers vs. disposable? PZP? Janet?

Being an island, all trash has to be buried locally, do diapers take up too much room or is washing and treating the water worse for the local environment?

Has there been local debate on the two?